Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electronic Hearing Protection

+11
BE Mike
RodJ
rburk
chopper
Jwhelan939
Dcforman
chiz1180
Pinetree
DA/SA
STEVE SAMELAK
Boxturtle
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Electronic Hearing Protection Empty Electronic Hearing Protection

Post by Boxturtle Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:29 am

Hello Folks,

Please share your experience with electronic hearing protection.  My first priority is comfort over several hours.  Thank you for your help.

Tom
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

Electronic Hearing Protection Empty ELECTRONIC HEARING PROTECTION

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:16 am

Like anything else, you get what you pay for.
The cheap ones were just that and ended up being more annoyance than help (slow response time & poor sound quality).
Good ones were much better but I still use plugs under the muffs.
I'm not sold on the earbud style for center fire pistols & rifles.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Electronic Hearing Protection Empty Re: Electronic Hearing Protection

Post by DA/SA Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:32 am

For comfort, and better noise reduction, make sure that gel type ear cups are available for whichever set you decide to try. Some may already come with them, but many are available as aftermarket items to replace the cheap foam ear cups that don't seal well over glasses.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Multiracer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinetree Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:03 am

I have the Howard Leight "Impact Sport" muffs for what it's worth.. but I'm just not sold on the whole concept.

I've always worn the yellow squishy earplugs under my muffs, so I don't think the electronic style really helps.. plus I turn them off during slow fire.

Personally, I think they'd be more useful for "run and gun" shooting.

I will say that they (the Howard Leight's ) are well made, comfortable, and the batteries seem to last forever, and all the guys I shoot with have the same model.

Whether that means they're the best thing going, or if that's all they sell around here I don't know.

Pinetree
Pinetree

Multiracer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:04 am

I have a set of Walker Razer. They were fairly inexpensive and work well enough. They also have gel inserts available which help a lot with comfort.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:27 am

I am VERY happy with my Sordin Supreme with the gel seals. Not the cheapest, but when you consider how much you use them, really a good value. I still use cheap disposable plugs underneath, then turn the ambient volume up. I can shoot double muffed and have normal conversations without taking them off. They're comfortable enough that I often forget to take them off when going down range to score.

Dave

Dcforman

dieselguy624, Thin Man, RoyDean and RodJ like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:27 am

I really like the Howard leight impact pro. Especially with the upgraded gel ear pieces. I've been using them for years. They are a higher level of protection. Great for pistol, but higher off the ear, so not great for rifle. I just picked up a pair of the impact sports to try with rifle. They are way less comfortable. Still trying to get used to them.

Jwhelan939

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:06 pm

I decided on Pro Ears 6 years ago, I got tired of the 2 different brands I had before that bellied up shortly after the 1 year warranties with no compensation from the makers. Pro Ears warranty on that 1st model of Gold was like 2 years and I'm way past that with no problems. These aren't for rifle shooting, but they have models that are, and mine don't have gel cushions, but are very comfortable and the new models do have gel. www.proears.com
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:54 pm

+1 on the Howard Leight Impact Pro muffs.  They are comfortable and provide a high level of hearing protection.  The only negative I have is that the audio volume does not go up very high, so if you are using foam plugs under the muffs, it is hard to hear normal conversation.  I can hear range commands with plugs and muffs.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:58 pm

A few years ago I got Howard Leight Impact Pro earmuffs for me & my wife. At first they were ok but over time they got louder & louder until it was like using nothing. Same with the pair I got for my wife. I installed gel inserts that go over the ears, no difference. I stuffed more padding into the cups that I got out of other earmuffs. Same. Changed batteries a few times, no change. Started limiting my range time to 30 minutes & then stopped going. Finally looked into passive earmuffs & got 2 pairs of Pelter 3M X5A & these are MUCH quieter. I can shoot for hours in these. Comfortable too. My wife said the same. We can't hear each other talk but when we leave our ears aren't ringing. I did try the Howard Lights outside once & they were ok for that. Indoors they're about as good as cotton balls. At least the pair that I got.

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:05 pm

Comfort, gel pads.  I also add ear plugs for more “noise” comfort.  I use Sordins electronic muffs with the gel,pads.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:16 am

I have the Impact Sport e-muffs. I don't think they have value in bullseye pistol match shooting as long as you can hear the commands with regular ear protection. Where they shine is when training someone else in the art of pistolcraft.
BE Mike
BE Mike

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxturtle Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:51 am

Folks,

Thank you for all the feedback.  Ultimately, when I realized how much distracting conversation goes on at my club range, I decided to get a 33.5 db passive muff set. 

Thanks, Tom
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Fotomaniac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:53 am

I just keep mint switched off until something is worth hearing!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:38 pm

Boxturtle wrote:Folks,

Thank you for all the feedback.  Ultimately, when I realized how much distracting conversation goes on at my club range, I decided to get a 33.5 db passive muff set. 

Thanks, Tom
Tom,
What brand / model did you end up buying?
Thanks,
Rod

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxturtle Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:19 pm

Hi Rod,

The brand is Maximum.  I bought the set from Amazon for $15.  They are made in Taiwan, which has developed a good reputation for manufacturing.  The noise reduction is 34 decibels.  I haven't used it yet, but they seem comfortable.  I like to wear them behind the neck because I wear a Stetson, and they fit well that way.  If anyone is interested I'll report on several hours of use tomorrow morning when I get back from the range.

Take care, Tom
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:24 pm

Thanks, Tom. There are plenty of times shooting inside where, like others commented, I’m uninterested in hearing what other folks are yapping about. 😬

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael C Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:38 pm

Dcforman wrote:I am VERY happy with my Sordin Supreme with the gel seals. Not the cheapest, but when you consider how much you use them, really a good value. I still use cheap disposable plugs underneath, then turn the ambient volume up. I can shoot double muffed and have normal conversations without taking them off. They're comfortable enough that I often forget to take them off when going down range to score.

Dave
I use the same ones.  They are the absolute best I’ve ever used.  I wish I’d have bought them when I was running the range at work.  Very comfortable for all day wear.  I use them for pistol and rifle.  For rifle at the 1000 yard line we shoot under cover and these keep my headache away.  Since I usually run the line and shoot I can hear calls for marks at either end.  However they are expensive… about 250 dollars.  But, I wear them at least 2-3 times a week.  It was worth it for me.

Michael C

Back to top Go down

Post by 1911a145 Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:34 am

1000 yards? That’s far away

1911a145

Back to top Go down

Electronic Hearing Protection Empty FAR AWAY

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:34 am

1911a145 wrote:1000 yards? That’s far away
It gives you a moment to consider your error before you hit the target. affraid
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael C Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:54 pm

I’ve been a Palma shooter and service rifle shooter for a long time now but have only been shooting BE for a few years. I think the 50 yard line is harder than the 1000. You can get away with trigger control issues with a rifle you can’t with a pistol. I’m a high master at long range, but a very sold marksman at bullseye!

Michael C

Jwhelan939 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael C Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:55 pm

1911a145 wrote:1000 yards? That’s far away
And this guy is an even better 1000 yard shooter than I am.  He just doesn’t want anyone to know.

Michael C

Back to top Go down

Post by NukeMMC Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:19 pm

I've seen more Pistol Distinguished double out than Rifle. Trigger control is the reason.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxturtle Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:38 pm

Boxturtle wrote:Hi Rod,

The brand is Maximum.  I bought the set from Amazon for $15.  They are made in Taiwan, which has developed a good reputation for manufacturing.  The noise reduction is 34 decibels.  I haven't used it yet, but they seem comfortable.  I like to wear them behind the neck because I wear a Stetson, and they fit well that way.  If anyone is interested I'll report on several hours of use tomorrow morning when I get back from the range.

Take care, Tom

Today I wore the muffs continuously for two hours.  Nothing special but comfortable and good sound attenuation.
Boxturtle
Boxturtle

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:23 am

Thanks Tom. Thinking about a backup set for super duper quiet when I want to go to my “happy place” while shooting.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next