Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can the Match Director compete in the Distinguished Revolver match?

5 posters

Go down

Can the Match Director compete in the Distinguished Revolver match? Empty Can the Match Director compete in the Distinguished Revolver match?

Post by john bickar Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:41 pm

I presume no, based on 11.1. But 23.1 says "This competition is open to any competitor otherwise eligible to compete in Precision Pistol competition."

Can I have one Match Director for the 2700 portion of the State Championship, and another Match Director for the DR portion?
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Can the Match Director compete in the Distinguished Revolver match? Empty Re: Can the Match Director compete in the Distinguished Revolver match?

Post by CR10X Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:54 pm

Rule 11 covers the duties of the various officials.  Since the Distinguished Revolver is at specific tournaments (23.4 Course of Fire - The NRA National Match Course will be used for all competitions under this program. Tournaments wishing to host competitions under this program are limited to only National Championships, Regional Championships and State Championships, as defined in Rule 1.6, which are conducted outdoors.)  and these all appear to be Registered Tournaments.  Then we would need to go to the Appendix for Approved and Registered Tournaments to see who can do what. 

Specifically for Registered Tournaments - 8. Tournament Officials as Competitors - The Match Director, Deputy Match Director, Chief Range Officer, Chief Statistical Officer, and Chief Pit Officer (where applicable) may NOT compete in a tournament at which they are officiating. Rule I[sic]11 covers specific duties of Tournament Officials.

As for having one Match Director for one part and another for the other part......???  My opinion would be that since the Distinguished Revolver match must be at the specified Tournaments, then the Distinguished Revolver match is conducted as part of that specific Registered Tournament and the Match Director for Revolver would be the one for the 2700.  Then again, what do I know.    Good luck. 

Hope this helps or maybe not....

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Can the Match Director compete in the Distinguished Revolver match? Empty Re: Can the Match Director compete in the Distinguished Revolver match?

Post by john bickar Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:35 pm

CR10X wrote:Then again, what do I know.    Good luck. 

Hope this helps or maybe not....

Pretty much what I thought, but you and I have been known to have groupthink in the past, and this has not always aligned with the NRA's interpretation.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:14 pm

Hi John,
Maybe run a CMP 2700 and you can shoot. The NRA should allow this also because if there are two day matches there can be a different Match Director on each day. I, also, don't like the fact I have to sit out a regional just because I volunteered to be the MD.

3.2 Competition Officials Competition Officials are responsible for safely conducting competitions and for ensuring that competitors have the best possible conditions for completing their events according to these rules. Competition Officials who are authorized to participate in decisions to penalize or disqualify competitors according to Rule 3.12.2 are the Match Director, Range Officers, Scoring Officers, Statistical Officers, Technical Officers and appointed Juries. Competition Officials should normally not also be competitors, but if, exceptionally, Competition Officials are competitors they must also fulfill all competitor requirements listed in Rule 3.4.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:33 am

John, I agree some NRA (and CMP) interpretations sometimes seem to defy their own words. (Then again, I'm such a linear thinker...) 

But it would seem that you can't have a Distinguished Revolver Match (which is authorized by the NRA) at a CMP 2700 Match.

As for the CMP allowing "everybody" to compete, well that's one of those issues that would seem to be OK until the mud starts being thrown.  Even an Approved match has the Match Supervisor as a "non-competitor" so there is at least one "non-interested" party handling the rules and process.  (Then again, what do I know after trying to read and understand both rule books for about 25 years now.)

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:01 am

CR10X wrote:
(Then again, what do I know after trying to read and understand both rule books for about 25 years now.)

Only 25? Eh, whatever, n00b. Laughing

I think I found a pathway out. For some unknown reason, I am in the good graces of my club. They may think that I'm respectable; don't any of you who know me disabuse them of that notion.

I may be able to have a non-firing Match Director. It looks like that's a requirement on paper, so I'll hold to that. We'll see how it shakes out.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:10 am

n00b?  Well, yea.  Didn't start bullseye until almost 40!  Memory is fading now, but do have recollections of some long haired kid sleeping in a tent with the copperhead snakes all around it at Bristol VA........

Good luck with the match!

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:26 pm

Bristol sounds like a place I would have loved to shoot.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkF45 Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:23 pm

As a former match director, I say having two different directors for two different parts of the match is legit.

The NRA should be looking to have more people shooting, not less.

Go for it, John

Mark

MarkF45

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down