Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kimber Aegis or KHX good enough for bullseye?

5 posters

Go down

Kimber Aegis or KHX good enough for bullseye? Empty Kimber Aegis or KHX good enough for bullseye?

Post by 45ACP223 10/16/2019, 7:51 pm

A buddy is looking at a new Kimber Aegis Elite Custom and KHX Custom in 9mm and 45 ACP for local bullseye league (he can't make his mind up on caliber, I told him 45).  I've read that Jon said he didn't like stainless frames and slides together, and something else he didn't like about Kimbers but I can't remember.  These both are completely ss even though they are some black treatment on them.   I handled a few in the store with him and they seem decent.  They are Series 70, no firing pin block, which surprised me.  I told him he would need a trigger job and maybe a match bushing to start with, but it seemed to have a decent fit so maybe just a trigger job to start.   He likes the way the frames were milled for mounting the red dots.  I think one has a Vortex and the other a RMR.  I told him to buy a SARO, but he didn't want to use a grip mount or drill and tap the frame or slide.   If you or any of the Smith's have any feedback on your thoughts about either of these for competition, let me know and I'll pass it on to him.
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Kimber Aegis or KHX good enough for bullseye? Empty Re: Kimber Aegis or KHX good enough for bullseye?

Post by zanemoseley 10/16/2019, 10:13 pm

Is he serious about BE? If so get a SARO, drill and tap for full rail, get a full tube dot, get a BE smith to fit a new bushing & slide stop pin as well as a trigger job. Should take him to expert minimum and likely master for roughly $1500. You almost never see Kimbers on the line, not to say you can't make them work but may take more money than a proven SARO.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Kimber Aegis or KHX good enough for bullseye? Empty Re: Kimber Aegis or KHX good enough for bullseye?

Post by 45ACP223 10/16/2019, 10:49 pm

Thanks, I told him to go the SARO route, and he didn't want to drill/tap the frame or slide. I'm pretty sure he just wants to shoot in local league (National Match Course), at least initially.  He is an excellent pistol shooter, and likes competition so he wants a decent gun.  He shoots a 41 in rimfire leg.  I think he's capable of reaching Expert fairly quickly but I doubt he will put the practice time in and commitment to shoot 2700's to get NRA classified.  I told him to get a Ultradot but he likes those newer open glass style red dots, and I'm not sure they will hold up mounted to a slide.
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 10/17/2019, 12:34 am

A quality Reflex sight will hold up just fine. They’re very popular with the Run-and-Gun crowd.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 10/17/2019, 1:30 am

I am not familiar with those models of Kimber. I do however have two Kimber that I use for Bullseye. I have had no problem with my all SS frame. Or with the accuracy of either pistol. The KTM is still stock but I turned the extremally rare Stainless Gold Match II in 40 S&W into a less rare 38 Super. I shoot the Super a lot.

https://pistolsmith.com/gun-talk/2735-stainless-guns-galling-lubrication.html

Kimber Aegis or KHX good enough for bullseye? Dscf0417
Kimber Aegis or KHX good enough for bullseye? Dscf0745

Last edited by LenV on 10/17/2019, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a conversation I found about galling)
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 10/17/2019, 12:58 pm

I use a Kimber with an Ultradot reflex sight and it shoots very nice. I had Jon do a trigger job on it and it is very nice. I believe it is the Model Super Match II as it is available in Cali. 

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 10/17/2019, 5:31 pm

Wobbley wrote:A quality Reflex sight will hold up just fine.  They’re very popular with the Run-and-Gun crowd.  
Good to know, I've never shot with one so I had no experience.  Thanks!
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 10/17/2019, 5:37 pm

Good to know about the reflex sights (I didn't know what they were called), and stainless guns not having issues with accuracy.  I read somewhere that Jon had said stainless on stainless had the potential to seize up.  I think he said it took more work for Smiths to get a Kimber up to bullseye standards.  Maybe he will chime in and let us know more.
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down