Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

prevent powder damage to uniflow hopper?

+5
SteveT
SingleActionAndrew
Wes Lorenz
Rich/WIS
Merick
9 posters

Go down

prevent powder damage to uniflow hopper? Empty prevent powder damage to uniflow hopper?

Post by Merick 6/11/2021, 1:03 am

Is there a trick to keep bullseye from burning into the acrylic(?) hopper on a uniflow powder measure that everyone but me knows about? 

I know you aren't supposed to leave it sit in there for extended periods but man oh man it gets sticky to the sides in a day or so.

Merick

Back to top Go down

prevent powder damage to uniflow hopper? Empty Re: prevent powder damage to uniflow hopper?

Post by Rich/WIS 6/11/2021, 1:15 am

I don't  use BE in my Uniflow, mostly in a vintage Bonanza fixed rotor measure and a Lyman 55.  I just wipe them out to get the BE loose and dump it back in the bottle.  Some recommend wiping the inside of the measure with a dryer sheet to reduce static cling but it hasn't seemed to help, at least for me.

Rich/WIS

Back to top Go down

prevent powder damage to uniflow hopper? Empty Re: prevent powder damage to uniflow hopper?

Post by Wes Lorenz 6/11/2021, 1:25 am

Pyrex powder hoppers - https://dramworx.com/products/rcbs/

Mine works - no discoloration or static cling.
Hope this helps.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 6/11/2021, 4:32 am

I have four of the hoppers from Ward @ dramworx and can report N310, N320 and longshot do not stick/cling to or discolor the pyrex.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 6/11/2021, 5:15 pm

I'm not sure what you are asking.

To keep the plastic from turning yellow-brown empty the hopper between loading sessions.

If you are getting powder sticking to the sides by static electricity then a humidifier will help and I've heard of people wiping the hopper with anti-static dryer sheets. I've never seen the need.

If you are getting the powder to stick to the sides by some chemical-mechanical means then I have no idea. I've never seen a power get sticky or gluey.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

prevent powder damage to uniflow hopper? Empty BE and powder hopper

Post by 8eightring 6/11/2021, 6:25 pm

Bullseye destroyed the hoppers on both my Lyman 55 and RCBS Uniflow powder measures. The powder ate right through and pitted the hoppers really bad. I had to replace the hoppers. On the other hand, I have let Bullseye sit for months in a Dillon powder measure and there were no ill effects at all except the hopper turned a little darker shade inside.
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by machinist mike 6/12/2021, 2:18 am

My hopper on my Uniflo turned black with deep scars etched into the sides.  I called RCBS and they sent me a new hopper, free of charge.

machinist mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 6/12/2021, 12:22 pm

I always empty the hopper on my RCBS Uniflow after throwing and bullet placement.  Never any problems with Titegroup, BE-86 or CFE.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 6/12/2021, 4:19 pm

Somewhere on the internet I ran across several suggestions for taking a plastic pocket meant for 3-ring notebooks and cutting the plastic, rolling it into a tube and using it as the powder hopper liner. I did this on my Dillon SDB and Hornady LNL, but will add that I pour out the powder to a working powder canister after loading. I use powder baffles and the plastic liner stays in place.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 6/12/2021, 4:26 pm

Rich/WIS wrote:I don't  use BE in my Uniflow, mostly in a vintage Bonanza fixed rotor measure and a Lyman 55.  I just wipe them out to get the BE loose and dump it back in the bottle.  Some recommend wiping the inside of the measure with a dryer sheet to reduce static cling but it hasn't seemed to help, at least for me.

I grounded both of my presses to drain static charges and it seems to work. My day job is big on grounding everything to prevent excitement.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down