Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total noob regarding upgrades Ruger Mark 2 ( esp grips)

5 posters

Go down

Total noob regarding upgrades Ruger Mark 2 ( esp grips) Empty Total noob regarding upgrades Ruger Mark 2 ( esp grips)

Post by bigscott Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:02 pm

Up until now did a little bullseye shooting 25 / 50 yards but currently shooting indoors 50 feet at our club weekly shoots. Did a Volq. trigger/hammer (etc) kit and recently added an Ultradot. Shooting practice on the clock I'm doing 260-280 for 30 rounds. My Hogue grips are rubber and I have a hard time with a consistent grip. Looking at Volq. laminated grips or others with some type of heel rest. At around 150 for the laminated, wondering if I'm spending a lot of money trying to squeeze a few points out of a gun that will only go so far. My Kimber 1911, on the other hand, I know will shoot better than I can. Any advice or opinion greatly appreciated.

bigscott

Back to top Go down

Total noob regarding upgrades Ruger Mark 2 ( esp grips) Empty Re: Total noob regarding upgrades Ruger Mark 2 ( esp grips)

Post by jakuda Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:21 pm

Truthfully, the Ruger can hold 2" and less out of the box. The gun can take you to High Master if you want. That being said, usually shooters prefer a lighter pistol, different grip angle, different recoil, different trigger feel, etc....

So ultimately it's up to you. All types of pistols are used for the 22 portion; no one is necessarily better than others. The current fad is using a Marvel conversion on top of a 1911 lower for the 22, but that's just the popular trend because some top shooters are doing it. I know of one High Master still shooting at HM level using his Ruger. Don't let any shooter tell you that a certain setup of equipment is the way to go.

I find that I need to look at my hand for landmarks, that allows me to grip a pistol the same each time. Is the grip twisting in your hand? That may signify that you need to fix your grip and not necessarily the grip itself...of course the expensive aftermarket grips make that easier... Also I used skateboard grip tape (cheap on amazon or your local skater shop) on the backstrap (two thin strips) which also helps with grip. If your grips don't wrap around the front, I put the grip tape on the front strap as well.

I also used to use custom made Fung (google it) grips for my Ruger. It duplicates the feel of the European olympic grips.

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Total noob regarding upgrades Ruger Mark 2 ( esp grips) Empty Re: Total noob regarding upgrades Ruger Mark 2 ( esp grips)

Post by BHeintz Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:15 pm

I pretty much agree with everything jakuda said. Your Ruger should be plenty accurate and reliable to shoot High Master scores. It all comes down to what you like. I started out with a Ruger and still shoot one. I have always liked the way it felt, and have been able to continually improve using it. I use a Hogue finger groove grip without a thumb rest and really like it. If you were going to go with a custom made grip the Fung grips seem to be priced cheaper than some of the other brands.

BHeintz

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:27 am

I shoot a Kimber 1911 and a Ruger MK II for bullseye. Both have Herrett grips, both have red dots. Both have about the same amount of takeup on the trigger and approx the same trigger weight.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by rfmiller Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:15 pm

I decided to get the Volquartsen grips after trying a volthane set. Eventually decided to spend the money for the laminated wood ones for two reasons: 1 Vanity, I like the look of the wood 2 if needed, I could carve or sand the wood ones to customize the grip. Ended up leaving them alone (at least for now) as I like the results. Very happy with the purchase but grip fit can be very individual. I suggest that you find someone with a set to try before spending that much.

rfmiller

Back to top Go down

Total noob regarding upgrades Ruger Mark 2 ( esp grips) Empty Thank you

Post by bigscott Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:52 pm

I know what you mean about the ergonomics in general. With the red dot and compensator, the gun weighs a ton, relatively speaking. Many moons ago I held, and maybe had the opportunity to shoot what I believe was a Free pistol, maybe a Pardini. It felt literally like an extension of my hand. I appreciate the pointers. I know I have just begun my journey and need to learn to shoot as much or more than having the right gun.

bigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by rfmiller Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:33 pm

Yes it can get heavy. My Mk III is the Hunter model and I put a compensator on it at first. After getting the Volquartsen grips I felt it was too front heavy and removed the comp. It balances much better now. I believe that balance is more important than weight, although weight certainly adds up in a 2700 match. My exercise routine now includes holding a five pound weight at arms length for 30 seconds as still as I can.

rfmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down