Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Little off-topic: Smallbore Rifle

5 posters

Go down

Little off-topic:  Smallbore Rifle Empty Little off-topic: Smallbore Rifle

Post by LeadSlinger Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:59 pm

As my pistol league is about to wrap up for the winter, I'd like to begin to expand into rifle marksmanship. Since I'm fairly new to the world of competitive shooting, I'm not sure where to start. I'm also trying to find kindred spirits in my gun club, so I'm starting an informal indoor smallbore rifle league (the outdoor range is shared and usually consumed by trap shooters). To that end, I was wondering...

- Are there any decent resources you can recommend? I have looked at TargetTalk.org's forum, but it seems pretty advanced for a new shooter like me. Mostly, I'm looking for techniques and fundamentals that can help me improve (I found out really quickly that I need to work at my offhand shooting!). Besides websites, are there any books or army manuals you can recommend?
- Anyone else participate or run a league that can share some insights with me? I plan on running it as a handicapped team league, so all ages & abilities can compete. I also plan to allow junior members to shoot for free, so we can encourage the future generation. Besides reading the NRA smallbore handbook, is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

LeadSlinger

Back to top Go down

Little off-topic:  Smallbore Rifle Empty Re: Little off-topic: Smallbore Rifle

Post by rfmiller Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:11 am

It's been a long time since I shot smallbore rifle, but I think you should start with the Army Marksmanship Unit book. It helped me a lot when I got started (many years ago). For younger, uninitiated shooters, the Boy Scout merit badge pamphlet "Rifle Shooting" is a very basic but well written reference.

rfmiller

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:19 pm

did you post this on Target Talk in the Rifle section? They will help all levels to get started.
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by ddivins Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:13 pm

Target Talk is great and so is Rim Fire Central (rimfirecentral.com).

ddivins

Back to top Go down

Post by DeweyHales Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:19 pm

The USAMU is a good source. The CMP is as well. Gary Anderson has written a pamphlet called "The CMP Rifle Instruction Guide." Get that for a starting place. If you can get to a match, there will be someone there that can help you.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by LeadSlinger Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks to all that responded! Due to a not-so-fun bout with the norovirus, I haven't been able to get back to this until now.

Regarding the USAMU & CMP, it looks like I can order copies of lots of training materials from the CMP, so I will probably go ahead with that. I also bought a copy of Jeff Cooper's "The Art of the Rifle" - Lot of good basics there, and I highly recommend it. Now, I think I just need to practice ( a LOT).

LeadSlinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down