Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is "canted" good, or bad?

+11
Wobbley
Slartybartfast
Ed Hall
WesG
DA/SA
dronning
james r chapman
willnewton
Founder
NKF
mikemyers
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is "canted" good, or bad? - Page 2 Empty Is "canted" good, or bad?

Post by mikemyers Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

I tried a search, and didn't find any topics on this.  Maybe my body is just wired differently, and nobody else here has this issue.

Now that I'm only shooting one handed, I notice that the natural orientation of my hand/gun seems to want to be canted "in" up to ten degrees.  If I fight this, I can keep the gun vertical, but with so many other things, maybe we're also supposed to do what the body feels is "natural"?  I guess that's my question.

Slow fire - I'll bring up my arm (which now stops with the dot over the target, finally!), and as per Brian, start applying pressure to the trigger immediately, while aiming to get the "wobble" to settle within the 10 ring if possible.  Because it's training, and I want to get in the habit of always doing "follow-through", and because I think it's helping build up the appropriate muscles, my follow-through is 10 or 15 seconds.  During that time, my hand just naturally wants to twist so it's "canted inward" at the top.  (Also during that time, I try to keep the wobble right over the 10 ring, which is getting easier to do, the more I do this.)

Is it better to just ignore the canting, and let the hand/gun do what it wants, or to force them to stay vertical, which starts to feel like I'm straining.

As a side comment, I dry-fire in half hour practice sessions, the first half wearing a one pound wrist weight over my right wrist, and the second half without the weight.  While the weight is on, my hand and gun has a very strong tendency to "cant".  When I take the wrist weight off, it's easier to keep my hand and gun vertical.  My guess is the "canting" is caused by my arm trying to support a 3.6 pound weight out in front of it, plus the weight of the arm, plus the one pound wrist weight.  Maybe when I get acclimated to the weight of the gun (which now has the Aimpoint 9000sc on it), the tendency to cant will go away?

In doing a Google Search, I did find this, but I'd rather know what you guys recommend:
http://concealednation.org/2015/05/one-handed-shooting-canted-or-vertical-do-you-even-practice-this/
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Is "canted" good, or bad? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is "canted" good, or bad?

Post by joy2shoot Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:10 am

I hold at a cant for medical reasons.  For me it is not about being more accurate or stable.  It is about being able to shoot vs not being able.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by robvasi Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:56 am

https://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/canting-effect-on-point-of-impact/

robvasi

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:26 am

Interesting website, lots of details - looking at the images near the end, I was wondering when/if someone like Aimpoint will build an electronic or mechanical cant display into their sights.  Seems to me that the big thing isn't whether or not to cant, but to always do it the same way, be consistent.  Bad news for me, as when I pick up the gun I have no cant, and it sort of follows, increasing over time.  On the other hand, knowing this, it's possible to hold it back, at least for me.

(The worst thing for me about "cant" is that my computer used to correct the spelling to "can't".  Not any more.)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:19 pm

If there is a change to canting as the match progresses, it is a change to the natural.  Slouching more for example.  You start out full of vim and vinegar, standing tall consciously.  Then you tire and start forgetting about holding your shoulder back and your head high.

So why not start natural?  Then don't worry about it.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:53 pm

Don't fight against the natural angles of your body.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2