Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What might be an appropriate recoil spring for a Les Baer 1911 Premiere II, shooting light bullseye rounds?

+12
troystaten
STEVE SAMELAK
DA/SA
inthebeech
javaduke
Dr.Don
james r chapman
Wobbley
lablover
Olde Pilot
jglenn21
mikemyers
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

What might be an appropriate recoil spring for a Les Baer 1911 Premiere II, shooting light bullseye rounds? - Page 3 Empty What might be an appropriate recoil spring for a Les Baer 1911 Premiere II, shooting light bullseye rounds?

Post by mikemyers 8/15/2019, 4:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Before I knew anything about this forum and Bullseye shooting, my 1911 handgun was a Colt Combat Commander.  After spending forever trying to get that gun to shoot well, or for that matter, find anyone else who could shoot it well, I gave up and it was sent off to Colt.  About a year and a half later, it came back with a beautiful test target, and I felt it was capable of being used for Bullseye Shooting.  A lot of parts were replaced, and a better rear sight was installed.  By then, I had joined the shooting club at my range, and started shooting "real" bullseye, at 15 yards, two-handed.

In the meantime the treasurer at my club found me a Les Baer Premiere II that had just been repaired (the previous owner created a bulged barrel).  He got the gun back, and I bought it.  I could go through the whole story of this gun, but let me jump ahead to my question.

I now am shooting 1911's ONLY for Bullseye - I've got my Salyer Caspian, and my Salyer Springfield.  Both now shoot my reloads, 3.8 grains of WST over a Magnus #801 bullet.  They shoot very "lightly", minimal recoil, and both guns are now enjoyable for me to shoot, nothing at all like shooting Winchester White Box 230 grain ammo.  (I can still shoot that ammo in my Colt if I wish to.)

The gun originally came with a 18# recoil spring.  I got permission from the lady at Baer who seems to know everything about Baer guns, to replace the 18# spring with 16# spring.  Nowadays, the gun is mostly sitting.  I used it with a Nelson kit for a while, but I see no reason not to put in an appropriate recoil spring and shoot the same ammo I'm currently reloading for my other guns.

This leads to my question - I'm constantly hearing about a 10# spring being good for a wad gun shooting light loads.  Is there any reason why this wouldn't be an appropriate spring for me to install?  Obviously, if I shoot heavier loads, I'll change the spring.  

One of the things I'm considering is that this gun has the stock steel sights.  My other two 1911 guns have optics.  The Caspian has a very heavy slide, and the Springfield has a more "normal" slide.  

Is it safe to install the 10# spring, see how the gun works, and if there are any issues, to consider a different spring?  
I would need to verify that the slide locks back on the last round.  
It would be interesting to see how many feet from me the gun throws the empty cases.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

What might be an appropriate recoil spring for a Les Baer 1911 Premiere II, shooting light bullseye rounds? - Page 3 Empty Re: What might be an appropriate recoil spring for a Les Baer 1911 Premiere II, shooting light bullseye rounds?

Post by mikemyers 1/14/2020, 11:50 am

Thanks; I'll be home in a week or so, and will get to try this out again.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3