Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another question on hearing protection

+11
Jon Math
spyer40
dannyboy
-TT-
STEVE SAMELAK
james r chapman
sbtzc
DA/SA
zanemoseley
Aprilian
Sa-tevp
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Another question on hearing protection - Page 2 Empty Another question on hearing protection

Post by Sa-tevp Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Having found I am not getting consistent protection from loud noise from David Clark Model 19A Mickey-Mouse ears and high -NRR foam ear plugs I have met with an audiologist for custom fit ear plugs and plan to try adding mass loaded vinyl matting to the headset to try to get better noise reduction.

David Clark Model 19A

David Clark Eyeglass Cushions

David Clark Gel Filled Ear Seals

The idea with the custom fit ear plugs is more consistent fit and noise reduction than foam ear plugs. I like the David Clark headsets for easy maintenance and large volume but would really like to get the highest noise reduction possible to keep from going to the audiologist for more expensive products like hearing aids.

Anyone have suggestions on other noise reduction strategies? I know there are some shooting sports specific hearing protection advertised but I notice they don't always offer OSHA type NRR sheets on their performance.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Another question on hearing protection - Page 2 Empty Re: Another question on hearing protection

Post by chopper Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:58 pm

cuslog wrote:Best "off the shelf" plugs I've found are (I think) 3M -- Nacar themed -- shaped like a piston and connecting rod. Initially bought them as a "novelty item" because I was going to a Drag Race event but when I used them, I found the noise reduction to be significantly better than others I had used in the past. The connecting rod makes for a convenient handle when removing them too !
  Cuslog, I've been looking for those ear plugs for years. We used to get those from the hearing test company at my railroad job, he'd give you a hand full of what ever style you liked. I think they were a gray piston with black con rod, I'll have to see if I can find some now I know who makes them, yes they are very effective. They always reminded me of the Detroit Pistons, still my favorite.
  Thanks, Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Another question on hearing protection - Page 2 Empty Re: Another question on hearing protection

Post by cuslog Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 am

3M:tm: E-A-R:tm: Pistonz Earplugs, P1400, grey, uncorded
You can get 'em corded too, if that's what you prefer.

cuslog

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Those are very cool! "Officially licensed hearing protection of Nascar". The shape is actually practical.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-E-A-R-Pistonz-Earplugs-P1400-Uncorded-400-Pair-Case/?N=5002385+3294754075&rt=rud

Looks like a bag of 400 pair goes for about $85 on amazon...

[Edited for math oops]

Last edited by -TT- on Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:22 pm

math?    Smile
$85/400=$0.21 a pair.   I noticed the rating is only 29 dB, others plugs rate at 32 and 33 dB reduction, which makes sense as the distance of the blocked ear canal is shorter than a roll-up plug.

If these are working better than the roll up, it could be that you aren't getting the roll ups inserted deep enough, or they are too small for your ear canal, or your ear canal is an unusual shape.

Just like our equipment, you have to have confidence in whatever you use.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2