Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Recoil Spring?

5 posters

Go down

Which Recoil Spring? Empty Which Recoil Spring?

Post by xringshooter 10/6/2012, 7:46 pm

I recently bought a used Kimber 1911 .45 Auto that I'm using for a wad gun. The pistol functions normally with one exception: the last round in the magazine, after being fired, doesn't completely eject. It usually gets trapped sideways in the action, and the slide doesn't lock back. I've experimented with different brands of magazines with no difference in what happens. I'm loading 4.0 grains of Bullseye over both 185 grain cast lead and 185 grain JHP bullets. I'm currently using a Wolfe 11-pound variable rate recoil spring. Do I need a softer or stronger recoil spring?

Regards, and tight groups,
Bill Thibeault

xringshooter

Back to top Go down

Which Recoil Spring? Empty Re: Which Recoil Spring?

Post by Rob Kovach 10/6/2012, 8:13 pm

With an 11lb spring, I'd assume you are using a slide mounted red dot? If you weren't I would have to think that spring would have been more than light enough for the lead bullets. I use the same load with a .468 crimp, a 14 lb standard spring with standard spring guide.

I have to use 4.3 gr when I load the JHP's with a .468 crimp otherwise every shot feels different and flies a different direction.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris_D 10/7/2012, 6:12 am

Don't forget that there is another spring that affects the slide's ability to cycle. As the slide comes back, it also has to cock the hammer. If you have a heavy main spring, that will also slow down you slide. Look for a lighter main spring and try that to see if it helps.

Chris

Chris_D

Back to top Go down

Post by xringshooter 10/7/2012, 12:24 pm

Rob & Chris,

Yes, I have an UltraDot scope mounted on the slide. I just installed a ten-pound recoil spring, and hopefully will try it out on Tuesday. I also have a nine-pound spring if the ten pounder doesn't get the job done.

Regards,
Bill Thibeault

xringshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 10/8/2012, 7:52 am

I'm not sure about Kimber, but you may want to try an extended ejector.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 10/8/2012, 10:09 am

If a 11 is not letting it function then a 10 would be the next step, the gun should eject all rounds with the correct spring
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by xringshooter 10/16/2012, 3:05 pm

Finally got to the range today to test springs. I have a Kimber Eclipse Target II with a Kart barrel and barrel bushing, and a slide-mounted 1" UltraDot optical sight.

I found that a Wolff 10-pound spring worked perfectly. It ejected all spent brass from loads using Nosler 185 grain Custom Competition JHPs and Zero 185 grain cast lead semi-wadcutter HP's, both loaded over 4.0 grains of Bullseye powder. Now if I could only shoot as good as my pistol does...

Regards, and thanks, to all,
Bill.

xringshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down