Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model 52 barrel damage

+8
Jerry Keefer
AllAces
james r chapman
dronning
Bubba Blaster
C.Perkins
Rob Kovach
rhyno01
12 posters

Go down

Model 52 barrel damage Empty Model 52 barrel damage

Post by rhyno01 1/4/2015, 9:39 am

Hey all

During our match yesterday I had 1 round that seemed really hot. I am using 2.8g of BE with a HBWC. There was a strange hole in the target after the hot round. Gun functioned no problem. I have heard that if the bullet separates it can damage the barrel. All I can tell is the barrel is about .002 out of round. It also is even down the barrel but at the chamber end is about .002 smaller.
Is this normal?
Thanks
Royce

rhyno01

Back to top Go down

Model 52 barrel damage Empty Re: Model 52 barrel damage

Post by Rob Kovach 1/4/2015, 10:16 am

The damage occurs when the HBWC separates and leaves the hollow base in the barrel and a subsequent bullet hits the obstruction and causes a bulge.

It doesn't sound like you bulged your barrel this time.  I couldn't tell you if the measurements you have are normal though.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rhyno01 1/4/2015, 10:49 am

Rob Kovach wrote:The damage occurs when the HBWC separates and leaves the hollow base in the barrel and a subsequent bullet hits the obstruction and causes a bulge.

It doesn't sound like you bulged your barrel this time.  I couldn't tell you if the measurements you have are normal though.

So it sounds like if that happens the bulge is quite obvious?

rhyno01

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 1/4/2015, 11:02 am

Clean the bore and look to see if you see a ring inside.
Use a tight fitting patch and slowly push it through the bore and see if you can feel an area that feels loose at any point and then gets hard again.

If you did not fire another shot after the problem round with a piece of the skirt in the bore then it is most likely fine.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba Blaster 1/4/2015, 11:05 am

Take a cleaning rod with the correct sized jag and slowly push a tight patch thru the barrel from the breech end ,if you have a bulge you will feel a loose spot in the barrel.
Tight...loose....Tight
Got it ?

Somebody beat me to it.

Bubba Blaster

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 1/4/2015, 11:10 am

rhyno01 wrote:
Rob Kovach wrote:The damage occurs when the HBWC separates and leaves the hollow base in the barrel and a subsequent bullet hits the obstruction and causes a bulge.

Not always, sometimes the bulge can be so small you may not be able to see it from the outside.  When you clean the bore with a jag you should be able to feel a skip but if not look down it and if you see a dark ring you probably have a bulge.  Usually this is just past the chamber.

Don't panic yet if it's small enough and in the right spot your 52's accuracy may still be very good.  

- Dave

well 2 of you beat me to it
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 1/4/2015, 11:40 am

Does this happen in 52's? I always thought it was more of an issue in revolvers with cylinder throat/gap/forcing cone relationships.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 1/4/2015, 11:58 am

It does happen with 52s when the HBWC are pushed sooo fast that the projectile comes apart in such a way that all of the gasses go unobstructed through the skirt and just the bullet tip exits the barrel leaving the skirt behind.  It only happens with incorrectly charged ammo.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 1/4/2015, 12:42 pm

I agree with Rob. 2.8 gr of BE is the classic load for an M52. Hotter loads will cause the hollow base skirt to separate. Sometimes the skirt stays in the bore, sometimes it goes down range and can result in a square hole in the target.  Looks like you had a hot load.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by rhyno01 1/4/2015, 3:09 pm

dronning wrote:
rhyno01 wrote:

Not always, sometimes the bulge can be so small you may not be able to see it from the outside.  When you clean the bore with a jag you should be able to feel a skip but if not look down it and if you see a dark ring you probably have a bulge.  Usually this is just past the chamber.

Don't panic yet if it's small enough and in the right spot your 52's accuracy may still be very good.  

- Dave

well 2 of you beat me to it

I think I got lucky this time. It would seem the bullet did separate but it all came out of the barrel. I did fire another round after the hot shot and it was normal. I'm kicking myself for not checking after that shot. That wont happen again. I did run a patch through the barrel and it was tight all the way and no black ring.
Thank you all for the help!
Royce

rhyno01

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 1/4/2015, 3:25 pm

I think I got lucky this time.  no black ring.
Royce
That's great, as replacement 52 barrels are almost completely extinct..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser 1/4/2015, 4:33 pm

Maybe a dumb question but is it possible to sleeve a barrel after a bulge is put into it?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan 1/4/2015, 9:23 pm

Semiauto barrels of that type are so skinny I don't believe that sleeving one is within the intersection of technically possible and economically sensible.

Rarity might change the calculations on that, but so long as the thing still holds the X-ring (or whatever is good enough for you), I wouldn't even think about it again.

AND, a "choke" barrel that narrows from breech to muzzle is a good thing. It has even been done deliberately over the past century or so as an accuracy measure. A bore tapering the other direction has the reputation of being impossible to delivber top accuracy.

The out of round by .002 is a bit of a concern, but a single hot round is most unlikely to cause that from end-to-end, probably impossible. If the bullets fit the loose axis, no problem. Some barrel makers intentionally go .0005 undersize and some bullet makers intentionally go .0005 oversize from "nominal" anyway.  Again, if it shoots, don't worry. I know I wouldn't.

My personal theory is that you had a hot round and the HBWC skirt was flared out to whatever odd shape you saw in the target.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 1/4/2015, 11:14 pm

Yes,it can be done,and has been done. As Grumpy said, a lot of work. In bullseye, accuracy is paramount, so I am against stressing the barrel. I would rather make a completely new barrel.
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba Blaster 1/4/2015, 11:51 pm

Jerry Keefer wrote:Yes,it can be done,and has been done. As Grumpy said, a lot of work. In bullseye, accuracy is paramount, so I am against stressing the barrel. I would rather make a completely new barrel.

How much for a new barrel ?  I'm sitting down already ....and the answer is ?  (Drum roll )

Bubba Blaster

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 1/5/2015, 8:25 am

Bubba Blaster wrote:
Jerry Keefer wrote:Yes,it can be done,and has been done. As Grumpy said, a lot of work. In bullseye, accuracy is paramount, so I am against stressing the barrel. I would rather make a completely new barrel.

How much for a new barrel ?  I'm sitting down already ....and the answer is ?  (Drum roll )

Jerry I'd like to know too.  I have a 52 I picked up on a great deal with a slight bulge but it still shoots pretty good.  I'd really like a new barrel.

Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 1/5/2015, 9:01 am

Sorry, I am retired except for two shooters.. I have completed my back log, and I have promised to dedicate the rest of what time I have left to them..
I know that writting my experiments, and findings are inticements, but they are only meant to relay what is possible.  Making a barrel is perhaps advanced for some, but it's something any good machinist should be able to do..  There are a few barrels hidden out there.. I have two brand new 52 barrels coming this week.. The shooter bought them years ago, and never used them.. I am only borrowing them for measurement studies..I want to get the camming angles perfect...The barrel I have looks like a beginning machinist made it..although it does function..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 1/5/2015, 12:20 pm

Jerry, if you ever decide to write a book of all the knowledge you have about gunsmithing, machining, and FIXTURING you could probably retire completely and still take care of your two shooters. Where do I put the deposit for the book? I damn sure would get that one!
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 1/5/2015, 1:11 pm

kc.crawford.7 wrote:Jerry, if you ever decide to write a book of all the knowledge you have about gunsmithing, machining, and FIXTURING you could probably retire completely and still take care of your two shooters.  Where do I put the deposit for the book?  I damn sure would get that one!
Thanks, KC
My intention at one time was to write one, and had an offer to have it edited for free.. But, that spark has died...It's a big investment in money and time, initially for a return that is speculative..And, I am running out of both time and money..... I do have a gizzillion pictures on thumb drives..SmileSmile
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 1/5/2015, 1:13 pm

And I collect every one of them that you post. How bout we plan a ride late summer early fall when the weather is nicer?
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RJP 1/5/2015, 8:52 pm

Jerry Keefer wrote:

I think I got lucky this time.  no black ring.
Royce
That's great, as replacement 52 barrels are almost completely extinct..

Jerry,

Is it feasible to take a new 9mm barrel from a Smith& Wesson Model 952 and rechamber to 38 Spl?

RJP

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 1/5/2015, 9:59 pm

KC...That sounds good.
RP..I know absolutely nothing about the 952..Never had one in my hands..Sorry I am no help on that one.
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan 1/6/2015, 12:24 pm

Jerry and K.C.:

Please accept this as a second offer for free editing when the materials come together.

I did something similar before, on the 1st Edition of "The M14 Rifle, History and Development", by Lee Emerson, who posts over on BattleRifles as "Different".  I'm not always the fastest but I'm pretty good.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down