Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model 41 S&W Slide Stop Failure Rate

4 posters

Go down

Model 41 S&W Slide Stop Failure Rate Empty Model 41 S&W Slide Stop Failure Rate

Post by REConley 12/10/2020, 1:38 pm

I have two model 41's and both have had their slide stop fail with in the last 3 months. I have owned them for about the same length of time and in that time I have fired between 36-37K rounds through them combined. I guess the split on ammo fired is 45 to 55%. Is the failure rate at about 18K rounds an expected, or should I say, not an unexpected event? 

Not a big deal if that is the norm. A $48 part and 15 minutes with a screw driver and repair is made.

Just curious but I thought it wise to have a spare after the first, hence the 15 minute comment and I have already ordered another spare.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Model 41 S&W Slide Stop Failure Rate Empty Re: Model 41 S&W Slide Stop Failure Rate

Post by spursnguns 12/10/2020, 4:32 pm

Hello REConley,

Apparently, I've been very lucky.  I have a couple of M41s and a M46.  Round count?  I don't know, well into the six figures.  The net net, I never a slide stop failure.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Model 41 S&W Slide Stop Failure Rate Empty Re: Model 41 S&W Slide Stop Failure Rate

Post by Slamfire 12/10/2020, 5:53 pm

REConley wrote:I have two model 41's and both have had their slide stop fail with in the last 3 months. I have owned them for about the same length of time and in that time I have fired between 36-37K rounds through them combined. I guess the split on ammo fired is 45 to 55%. Is the failure rate at about 18K rounds an expected, or should I say, not an unexpected event? 

Not a big deal if that is the norm. A $48 part and 15 minutes with a screw driver and repair is made.

Just curious but I thought it wise to have a spare after the first, hence the 15 minute comment and I have already ordered another spare.

How often do you change recoil springs?  I will bet that given a weak recoil spring, the slide goes back hard, and that is transmitted to your slide stop.

I do not have that many rounds on my M41 and hope my slide stop lasts longer.

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 12/11/2020, 8:43 pm

Hmmm, I've never had one fail. What year gun? Rough serial No.? 
ie Tbj, A series, or just numbers? 

What happened? Front half break off where it sticks up? If so, is there a sharp corner that acts as a stress riser? My guess. Weak springs would reduce the impact.

If it's a corner, get in there with a small round file and smooth out the notch

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by REConley 12/11/2020, 10:07 pm

2018 or 2019 built pistols and the break was in the same spot on both. A millimeter in front of the slide stop face before the radius coming off of the  pivot point arm.  I am a bit surprised that the second one did not break half way down the arm as there is a metal void on both sides at the same point. The more I look at these the less I am surprised that they failed.
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum