Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What brass do you prefer, and why?

+17
Founder
Allen Barnett
lablover
New2BE
Aufidius
fc60
Vociferous
SmokinNJokin
Multiracer
james r chapman
weber1b
Wobbley
spursnguns
JKR
jglenn21
robert84010
bruce martindale
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What brass do you prefer, and why? - Page 2 Empty What brass do you prefer, and why?

Post by bruce martindale Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:20 am

First topic message reminder :

Trying to gain insight here, kinda like what Jerry Keefer frequently shared...

In 45, I had always used WW or RP cases for lead, with minimal resizing to avoid base damage and swaging. These have the thinnest wall thicknesses. 

I used Federal with jacketed along with standard RCBS resizer dies as they had the thicker walls and better bullet pull is to be had with a smaller case inside diameter. 

I also hear folks use Federal for lead, perhaps with hardcast and bevel base due to case quality?

Thoughts?

Thanks

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

What brass do you prefer, and why? - Page 2 Empty Re: What brass do you prefer, and why?

Post by Founder Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:08 am

What brass do you prefer, and why? - Page 2 20171010
I shot this match with 5 split brass and no 2 headlamps the same in my stock barreled and stock bushing Springfield.

I don't think that brass means a hill of beans difference in .45acp. Every one of the shots went exactly where the dot was when the shot broke.
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

What brass do you prefer, and why? - Page 2 Empty Re: What brass do you prefer, and why?

Post by Founder Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:10 am

....now don't misunderstand....I didn't say it doesn't make ANY difference, but I do believe that it doesn't make enough of a difference to make a big deal out of it. It's the nut behind the trigger that shoots a good shot.
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:40 am

What he said.  Very Happy Well, except there are some you should never use. Armscor jumped to mind. Maybe we should have a thread on brass to never use.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:39 pm

I bought a ton of HPR when Midway was selling it cheap last year. That'll be my long line for years to come most likely. Starline and Winchester for the short line. I've seen 3 different flashhole sizes in Federal .45 brass. So i through it into my miscellaneous pile for practice.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:43 am

I'll nominate A-Merc brass for the worst ever Len
Never close to spec..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:16 am

A-Merc goes directly to scrap...14 mil walls anyone?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:08 am

I have no willpower when it comes to good deals on good brass. 

Federal - I got 2 5gal buckets of once fired brass, free.  I never saved it b4 shooting Bullseye, 1 bucket left.

HPR (made by Starline?*) - I bought 6K because I got a smokin' deal on it (also Midway).

Starline - Bought 2K because H&K was selling out of it and had it $40/1,000 less than Starline's price

New HPR or Starline brass will group tighter at 50, but not enough to make a difference for me - yet.

- Dave
* The HPR brass actually has tighter specs than Starline based on the samples I took.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by New2BE Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:26 am

+2 for A Merc, also nominate PPU, *1, PMC, and Blaser

New2BE

Back to top Go down

Post by kidneyboy Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:16 am

Founder wrote:....now don't misunderstand....I didn't say it doesn't make ANY difference, but I do believe that it doesn't make enough of a difference to make a big deal out of it. It's the nut behind the trigger that shoots a good shot.

What he said ^^^^^

I get cleaned, single headstamp brass (usually Federal, Win or R&P) for .02 cents a piece. While some is set aside for the next shortage it's not worth picking up at that price.

kidneyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2