Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WST and variable loads

+3
Allgoodhits
zanemoseley
straybrit
7 posters

Go down

WST and variable loads Empty WST and variable loads

Post by straybrit 11/30/2019, 1:02 pm

Loading 45 with WST - with the setup I have 4.3/4.4g with a 185g zero LSWC works just great for the short line. The problem I have .... is getting that load every time.

If I take the time to hand measure/dribble the powder I get great consistency. Using my 550 - not so much. I frequently get loads that don't cycle the gun or are *very* assertive.  I never had this problem with Bullseye and I'm not seeing it with Titegroup (that I use for the 38). I've tried opening a new jug of WST, stripped and cleaned the powder unit and checked the loads as they come out - nothing seems to make a difference.

The only oddity I have seen is with static. I noticed that when I was emptying the powder tube I was getting a lot of the 'filler' (the beige coloured component) sticking to the plastic jug. I'm in northern Colorado and it's cold and arid right now and my reloading bench is in the garage - I'm wondering if I'm getting a static build-up which is causing some separation of the components in the powder, or maybe slight blockages in the feed.

In the meantime I'm going to try with some Bullseye to see if that will meter correctly.

Thoughts and inspirations are most welcome

Derek

straybrit

Back to top Go down

WST and variable loads Empty Re: WST and variable loads

Post by zanemoseley 11/30/2019, 1:07 pm

Have you measured 10-20 powder drops to see how consistent it is? I use a lot of WST but usually in a Hornady LNL AP press which uses a rotor style measure versus the Dillon slide style measure.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit 11/30/2019, 1:16 pm

Yeah - that's what's freaking me out. The actual load weight seems to be consistent - hence my wondering if I'm getting some sort of component separation within the powder 'mix'.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 11/30/2019, 1:17 pm

I use WST for several cartridges. All drop weights in the 2.7 - 4.7 range depending on caliber and bullets. Yes, it does have a tendency to cling to walls of powder funnel.  I presume it is static, but I don't get the same condition when using other powders in the same environment. So not completely sure.

I do find that it meters very consistently, but only "after"  5 - 8 settling throws or drops via the Dillon powder measures. My results indicate the drops increase, until they settle in. Then they are consistent.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 11/30/2019, 1:26 pm

I use a lot of WST in my 550s and 750.. no issue at all.. I do use the pararie dog powder baffle and have polished the inside of the powder measure with scotch brite then wiped it down with a laundry dryer sheet to kill static. Wipe the plastic tube down too.

powder baffle

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Prairie-Dog-6-101-Perfect-Powder-Baffle-for-Dillon-Powder-Reservoir-Tubes/261896882184?epid=2254562626&hash=item3cfa454808:g:y1EAAOxyaTxTV9rR

BTW, I run 4.0 of WST with a 180FB for the short line..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 11/30/2019, 1:30 pm

To get rid of static I take a used dryer sheet and lightly wipe down the offending part. Don't use a new one, it will leave a film.

Bill
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 11/30/2019, 1:36 pm

Wipe down the inside of the powder tube with a dryer sheet, it will eliminate the static cling.  I subscribe to overkill and as in wiping down the drop, the powder bar - everywhere powder touches.  I also use the baffle and weight.
- Dave
 everyone jumped on that!
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit 11/30/2019, 5:17 pm

Hah - cleaned everything (again) - wiped down the feed path with a drier sheet - load 40 rounds - 1 fail to eject. So that would appear to be the core of the problem.

Next question - approx how frequently would this need to be (re)applied?

Thanks
Derek

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 11/30/2019, 5:21 pm

do try and polish the powder drop in that area. it really helps
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 11/30/2019, 10:36 pm

I polished the surfaces of the Dillon measure with 1000 grit sandpaper.   It helped with Unique.    Probably will help with WST. 

David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down