Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp Atterberry pistol range

+39
SingleActionAndrew
K38
Outthere
James Hensler
valbern67
tovaert
Allen Barnett
Robuc
Mike38
Danehogle
Jack H
Colt711
oxbowbob
john bickar
JIMPGOV
PhotoEscape
CR10X
tierney
straybrit
patch175
Caster3845
ChipEck
dennymac
-TT-
John Dervis
mprince
Dcforman
adminbot1911
SteveT
Multiracer
ted.carter.568
orpheoet
Al
Wobbley
jmdavis
chopper
james r chapman
dronning
xman
43 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Camp Atterberry pistol range - Page 4 Empty Camp Atterberry pistol range

Post by xman 8/1/2019, 11:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

After reading and looking at the photos from Perry, I noticed that the 50yd line and the 25yd line were separate.
This meant collecting up your gear and future targets and hustling  over to the next stage.

I am wondering if Camp Atterberry will be setup the same. Anyone have a clue?

I can understand the reasoning in the Perry set up..It allows shooters to fire during different conditions, etc.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Camp Atterberry pistol range - Page 4 Empty Re: Camp Atterberry pistol range

Post by SingleActionAndrew 3/24/2024, 10:32 am

K38 wrote:Do they have electronic targets?
At the 2023 NRA Pistol Nationals at Atterbury no, their were no electronic targets. Can't speak for the rifle guys
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by NYKenn 3/24/2024, 11:26 am

K38 wrote:Do they have electronic targets?
Pistol does not use or have electronic targets.

NYKenn

http://www.TheFiringLineOnline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by K38 3/24/2024, 11:28 am

Would be great.

DLB

Might be able to add an ISSF World Cup perhaps.

K38

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 3/24/2024, 12:03 pm

ISSF World Cup would be great, but isn't going to happen. I'm not sure when the last outdoor World Cup was held but I am sure it was decades ago. They have been held at Fort Moore (formerly Ft Benning) at the AMU ranges.

Several years ago there was a big push to use E-targets for pistol, until people started thinking seriously about it. Rifle is easy because the bullets are supersonic, so acoustic systems can be used and microphones are small and cheap so if one gets shot, just replace it and keep going. Subsonic bullets either have to have a backer so there is noise when they hit or you need something like a light curtain. The backer has to move so there is always fresh material to hit which means rolls have to be bought and replaced frequently. A light curtain takes a lot of room, is expensive and doesn't survive a shot very well.

Interesting fact, Free Pistol was required by the rules to be held "outdoors" so the Olympic ranges had to have a 1 meter strip open to the outside, but with a cover over them in case of rain. That is one of the reasons Free Pistol was removed from the Olympics... yeah, because changing the rules to allow them to use the same range as small bore would be too much work.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by K38 3/24/2024, 12:33 pm

Very unfortunate. I really feel that USA shooting doesn’t do enough when it comes to grass roots shooting. One would be hard pressed to even find an air pistol match within easy driving distance. Always the pray and spray variety.

K38

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 3/24/2024, 2:08 pm

I was told by Jim Henderson that E-Targets were tried in pistol and the European targets worked well.  But the pistol shooters didn’t like them.  It is my guess that pistol shooters felt that the E-Targets rushed the process too much.  With paper you stop every few minutes to go forward and score.  With E-Targets you have the score in seconds and transmitted to the stat office.  With E-Targets you could shoot a full 2700 in the morning.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraiEsq 3/24/2024, 5:57 pm

Electronic targets are used on the rifle ranges at Atterbury. I think that has been the case since 2022. Definitely in use last year (2023).
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

mbmshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 3/24/2024, 7:33 pm

Wobbley wrote:I was told by Jim Henderson that E-Targets were tried in pistol and the European targets worked well.  But the pistol shooters didn’t like them.  It is my guess that pistol shooters felt that the E-Targets rushed the process too much.  With paper you stop every few minutes to go forward and score.  With E-Targets you have the score in seconds and transmitted to the stat office.  With E-Targets you could shoot a full 2700 in the morning.

And then carry your shoulder home in a paper bag.
john bickar
john bickar

Schaumannk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 3/24/2024, 7:44 pm

So I actually own an E-target and have shot on several different makes (megalink, Merton, sq10, inband). With the exception of the sq10, these targets all have consumable paper faces and potentially rolls of witness paper. My experience has been with air pistol. On my personal target, when I disable the witness paper, I get errors when I shoot tight groups (e.g. 2-3 shots overlapping). When you consider that many skilled bullseye shooters often have 2-3 even more shots touching in a ten shot string, especially in 45, it doesn’t make sense to use an EST. The target faces would still need witness paper to break ties and the cost of the system would be exponentially higher than conventional paper system. EST do malfunction, I have seen it with my personal target a well at a high level air match at Camp Perry. In rifle when realistically the shot ring to projectile size ratio is large than that of pistol, it makes more sense. In pistol where top shooters shoot one ragged hole, not so much. Keep in mind most air matches are 60 shots plus sighters, and between the 60 shots and finals target maintenance is often preformed. A significant amount of bullseye shooters will have a big ragged hole with a few stragglers after 20 shots, let alone the 60 that occur on the shortline. So if you need to preform target maintenance every 20-30 shots, you honestly don’t save much time and they system is significantly more expensive (on a 20 point line think about the cost of a simple display to show the shot locations), you don’t gain much. 10m air is a different story as only world class shooters typically shoot sub 8 ring on that target where most shooters struggle to hold black or even seven ring.
chiz1180
chiz1180

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brassmaster 3/25/2024, 12:58 pm

Wobbley wrote:I was told by Jim Henderson that E-Targets were tried in pistol and the European targets worked well.  But the pistol shooters didn’t like them.  It is my guess that pistol shooters felt that the E-Targets rushed the process too much.  With paper you stop every few minutes to go forward and score.  With E-Targets you have the score in seconds and transmitted to the stat office.  With E-Targets you could shoot a full 2700 in the morning.
Who would want to fire a full 2700 in "...the morning?"
A 2700 in a single day is both physically & mentally exhausting for the average competitor. Maybe not so much for military shooters and (young) supermen & superwomen.
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4