Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nelson conversion on 9mm Ronin???

4 posters

Go down

Nelson conversion on 9mm Ronin??? Empty Nelson conversion on 9mm Ronin???

Post by Whipped500 Tue May 18, 2021 5:02 pm

Anybody know if the conversion will just go on and run?

Talked to Larry yesterday briefly and he mentioned that the RO needed a little filing on the ejector but I didn't want to take up too much of his time to ask him if the Ronin was same? I would rather not modify/file the ejector because I want to be able to go back and forth to 9mm slide.

With that said, let me give some background...I already have a browning Buck mark and just got a conversion for Sig P226. I haven't shot the P226 yet so not sure how reliable it will be? I have concerns about the Sig not liking the Federal  range pack that I stockpiled (seems to be the same/similar as auto match 40g 1200fps). I figured the Nelson would be a lot more reliable?

I haven't bought the 1911 yet and that is why I am here  asking. I am not planning bullseye competition but would like good accuracy, so is buying a 1911 for a Nelson but still switching back to original slide a bad idea? Is the conversion more for a dedicated frame?

If not, would a 45 be better than 9mm as far as modification? If I understood Larry correctly,  it sounded like only a few swipes of a file on a Springfield RO 9mm.

Can anyone recommend a good value 1911 to start with to scratch my itch? Again,  not looking to do bullseye,  just have fun and reliably run the Federal ammo I have without breaking the bank. I have my eye on the Springfield Ronin 9mm and RIA tac 9...9mm because if ammo prices ever come down,  it is still more affordable to shoot the 9 than 45. If it is recommended that I use a 45, then that is what I will do.

Or lastly,  should I forget about the whole idea of getting the conversion and 1911 and just run what I have?

Thanks and sorry for being so long winded! I have been researching on here for days hoping to find the info I needed but finally had to sign up and be bothersome. It seems like 9mm 1911 have come a ways in the last few years for reliability in themselves but wasn't sure about with the conversion?

Whipped500

Back to top Go down

Nelson conversion on 9mm Ronin??? Empty Re: Nelson conversion on 9mm Ronin???

Post by jjfitch Tue May 18, 2021 10:03 pm

In a previous thread on another forum several users mounted Nelson conversions on 9mm 1911's with little to no modifications.  One user quoted: "Just a few file strokes on the top of the ejector had mine running with no failures!" 

Smiles,
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Wed May 19, 2021 12:16 am

I am runnng AA conversionon Dan Wesson 1911 9mm. Had to file AA slide on the inside, rather than ejector. Not a quick job if you want it thorough and clean, but not hard at all.  Filing was for width only, not height. If I understand it correct the 9mm ejector is wider, not taller, so you have to take extra material off the side of the firing pin enclosure. You you should not remove material from the ejector side as it's there on purpose (9mm narrower than 45).  Few ejectors I played with were (seemingly) same height 45 or 9, just the width difference. My experience on AA may not reflect same on Nelson, Marvel or others, but seems to me that the AA was not done with 9mm in mind.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by bob finger Wed May 19, 2021 11:00 am

It ain't a big deal to fit the Nelson to a 9MM RO frame. As Larry told you a few passes on the ejector will get the Nelson to fit.  It will NOT affect how the 9MM slide works, unless you take way too much off the ejector.  Take a few passes and try to mount the slide.  If it won't go on take a couple more passes and try again.  Stop when the Nelson slide goes on.

That said, a good many 9MM 1911 bottoms will take the Nelson without any need for the above.  I can put my Nelson on my PM 9, and on several other RO's without issue.  bob

If you are like me once you have the Nelson on a good 1911 lower you will find your other .22 handguns spend way too much time in storage.

bob finger

Back to top Go down

Post by Whipped500 Wed May 19, 2021 8:36 pm

I think I am going to try and call Springfield tomorrow and see if they can tell me if the ejector is pinned or glued. If pinned, then no big deal. If glued, I might think hard about a 9mm, even though that's what I want!

It doesn't sound like a big deal at all to file the ejector, I just don't want a dedicated 22. I would rather get a 45 and be able to shoot both.

Whipped500

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down