Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruger Mark IV

+20
jeepinjeepin
flphotog
PaPow
rich.tullo
marlin1881
Allen Barnett
JimVon
Saladman
Keyholed
Fire Escape
LenV
PaulNYC
dstates
DavidR
ChipEck
desben
Jon Eulette
BE Mike
Tim:H11
cdrt
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ruger Mark IV Empty Ruger Mark IV

Post by cdrt 9/23/2016, 9:38 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAteY5RFEoI

Finally!!!

Last edited by cdrt on 9/23/2016, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Ruger Mark IV Empty Re: Ruger Mark IV

Post by Tim:H11 9/23/2016, 9:51 pm

NEAT!

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt 9/23/2016, 10:49 pm

They have a target version as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqbiyPMA7CE
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 9/24/2016, 1:37 pm

They're going to sell a whole bunch of these. I never thought it was that hard to disassemble the old ones once it was done a couple of times, but this makes it a snap. Them getting rid of the problems, that were formally presented as improvements will be popular, as well.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/24/2016, 1:52 pm

I sure hope that the receiver to the frame locks up good and tight because it has been problematic on many ruger's for it to be loose.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 9/24/2016, 3:53 pm

Looks great. The smooth back-strap looks comfortable; the pointy release stick from my Mk.3 digs into my palm after a while. They took away the loaded-pistol indicator, a minus in my book as I liked that feature to confirm I had a loaded pistol before a string. They kept the magazine disconnect; hopefully it doesn't hinder too much with the trigger.

I'll wait for a few more reviews, but it's likely the gun I'll recommend when new guys ask me what to get.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by ChipEck 9/24/2016, 6:43 pm

Does anyone know if they got rid of the ridiculous "magazine safety". "feature"

Chip
ChipEck
ChipEck

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 9/24/2016, 7:51 pm

I hope this drives the price of MKII's down so I can get one cheap! lol!

Maybe a government model!

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 9/25/2016, 9:15 am

Chip, the magazine safety, or mag disconnect, is still there... Yet, I hear the pistol is not available for sale in California or Massachusetts.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 9/26/2016, 11:42 am

desben wrote:Chip, the magazine safety, or mag disconnect, is still there... Yet, I hear the pistol is not available for sale in California or Massachusetts.
Will these moronic laws ever go away? They have nothing to do with crime reduction nor firearms safety. They just make it harder to own handguns and deterring people (with needless rules) from being able to buy handguns seems to be the true purpose. Will the public ever come to this conclusion and demand that these laws be repealed, so law-abiding folks can buy guns for legitimate target shooting, like bullseye matches?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 9/26/2016, 12:17 pm

The videos did say the bolt can be sling shot on the 4 so they did change the mag safety in how it works. this should be better entry level bullseye 22 than the mk3
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 9/26/2016, 1:35 pm

DavidR wrote:The videos did say the bolt can be sling shot on the 4 so they did change the mag safety in how it works. this should be better entry level bullseye 22 than the mk3

You actually can sling shot the bolt on a MKIII Target (standard frame) but not any of the 22/45 models.

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 9/26/2016, 1:52 pm

I can slingshot the bolt on my MKIII 22/45. It just takes a very simple mod; you remove the detent ball from the slide release button. But yes, in stock form, it's broken.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by dstates 9/26/2016, 2:21 pm

The 22 Plinkster video had some inaccuracies in it with respect to the Mk III.  He had a 22/45 in his video and talked as if that was the only MkIII version.  You can get a MkIII that looks just like the MkIV hunter he shows with the metal frame and slide release tab.  You can sling shot that version of the MkIII as well.

From what I can tell the biggest difference between MkIII and MkIV are:
-easy take down with push of a button (which also drives a mainspring housing difference)
-no more loaded chamber indicator
-ambi safety

Other than that, I didn't notice any other differences.

dstates

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulNYC 9/26/2016, 10:09 pm

The new one looks good, but seems awfully expensive right now.
PaulNYC
PaulNYC

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 9/26/2016, 11:44 pm

539.00 for the MkIII hunter or 599.00 for the MkIV. The take down feature is worth the 60.00 difference.

LenV
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/587320796
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by PaulNYC 9/27/2016, 7:28 am

I guess that's what I get for looking at gun broker.
PaulNYC
PaulNYC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape 9/27/2016, 8:31 am

LenV wrote:539.00 for the MkIII hunter or 599.00 for the MkIV. The take down feature is worth the 60.00 difference.

LenV
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/587320796

The new take down system may indeed be worth the $60 but in actuality they are finally fixing a defect in the design. They as well as everyone else knew about the defect and I expect they finally changed the design so as to not lose too much market share to the S&W Victory (which they still need to compete with in price). They probably want to (and should) sell the gun at the same price as the Mk III but to do so would make all the existing Mk IIIs white elephants in need of deep discounts to keep them from taking up shelf space ..... forever. Give them a year or two to clear existing inventory and the price will come down. For anyone with a burning need to have a MK III instead, my bet is that you don't have to rush out and buy one and perhaps the price and availability of Mk IIs will improve some now.

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape 10/3/2016, 12:14 pm

And so it begins!

[url=https://www.kygunco.com/productgroup?name=MKIII&utm_source=KyGunCo marketing&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=MKIII Blowout]https://www.kygunco.com/productgroup?name=MKIII&utm_source=KyGunCo%20Marketing&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=MKIII%20Blowout[/url]

I predict prices have a little more room to come down, particularly as Mk IVs show up on gun shop shelves. Then again I have never been a genius at judging markets.

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyholed 10/4/2016, 7:07 am

Hideous.

Disassembly was never that bad, you just needed special tools. Like a rubber mallet, and a vise. Meanwhile, the magazine disconnect is still there, and they apparently no longer include an optics rail with the gun. Whether or not the new disassembly actually works remains to be seen. Some Victory owners report that the S&W takedown is occasionally not so easy--right down to breaking wrenches.

They should just go back to making the Mk II and be done with it.

Keyholed

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 10/4/2016, 8:39 am

Keyholed wrote:Hideous.

Disassembly was never that bad, you just needed special tools. Like a rubber mallet, and a vise. Meanwhile, the magazine disconnect is still there, and they apparently no longer include an optics rail with the gun. Whether or not the new disassembly actually works remains to be seen. Some Victory owners report that the S&W takedown is occasionally not so easy--right down to breaking wrenches.

They should just go back to making the Mk II and be done with it.
The new disassembly really does work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqbiyPMA7CE
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyholed 10/6/2016, 3:02 am

Gotta give it more time--and more numbers--than that. The S&W Victory didn't have any problems reported for awhile.

Keyholed

Back to top Go down

Post by Saladman 10/6/2016, 4:33 pm

@ Keyholed

That's true it didn't.  When my local range acquired a sample and I rented it, I found it to not be 100% reliable.  The accuracy was excellent however...

Saladman

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 10/6/2016, 6:03 pm

Keyholed wrote:Gotta give it more time--and more numbers--than that. The S&W Victory didn't have any problems reported for awhile.
Buy a MK IV and report back after a case of quality .22 ammo. Somebody has to test the waters! Twisted Evil
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by JimVon 10/11/2016, 6:58 pm

Hi all.  I'm new to this forum and have been poking around a little.  I would not classify myself as a Bullseye shooter by any means, but am distinguished in rifle.  This is my 1st post.
I recently purchased a MK IV Stainless Target and took it to the range today.  This is my 1st MK pistol, so my observations are coming from someone new to the platform.  
Disassembly - its exactly what people from the forum describe.  Its super easy.  I didn't even need to look at the instructions.  It comes apart in seconds. 
Ammunition - I took every brand of 22 ammo I own with me.  Remington Thunderbolt, Federal Ultra Match, Wolf Match and CCI Green Tag.  The only ammo that the pistol would cycle was Remington Thunderbolt.
Trigger - I have nothing to reference MK triggers, but this one feels terrible (heavy).  I'm used to Geissele's on service rifles, and this one felt like a disaster compared to them.  The 1st thing I'm going to look at is getting a better trigger.
Today was my 1st time shooting at the 50 yd target and I was able to keep most of the rounds on paper with a little practice and sight tuning.  
While I was disappointed with the ammo issues and the trigger, I do like the pistol.  It seems to shoot decent groups (for me). It was also a fun gun to shoot.  I could also do with out the magazine disconnect.

Last edited by JimVon on 10/11/2016, 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

JimVon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next