Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hardball gun trigger take up/sear release weights?

+3
Wes Lorenz
STEVE SAMELAK
SmoothBore870
7 posters

Go down

Hardball gun trigger take up/sear release weights? Empty Hardball gun trigger take up/sear release weights?

Post by SmoothBore870 Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:05 am

I am trying to find a good place to shoot for with regard to both the trigger take up weight and sear release weight on an EIC pistol.  I have a Wolf sear spring, whatever mainspring comes with a Wolf 14# recoil spring, and KC Roll trigger kit. 

Upon first installation I had a fabulously roll, but only a hair over three pounds combined trigger weight according to my spring scale. I bent the disconnector leaf and sear leaf slightly more and got a weight just over 4 lbs. But the roll now was very short, approaching crisp, I assume from too much weight on the sear leaf to where once it reached the breaking point it all went at once. I backed off a little and it improved some, but the sear movement is almost creepy now. In order to maintain uninterrupted trigger movement I almost have to jerk it. It seems like the sear leaf weight builds to a point then lets go partially, then must build again to let the remaining weight go (I assume from the increasing tension as it is flexed rearward). 

Currently, my trigger take up is a little over 2 lbs. and the sear release takes a little less than 2 pounds, dropping the hammer at 4lbs pretty much every time. Should I try and just take more off the sear leaf and add more to the center leaf, or would changing mainspring weights be a good option in this case?

SmoothBore870

Back to top Go down

Hardball gun trigger take up/sear release weights? Empty Re: Hardball gun trigger take up/sear release weights?

Post by SmoothBore870 Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:03 am

Correction, the Wolff 14# recoil spring came with a firing pin spring, so I am not sure now what weight mainspring I am using.

SmoothBore870

Back to top Go down

Hardball gun trigger take up/sear release weights? Empty Re: Hardball gun trigger take up/sear release weights?

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:57 am

First thing I would do is to find out what springs you have in there so you have some fixed/known values to work with.  Second, I'd put in another Wolff sear spring that has not been molested to see if you get back the roll feel that you liked.
If that was a success but with too light of a trigger pull, I'd add some tension to the finger that pushes back against the trigger bow.  As always test with one round a couple times before loading multiple rounds in the mag....trust but verify.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:33 am

Maybe some de-burring and polish of the sear & disco leafs. Is the leaf spring binding on the hammer strut? - smoking the parts (candle soot) works wonders for finding rub points.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by SmoothBore870 Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:33 pm

I have no visible burrs on the sear spring, but I probably should polish it nonetheless. I have taken pressure off the sear leaf and it brought it back to a smooth roll but only about 3.5lbs. I tried to add more pressure to the diconnector leaf but it was getting too short because of the bend and I was afraid it might slip under the disconnector at reset. Still only measured about 3.5lbs. I put 151 nosler 185jhp in a ziplock bag and made my own trigger weight and it picked it up just barely before release so hopefully I am close enough to 4lbs to pass trigger weight at Perry in a few weeks.

SmoothBore870

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:26 pm

Sometimes you just have to use a heavier spring
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:53 am

Don't forget that your lube and its reaction to the day's temperature will change the weight.  If you're close, be cautious.

Two examples:

1) One of my teammates was really happy with a new lube he found and used it on his and a teammates ball gun the morning of a match.  Both were really happy with the feel, but the Armorer disqualified both guns for less than 4 pound pulls.

2) At our Sectionals I have seen many guns come in from the cold trunks of cars and fail the trigger weight.  After warming them for a while they pass.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:40 pm

Ed Hall wrote:Don't forget that your lube and its reaction to the day's temperature will change the weight.  If you're close, be cautious.

Two examples:

1) One of my teammates was really happy with a new lube he found and used it on his and a teammates ball gun the morning of a match.  Both were really happy with the feel, but the Armorer disqualified both guns for less than 4 pound pulls.

2) At our Sectionals I have seen many guns come in from the cold trunks of cars and fail the trigger weight.  After warming them for a while they pass.
+1, failed a spot check on the line at Perry, it was 20 degrees warmer @ Perry than when I checked my gun back in MN, using official weights.  I always  set my trigger just shy of 3.75 lbs.  The official let me adjust it on their bench while the rest of the line got tested.  They told me I could shoot the next relay if I wanted but I made it back to the line at the end of the 3 minute prep so I decided to shoot.  It took 5 minutes of dry firing to calm down, posted a decent score too.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:06 am

If your center leaf is getting "short" replace the sear spring with a Colt unit.  Polish the engagement surfaces of the spring and set your weight.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SmoothBore870 Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:39 pm

Thanks KC, I'll try out a Colt and see how she goes.

SmoothBore870

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down