Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is 2.3 in off a sandbag good enough to start bullseye?

+17
orpheoet
LenV
gregbenner
Wobbley
Tim:H11
Twobe1
BE Mike
Aprilian
Froneck
Rob Kovach
Bigtrout
john bickar
mikemyers
james r chapman
ChipEck
dronning
Wmvdg123
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is 2.3 in off a sandbag good enough to start bullseye? Empty Is 2.3 in off a sandbag good enough to start bullseye?

Post by Wmvdg123 Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:18 pm

I am thinking of trying to get into world of Bullseye, however my equipment is not the best and on average group I shoot off sandbags is about 2.3 inches. Obviously it's much more difficult to shoot free hand then on sand bags. Do you think my equipment will be a limiting factor? How well can people shoot off sandbags with a nice 1.5 inch Ransom rest gun?
Thanks!
Wayne VanDeGraaff

Wmvdg123

Back to top Go down

Is 2.3 in off a sandbag good enough to start bullseye? Empty Re: Is 2.3 in off a sandbag good enough to start bullseye?

Post by dronning Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:21 pm

What yardage?  At 50yd it's plenty good!
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Is 2.3 in off a sandbag good enough to start bullseye? Empty Re: Is 2.3 in off a sandbag good enough to start bullseye?

Post by Wmvdg123 Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Yes it's at 50 yards, I do use a diopter as I'm using irons.

Wmvdg123

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:37 pm

I can usually get within 1/4"-1/2" of my ransom rest groups, BUT I use a 2-7x scope to do it and that is only on guns with very good triggers.
- Dave

The Ranson Rest will forgive a poor trigger, In my hands even on a sandbag a poor trigger will show up.

Last edited by dronning on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by ChipEck Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:39 pm

You will have fun.  Bullseye has the best competitors who will happily offer suggestion if you ask and listen.

Chip
ChipEck
ChipEck

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:46 pm

Your fine on accuracy. The trigger 'pull is the elephant in the room.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wmvdg123 Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:11 pm

Yes, I definitely got to work on my trigger pull. So you would say a very good custom Bullseye Gun should be able to shoot about 1.75-2.0 inches at 50 yards off a rest? Does anyone use irons now days?

Wmvdg123

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Wmvdg123 wrote:Yes, I definitely got to work on my trigger pull. So you would say a very good custom Bullseye Gun should be able to shoot about 1.75-2.0 inches at 50 yards off a rest? Does anyone use irons now days?
Good Custom gun should be right around 1.5"  I'd say about 15-25% use irons.  Many start with irons.  Irons are required in EIC matches.  Most use Optics (red dots) the bulk are either Ultradots or Aimpoints.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Wmvdg123 Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:41 pm

Thank you for the info!

Wmvdg123

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:54 pm

Wmvdg123 wrote:........Do you think my equipment will be a limiting factor? ......
From my little corner of the world, trying to get into Bullseye, it's the shooter, not the equipment, that is the "limiting factor".  If you enjoy it, and like hanging around with a bunch of super people who are more than willing to help, why not just jump in, and upgrade later, once it has taken over as the limiting factor?  

To enjoy it, the only person you really need to beat, is your own scores from "last time".  

Cunard Lines used to have a saying "Getting there is half the fun!"  Sometimes I think that "Getting there" is most of the fun!  Not only that, but "Getting there" never ends, because the closer you get to "there" the further you see you can go.   Smile
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:20 pm

Wmvdg123 wrote:Does anyone use irons now days?

I know a guy who shot 2620 with iron sights as recently as 2014.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:37 am

Wmvgd, I'm jealous.  I'm basically a tinkerer trying precision shooting and cannot get all 10 rounds to group well off a manual rest at 50 yds. 6 to 8 rounds stay under 2" but 2 to 4 have a mind of their own and I'd classify them as "wild".  And I'm using red dots!
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 am

Lot's of shooters are shooting irons.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:06 am

Quite a few of the records have been shot with Iron Sights.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Wm. 2 inches is plenty good enough to start. Don't give it another thought.

When I first joined a gun club, I was shooting a revolver  (40 yrs. ago ).

A couple guys there suggested that I try shooting the bullseye pistol league. I said I wasn't good enough,
  but after a coupe invitations I decided to give it a try anyway.

Wow, I enjoyed it so much that I wished I had started sooner.

I could not beat anyone there. Absolutely everyone there shot better than me. Old, young,man,woman,or child,
it did not matter. But it was still fun.

I shot a single action .22, a double action .38, and a single action .45. And I stunk with all of them except sometimes
in the slow fire match I would beat a person or two.

Eventually I got an auto-loader or two, and started shooting better. And I started beating some of the folks that used to beat me.

That is when I discovered that I wasn't shooting against other shooters at all. Other shooters come in all levels of skill,
 and determination, and time to devote to shooting, and money. So beating someone who doesn't have time to train,
or money to spend is no win at all.
   But beating your own previous high score, or X count, ahh, there is the thrill. Or knowing that you just shot as well as you possibly can.

So get started. No matter how good, or bad your skill, or equipment is. It is all going to change.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wmvdg123 Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:55 pm

Lots of responses thanks, very helpful community!

Wmvdg123

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Go do it.  I started with my dad's pistol before I even knew if it could hit the broadside of a barn - from the inside.   

You didn't mention the caliber that is giving you that spread.   Most production 22's can be a good starting gun - definitely start with 22 and then when ready add a centerfire.

I am still using an old Browning Buckmark for .22 and it is not the pistol (nor ammo) which is holding me back  Smile
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:41 am

For years and years, Clark Custom guaranteed 3" groups at 50 yards. A lot of shooters, using those pistols, shot 2600+. I doubt if most bullseye shooters, shooting their own reloads can really reliably get much better groups out of their 1911's (we used to call them Government Models). You are the limiting factor.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Twobe1 Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:06 am

I'm building two rimfire benchrest rifles and my own 50 yard range. So I'm thinking I would Ike to shoot a rimfire pistol for bullseye shooting. What would be a good start gun that I could grow with and compete with a budget of 1000.00? Is it better to buy new or a used one from a shooter ? It sounds like the new 41 is a little finicky and the early models are selling at a premium. I am retired and plan on doing nothing but shoot shoot and shoot.

Twobe1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:35 am

Twobe1 wrote:I'm building two rimfire benchrest rifles and my own 50 yard range. So I'm thinking I would Ike to shoot a rimfire pistol for bullseye shooting. What would be a good start gun that I could grow with and compete  with a budget of 1000.00? Is it better to buy new or a used one from a shooter ? It sounds like the new 41 is a little finicky and the early models are  selling at a premium. I am retired and plan on doing nothing but shoot shoot and shoot.

I started with a S&W Model 41 that I got for $700. Iron sights only. It is an old model. The barrel isn’t drilled or tapped for a scope. Has pin that sticks out the back for cocking indicator. Very accurate. Was not reliable however. Not until I removed the mag disconnect spring, replaced all the other springs, replaced the extractor with a Volquartsen extractor, and cleaned the hell out the chamber. Found CCI shot reliably and accurate and Wolf also shot good too. I put Herrett nationals on mine. The blueing is terrible on the barrel and slide and front of the frame. Looks like it was laid in water. Minor pitting on exterior. But bore is excellent. My recommendation is look for a used one. Not a collectors dream with box and all. Just find a shooter. Cheaper that way. 

Or you could get a Ruger MKII Govermnet Model and have a good trigger job done. Then you’d be set too.

A conversion is a good option but the lower could be costly unless you have a 45 you can put it on already. I shoot a Nelson now with a dot. I also have a spare barrel with the iron sights attached so I don’t have to take the dot off and re-zero stuff. In the long run you could do that with the 41 too. Have two barrels and go from irons to a dot in seconds. You’d have one frame, two barrels and set for 22 EIC and 2700 matches.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:21 am

I didn't feel like starting a new thread for this, and it does sort of fit in here.

My question:  "What things should one do, to get the best possible result from any gun, when supporting it on a sandbag rest?"

Things I think I know (maybe they're wrong...)

• Support the bottom of your hands, with the hands resting on the sandbag, or with the hands and gun resting on the sandbag.
  • Do not rest the barrel of the gun on a sandbag.
  • Look through the sights exactly the same way every time, especially for steel sights, or an optical sight with parallax error.
  • Make every effort to position the hands, my body, and everything else identically every time.
  • (...and obviously, use the same ammunition.)
  • Be smooooooth on the trigger

I don't know how tightly you're supposed to hold the gun.

I get nice groups, doing what I do now, but I don't think they represent the precision of the gun.

......or is the only real answer to buy a Ransom Rest, like the ones I keep seeing in these forums for sale....
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:36 am

In my experience it is difficult to get a precision group off sand bags with irons at 50 yards particularly for a beginner. If you have an optic mount on the pistol a higher power scope, 7X or so, will help. A grip mount is fine. Don’t worry too much about function if the scope is too heavy. Adjust the scope so not to damage your aiming mark. Aim as precise as you can.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:18 am

I have never thought there is any "good enough" requirement to start bullseye shooting.  Although it can be a competitive sport, most of the competition is against yourself. 

Shoot whatever you have.  If you like the events, you will quickly and easily determine what equipment works best for you with your budget.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:24 am

There are two things you can use a sandbag for. 1. Testing your group. Either testing your pistol or different ammo. 2. Sighting in your pistol. I want to talk about #2. There is an art to sighting in a pistol using sandbags so that you can be confident it will be relatively close to having the same point of impact off the bag or standing up and shooting with one hand. Basically you have to use the bag or bags as a rest only. Grip the pistol with one hand in the same way you would on the line. Set the palm of your hand or the base of the grip on the bag. Set a bag under your elbow to stop it from flapping around. Add enough bags under the pistol so that you don't have to twist your arm or wrist to get a good sight picture. Beat the bag down a little if it is too high. What you are trying for is an arm and pistol that comfortably just rests on the bag and is lined up with the target. Do not use your off shooting hand for anything. When fired the recoil will raise your arm and bend your wrist just like you were standing there shooting. Using this method you can confidently pre sight most pistols. You will still have to fine tune when you start shooting at match or practice. 

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:03 am

That sounds far more useful than what I thought I needed to do.  My goal was to take me out of the picture, and see what the gun can do, as if it was in a Ransom Rest.  You mention things I never thought of, such as supporting your elbow.  You're immobilizing the shooter's body, as well as the gun.  Sounds like a better way than my half-hearted attempt, not knowing any better.  Thank you.

Any feedback on how your groups compared doing what you described, compared to using the same gun, ammo, etc., in a Ransom Rest?  How close were the results?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next