Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why pardini over walther

+9
Fezzik68
JKR
mpolans
john bickar
mikemyers
Tripscape
TonyH
CrankyThunder
Dtdk
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why pardini over walther Empty Why pardini over walther

Post by Dtdk 8/27/2020, 7:03 pm

I see that there is a lot of love for the pardini here. Why is it so popular over the Walther gsp expert?

Dtdk

Back to top Go down

Why pardini over walther Empty Re: Why pardini over walther

Post by CrankyThunder 8/27/2020, 7:58 pm

Well, you could put together a spreadsheet and put together the pros and cons of both pistols and there are some very good reasons to consider the Walther, but, in my case, I shot both pistols along with a SW 41, Benelli, Walther SSM, Hammerli, and Feinwerkbau and I just simply like shooting the Pardini better.  

The relatively easy trigger adjustments, parts availability, Pardini USA support, recoil reduction system/barrel weights, and ease of cleaning is simply icing on the cake.  

the Pardini does have some negatives, scope mounting and expensive replacement parts being two of them.  Most Pardini shooters get a red dot mounted one way or the other and the only parts I have had to replace are the recoil buffer system and a magazine base plate when I dropped the magazine on the floor.  If mine got stolen I would replace it with the exact same model as soon as possible. 

I also own a couple high dollar target pistols, SW revolvers, FWB, and a couple model 41's but the Pardini SP new is the one I shoot the best and enjoy shooting the most.  

Recently I shot a Matchgun and that is a nice firearm as well.  I do really like the matchgun and have considered adding it to my collection but have not pulled the trigger yet and do not know if I ever will.  Shot the Matchgun a lot to determine if I liked it as much or more then the Pardini but it did not call out to me like the Pardini did.  

Bottom line is that if I liked the Walther better then the Pardini I would own one.  But I really like the Pardini. 

Only way to really find out for yourself is to shoot both guns side by side.  Shoot them side by side a lot and you will know which firearm has your name on it. 

Regards, 
George
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

mpolans likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 8/27/2020, 8:11 pm

George,
But the Matchguns is sooooo sexy! lol!
Tony
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 8/27/2020, 8:22 pm

Matchguns looks amazing and is a great shooter. I had a chance to try it open sights and here are my findings:
-sight deck is too high
-trigger is amazing
-mechanism is ridiculously complicated
-grip is WAY WAY WAY WAY better than the standard Pardini.
-coolest gun you will ever shoot

Tried it for few shots only, so no other opinions. However, I did not like the high deck. Although barrel is low to the wrist axis the sights sit high, and that is just not my thing. For about $1700 new delivered last year it was an amazing deal.  So in summary for Pardini I hated OEM grip, for MG2 I disliked (not hated) the high deck. I owned 2 Pardini's, so I got to try them more than MG. I never got used to the grip. Not the angle but the cut.

Trigger and recoil is similar on both. Pardini is easier to use just because more common mechanism.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 8/27/2020, 8:42 pm

For the levels of cost and ability you guys are discussing, could a properly set up Nelson kit be equally capable?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 8/27/2020, 8:49 pm

mikemyers wrote:For the levels of cost and ability you guys are discussing, could a properly set up Nelson kit be equally capable?
Yes. It’s not the gun....
Case in point (this applies only to me and ymmv) I have four completely different types of 22’s that are capable....and I can shoot any of them within +- 1% of my average on any given day. Do I like some over the others? Yes...for varied reasons....but my average doesn’t change much with any of them.
One of those is a Nelson.

Last edited by TonyH on 8/27/2020, 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonyH
TonyH

Plunker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 8/27/2020, 9:07 pm

mikemyers wrote:For the levels of cost and ability you guys are discussing, could a properly set up Nelson kit be equally capable?
Yes, I now shoot AA conversion and doing same as Pardini if not better. Buuut, both Honda and Ferrari will get you to the same place, but Ferrari will get you there in style and comfort 😎

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 8/27/2020, 10:55 pm

Dtdk wrote:I see that there is a lot of love for the pardini here.  Why is it so popular over the Walther gsp expert?
Are you looking at them strictly for NRA/CMP "bullseye", or are you also interested in the ISSF/USAS disciplines?
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans 8/27/2020, 11:10 pm

Accuracy, yes.  I've got a Marvel conversion and a Pardini SP. The Pardini allows more adjustability, and I like the availability of a 2-stage trigger.  When I'm *on* with either of them, I can shoot great scores. However, when I screw up a little (get a little impatient with the trigger, etc), with the Pardini, I might turn a 10 into an 8-9, while with Marvel conversion, I might turn a 10 into a 6-7.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/27/2020, 11:31 pm

TonyH wrote:George,
Tony
Sexy like a VERY high maintenance mistress. Tell me I am wrong TonyH lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 8/28/2020, 4:57 am

radjag wrote:
Tony
Sexy like a VERY high maintenance mistress. Tell me I am wrong TonyH lol!
Roy,
I don't disagree at all! But there is a reason why folks have VERY high maintenance mistresses! I love you
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 8/28/2020, 8:00 am

I haven’t owned a Pardini yet but when I get an extra 2500 bucks, I probably will. I have shot with a couple. Very nice handling pistol. The things I like about them that I don’t like as much about the GSP 
is how low it sets in the hand and the steep rake of the grip. 
I’m currently shooting a GSP Expert. Also a very nice pistol. The most reliable, not ammo fussy, 22 Pistol I’ve ever owned. I have to say I like it a lot. 
Like Cranky, I own and have owned several great 22’s. Favorites so far are the GSP, FAS 602, and Benelli 90. Recently I’ve been playing with a Nelson. My experience with it is the same as mpolans. A nine with the Walther is a 7 with the Nelson. It mysteriously behaves about the same as my 45!
JKR

JKR

MarkOue likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fezzik68 8/28/2020, 8:37 am

I agree, shoot both and make your own determination.
IMHO the GSP is the preferred choice, but i haven't shot a Matchgun.
Easy to break down & clean, reliable to a fault, parts are readily available, trigger is infinitely adjustable, grip angle is closer to a 1911 than the Pardini.
Eats anything I throw down it's gullet, and likes to shoot dirty.
Once I solved the issue of mounting the dot 'properly' to the frame, going from dot to irons is a non-issue.
Put a Horton grip on it & go.
1 alibi in 30k rounds...
-Jim

Fezzik68

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 8/28/2020, 9:26 am

Tony
I was trying to figure out why Mary was going nuts crazy stoopid over you, turns out it was all about the shootin iron!  

Good Luck to ya Tony, your gonna need it!
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 8/28/2020, 10:47 am

If you are only considering a 22LR than some of you guys are right but when you throw on a 32 ACP conversion the Pardini is the only choice. MG in 32 anything is untested or barely tested and they might end up to be better but as of right now it’s Pardini. And please don’t bring up 32 SWL because that dog doesn’t hunt the amount of work and expense it takes to come close to a 32 ACP isn’t worth it just to be different
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by ssauer2004 8/28/2020, 1:41 pm

I currently own a late 90's GSP and a 2019 Pardini SP Bullseye.  I have also owned a GSP Expert in the past.  I don't believe that there is any benefit from owning the GSP Expert provided that the older version of the GSP has a 2 stage trigger.  I'll list a few pro's and con's in relation to each pistol.

GSP Pro's:
- will shoot ANY ammo
- will actually shoot better dirty (just make sure feed ramp is clean)
-can be purchased used for under $1,200.00
- parts are widely available
-expert knowledge of the pistol is accessible through Earl's Repair

GSP Con's
- Heavy
- Not the best-balanced gun
- very upright grip angle
- scope/dot mounting too high
- two stage trigger is ok
- gun is no longer in production
- Earl, while I'm not writing his obituary, is not going to be around forever.  He has a WEALTH of knowledge that is irreplaceable.

Pardini Pro's:
- perfect (for me) weight
- awesome balance
- great trigger (to the point that others have questioned the weight of the trigger being under 2 lbs., proven by weighing to be spot on)
- not really ammo fussy (I've run SK, Eley, CCI, and Wolf with zero problems)
- very good support through Pardini USA 
- parts are widely available
- easy to dry fire with plug
- currently used by 95% of all ISSF shooters, even ones sponsored by other manufacturers.

Pardini Cons:
- expensive
- some may not like the grip angle (I like it)
- needs to be cleaned more often (I usually clean every 250 rounds, probably could go much more)

I asked this question almost exactly a year ago.  I purchased the Pardini and haven't touched the GSP since.  My shooting has vastly improved.  I believe that this is due to more practice (dry firing nightly) but also due to shooting a superior pistol.
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 8/28/2020, 2:08 pm

CrankyThunder wrote:
Tony
I was trying to figure out why Mary was going nuts crazy stoopid over you, turns out it was all about the shootin iron!  

Too funny!
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Dtdk 8/28/2020, 2:28 pm

Well I am excited to try my new to me gsp with the 2 stage trigger. I may have to add a pardini to the stable some day as well. Unfortunately where I shoot and live I am yet to find anyone shooting european guns other then myself. So I only get to try what I buy, and that means waiting for a good deal on used guns so to avoid getting burned if I don't like it.

Dtdk

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 8/28/2020, 2:39 pm

Dtdk wrote:Well I am excited to try my new to me gsp with the 2 stage trigger.  I may have to add a pardini to the stable some day as well.  Unfortunately where I shoot and live I am yet to find anyone shooting european guns other then myself.  So I only get to try what I buy, and that means waiting for a good deal on used guns so to avoid getting burned if I don't like it.
Most of us can completely understand how money dictates what we have and what we use. I never dreamed I would be able to afford a Pardini but I had 3 Hammerli 280 Combo pistols that was almost LNIB and mentioned it to a collector. He bought 2 of them and I had enough to pick up a new one. That’s the only way I could swing it so you are not the only one sir! Enjoy your new Pistol will shoot better than all of us can do! It’s a good pistol
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Fezzik68 8/28/2020, 5:47 pm

I agree that Earl is a wealth of knowledge, but when did the GSP go out of production?
Still offered on their website for 2020.
Shoot what you like, find what you are comfortable with and enjoy. I like the unfailing reliability of the Walther. So much that I bought the GSP-C, and that dog hunts just fine for me. Like a 'FAT22'.

I don't want to start a war. I saw to many alibi's with the 'Princess' to rely on it in competition.
Yep, it has a different balance than my High Standard, or Hammerli. I didn't like the two stage trigger, so I bought a single stage & dropped it in. Thank you Earl.

Like I said, 30k+ rounds, 1 alibi.
Puts a smile on my face every time I shoot it.
-Jim

Fezzik68

Back to top Go down

Post by ssauer2004 8/28/2020, 5:57 pm

Fezzik68 wrote:I agree that Earl is a wealth of knowledge, but when did the GSP go out of production?
Still offered on their website for 2020.
Shoot what you like, find what you are comfortable with and enjoy. I like the unfailing reliability of the Walther. So much that I bought the GSP-C, and that dog hunts just fine for me. Like a 'FAT22'.

I don't want to start a war. I saw to many alibi's with the 'Princess' to rely on it in competition.
Yep, it has a different balance than my High Standard, or Hammerli. I didn't like the two stage trigger, so I bought a single stage & dropped it in. Thank you Earl.

Like I said, 30k+ rounds, 1 alibi.
Puts a smile on my face every time I shoot it.
-Jim
You can purchase a Walther GSP Expert, but you can't purchase a Walther GSP.  I'm curious to which gun is "The Princess"?
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Fezzik68 8/28/2020, 6:26 pm

Pardini. We have quite a few shooters on league nights, alibi strings typically Pardini & S&W 41.
Don't misunderstand me they are well built and a sweet shooter. I would try one before ruling it out.
Grip angle is like a 10M air pistol.

I broke the firing pin in once my GSP at around 2500 rounds, and still finished the match. My one alibi was a dud round. I tried to fire it off after the match, nothing. Even in a Mark III.

FYI -Use #6 yellow drywall anchors for dryfire, not snap caps. Much nicer for the firing pin...

-Jim

Fezzik68

Back to top Go down

Post by ssauer2004 8/28/2020, 7:18 pm

Fezzik68 wrote:Pardini. We have quite a few shooters on league nights, alibi strings typically Pardini & S&W 41.
Don't misunderstand me they are well built and a sweet shooter. I would try one before ruling it out.
Grip angle is like a 10M air pistol.

I broke the firing pin in once my GSP at around 2500 rounds, and still finished the match. My one alibi was a dud round. I tried to fire it off after the match, nothing. Even in a Mark III.

I’d be interested to know what model and year Pardini. I’ve never had an alibi with mine (2019 SP Bullseye). I’ve also watched quite a bit of ISSF competitions, 95% Pardini.

FYI -Use #6 yellow drywall anchors for dryfire, not snap caps. Much nicer for the firing pin...

-Jim
ssauer2004
ssauer2004

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 8/28/2020, 7:40 pm

TonyH wrote:
CrankyThunder wrote:
Tony

Too funny!
Damn.............

You did whip it out of your boxers when you were back in the shed putting stuff away.  

what is surprising is how short a barrel those matchguns got in the first place.  

Poor thing, she was droooling all the way home and I am at a loss.
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 8/28/2020, 8:22 pm

Ok, now you are just making stuff up.......and I didn’t expect barrel envy! It not the size anyway...it’s the score that counts....
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next