Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hammerli Trailside Trouble Shooting

3 posters

Go down

Hammerli Trailside Trouble Shooting Empty Hammerli Trailside Trouble Shooting

Post by Allen Barnett 4/10/2020, 8:02 pm

I have an intermittent problem that I would like some help with.  Please bear with me as this will be a long post.  Things started in Oct 2018.  In preparation for shooting the Rimfire Challenge Shooting Association World Match I went through and cleaned all of my firearms.  Went back to the range and verified zero and functioned fired about 50 rounds from each.  Everything was fine and performed as expected.  Come match time, first stage loaded fired first round, bang, second round chambered, nothing regardless of how hard the trigger was pulled, cleared it, chambered another round, bang, next round chambered, nothing.  Of course that put me out of the match for my Open gun.  What a dissapointment.  Came home and went back through the gun ckecking every thing I could think of and could not get it functioning.  Was getting ready to send it to Larry's and well you know what happened in December, we lost a LARGE member of our sport.  Really bummed out so it has sat in the safe for 18 months.  With Redfeather Outfiiters coming on line I decided to get the gun back out and see if I could figure something out.  Last night took it back apart and cleaned it again, now keep in mind it had only about 50 rounds through the previous cleaning.  Put it back together and guess what, I tried to dry fire it and click it fires.  Okay the trigger releases, no I did not actually fire a round off.  Dug around in my gun box to find some spent 22's to use for dry firing. Dry fired it about 25 times without a problem as long as the slide was either dropped using the slide release or using the slingshot method.  If I hold the slide and ride it closed it will not fire.  So I thought ok check it out with some live fire.  Took it to the range today.  Fired about 50 rounds and problems started again.  JGlenn if if you are reading this yes I tried plastic between the right grip and the frame for holding everything in tight.  Guys I would really appreciate some guidance from you Hammerli guru's.

PS I tanked with my open gun at the RCSA but I did bring bring home a 3rd place finish in the Senior Limited Division.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Hammerli Trailside Trouble Shooting Empty Re: Hammerli Trailside Trouble Shooting

Post by KB2MBC 4/10/2020, 11:34 pm

Sounds like the same problem I had with mine.
Look at the round that's chambered when it fails, see if it has a faint strike on it. Sometimes mine would leave a faint firing pin strike mark because the hammer was following through. On the rare occasion I would get a double. Further, when it failed, the slide was more difficult to cycle because the hammer was down.
KB2MBC
KB2MBC

Back to top Go down

Hammerli Trailside Trouble Shooting Empty Re: Hammerli Trailside Trouble Shooting

Post by jglenn21 4/11/2020, 9:30 am

Allen, I'd suggest replacing the hammer. In my search for the resolution on my wife's trailside I also replaced the hammer at some point. her gun has been 100% after the hammer and the plastic cover for the trigger bar spring.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett 4/11/2020, 7:46 pm

Jimmy, I was hoping you would chime in.  That's what I am thinking.  That was the big reason I held off trying to send it out for repair.  I was concerned about parts availability and even though Red Feather is kinda up and running I am still concerned about finding parts.  My best guess is the hammer and sear are not engaging each other properly and that sort of work is way above my pay grade!

Sorry about misspelling your name!

Last edited by Allen Barnett on 4/11/2020, 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 4/11/2020, 8:31 pm

Walther USA has parts for the Xesse which are the same as the trailside for 95% of them. 479-242-8500 ext. 7

hammer and sear as well as the trigger bar are identical. It helps to have a parts list and schematic and just order by part#. Walther has the parts list on their web site

I'm sure they are a bit more expensive than RedFeather so you might try them 1st..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down