Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camp Perry 2021

+26
SteveT
orpheoet
tyro
Wobbley
Olde Pilot
Multiracer
xman
Lightfoot
fc60
10's N X's
Oleg G
inthebeech
Rotwang
mikemyers
jjbhonn
Colt711
Dcforman
john bickar
brassmaster
bruce martindale
javaduke
Schaumannk
dapduh2
chiz1180
james r chapman
Orpanaut
30 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Camp Perry 2021 - Page 5 Empty Camp Perry 2021

Post by Orpanaut 7/13/2021, 7:46 am

First topic message reminder :

This is a thread to share the Canp Perry experience with those who cannot attend this year.

For me, 2021 is both a return after missing both 2019 and 2020 and the beginning of a new normal with the NRA having left for Camp Atterbury and the CMP running the whole show.  It's good to be back. 

The first surprising thing about Perry 2021, at least for me, is the number of shooters here.  I thought that attendance would be down maybe a third as some shooters opted to go to the NRA Nationals instead.  But the RV park is full and there are no lodging vacancies, even in the barracks. 

This leads to the second surprise... the long wait to check in with the CMP.  It's the same setup in the Arcade as in previous years, but with more matches to process the system seems to have bogged down some.  I got in line mid-afternoon yesterday (probably the worst possible time) and didn't finish until two hours later.  Next year, I will have to arrive earlier so I can finish before the practice range closes.

Orpanaut

scotts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Camp Perry 2021 - Page 5 Empty Re: Camp Perry 2021

Post by james r chapman 7/18/2021, 8:43 am

Camp Perry 2021 - Page 5 2935285009
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 7/18/2021, 9:00 am

chiz1180 wrote:Targets at Perry historically have been pasted to the backer, you would replace the entire cardboard/target for each target. So while in your mind backers are a separate issue this was the main issue I was referring in regards to savings. 
Also, you can not plug corrugated plastic sheet, the plug will work properly.

It is also clear that you probably have never ran a match and do not fully understand all that is required to make a match happen on a small scale, let alone with several hundred competitors.
I helped run our DCM GARAND qualification matches which were 100 yard 50 shot rifle NMCs.  We usually had    3 or 4 relays of 30, so I know how to run a match.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut 7/18/2021, 9:33 am

The M&P match kicked my butt. Like most other people, I went into it without much preparation and I struggled to manage the Glock trigger, even with two hands. It was a humbling experience and now I want to come back next year to take another crack at it.

All participants got a T-shirt from the CMP which is one of the nicer ones I've seen here.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut 7/18/2021, 9:56 am

When I went to check the industry reps on Range 3, Walther and Starrett were the only ones there. Still, it was worthwhile to be able to chat with them and I did get some free oil samples from Starrett.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 7/18/2021, 10:17 am

Did Ohio not have a team for NTT this year? I don't see ORPA on the results list.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/18/2021, 10:40 am

john bickar wrote:Did Ohio not have a team for NTT this year? I don't see ORPA on the results list.

Out of competition team.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 7/18/2021, 11:33 am

chiz1180 wrote:
john bickar wrote:Did Ohio not have a team for NTT this year? I don't see ORPA on the results list.

Out of competition team.

Why was that?
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/18/2021, 11:47 am

Would have needed to burn more than one new shooter. Unfortunately, many of the Ohio shooters that will still shoot service pistol could not make it to Perry this year, so this was a development year to get newer shooters familiar with team matches. ORPA had a team for the 2700 for this purpose.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 7/18/2021, 12:08 pm

chiz1180 wrote:Would have needed to burn more than one new shooter. Unfortunately, many of the Ohio shooters that will still shoot service pistol could not make it to Perry this year, so this was a development year to get newer shooters familiar with team matches. ORPA had a team for the 2700 for this purpose.

Wow. Times have changed.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 7/18/2021, 12:33 pm

For sure. If you want more insight feel free to send me a PM.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 7/18/2021, 12:47 pm

I'm catching up after getting home yesterday and I think there's a lot more complaints than are justified. In general I think the CMP did a pretty good job overall except for the check-in issues. The week ran more smoothly than most and I suspect they ended up with a lot more last minute signups than they expected, so maybe they just weren't ready.

I like 2 relays and all 4 team members shoot at the same time... We got an extra match and were done by 4pm every day, but still had some time to BS before the teams match started.

The new turning targets look well designed and could be repaired very quickly since it's made 2 target sections that are bolted together. I wish they turned a little faster, but it's all the same for everyone so it is fair.

Now to be fair Check-in really needs to be made smoother and faster. I bet they are already working on it.

It's a pet-peeve of mine, but I think they should re-write the commands. They use the word "Clear" for both the safe and hot condition of the range... as in "the range is clear, go forward and score" and "the range is clear you may handle your guns"

Finally there were some things that changed, but are neither better or worse, just different. I don't mind using repair centers... We do that at every other match, why not at Perry? No relay rotation... OK whatever, just tell me when to shoot. Random position assignments, I would prefer shooting with others at my skill level, but I recognize it makes squadding much easier. Fewer awards categories - I almost want to put this in the better category. Most of us aren't in bullseye for the money.

I do kind of miss the old white fence. It served no purpose and got in the say sometimes, but you always knew a picture was taken at Perry when you saw that.

Last edited by SteveT on 7/18/2021, 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

bruce martindale, Hawkja and Joe Morgan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 7/18/2021, 2:25 pm

Nice to see a positive sumary Steve!

Hope pistol shooting is going thru a transition for the good.

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut 7/18/2021, 6:13 pm

I wound up shooting one last match after I thought I was done. A friend convinced me to go try the OHP pistol pop-up match behind the airgun range and I'm glad I went. It was a blast. There were three series of ten shots each on a group of targets that popped up, one or two at a time, at ranges of about seven to thirty yards. Each target could be shot one time with the scoring being simply hit or miss for a maximum score of 30.

It's a shame that CMP didn't have that range running earlier in the week when more people were around. I think it would have been a big hit.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by TomH_pa 7/18/2021, 9:58 pm

I've shot service rifle at Perry for 12 years but this was only my third pistol trip and my first Perry 2700....I thought it was great! I just enjoy shooting at Camp Perry. The wind and rain are part of the deal.
As a side bonus I scored Ryan Franks' P100 winning targets! Probably as close as I'll get to winning it Smile

TomH_pa

Jon Eulette and ric1911a1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin 7/19/2021, 7:24 pm

Thats awesome Tom, I scored Chris Hudock's winning target in 2018 and that was pretty cool. I scored him again this year at Cardinal, we were joking that I'm his good luck charm. He is a hard holder for sure.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by TomH_pa 7/20/2021, 9:59 am

When I went to score his TF target and counted holes I got 9. I'm thinking Crap! I have to tell this Army hard holder he only has 9 holes.
I take a closer look and one of the X's is barely discernibly oblong but definitely 2 shots. He did it again in RF only with 3 shots!!

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Post by alaronstein 7/22/2021, 8:43 pm

This is my 28th year at Camp Perry for High Standard. I took over from Bob Shea in 2013. Bob had 62 years at Camp Perry for High Standard. My laptop crashed and, I was not able to write any reports from there. Our Bldg(1022A)  group were all there from Monday 7/12 until 7/19. I left and Inland Mfg left as we have nothing for the Small Bore Matches. Bob Jones Sights is there and has kept our Bldg Open for his sales and for receiving freight that I am sending for the Rifle Matches. I was going to stay BUT, the Aguila 22LR ammunition that I had ordered was stolen by the Cartels in Mexico. I will be there next year with a LARGE stock of ammunition to sell. I am going to open for Rifle on 7/31 and, I will be open until 8/9. I was amazed by the number of NEW shooters that attended the matches. I have been watching this for 28 years and, I am VERY happy to see a 25+ % increase in the average number over the past 10 years. I saw new teams from all over. I saw the most jr teams and college age shooters that I can recall EVER seeing. It was wonderful to behold !!!! The lady in the CMP office told me that she is predicting 1,000 shooters for pistol in 2022. The lady in the Post Exchange told me that she couldn't ever remember being this busy. She is retiring in Sept and, she has been watching the traffic for years. The delays and operational problems stem from the fact that EVERYONE expected a down year. The food issues are a reflection of the businesses that have closed or Barely hung on in the Camp Perry area. I think that the CMP and OhioNG did a great job in restructuring after the NRA made a GRAVE ERROR(in My Opinion) in pulling out. I sold more High Standard Pistols than I have sold there in years. I did minor repairs and dealt with trigger pull issues on Monday and Tuesday. Sales of Parts, Magazines, and Accessories were GREAT. I am shipping more pistols items for the Rifle Matches as they also buy pistols and parts. More to follow if my new computer holds up.- Alan Aronstein

alaronstein

8eightring, ssauer2004, orpheoet, Hawkja and TomH_pa like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 7/23/2021, 8:35 am

Dcforman wrote:To get this conversation back on track.... I will say that I had a wonderful time at Perry this year. Relays started on time, range personnel were kind and helpful, I had zero range alibis. One stoppage before team matches for a boat in the water. Weather honestly wasn't that bad (but I'm used to the wind, and I don't mind the rain). Lugging your box to the Short line is really the only issue, which isn't bad if you plan for it. At least they actually gave you a 2 minute prep time at the Short line this year! 

I personally appreciated using repair centers. Much easier than lugging 9 backers to the line for every relay. And they score the same. Also, just a point of reference, most of the backers used during the 2700 were once shot, but every thing Saturday used fresh backers.

For me, Perry is about shooting against the best. I do hope they eventually release the results sorted by classification. It is nice to see how I did compared to others in my class. I know it didn't immediately post because the CMP online scoring system isn't set up for classifications. We'll see if this gets done.

Anyway, had an awesome time. I'm exhausted, but smiling. Already thinking about next year! 

Dave
Ditto Dave.
Good Range personnel, yes.
A full 2 min to adjust equipment. BIG YES!
Repair centers, also a yes. Those I could put inside my 2.5 gal scoring bag. During the NTI & Pres 100 (1st relay), I had to go back & 2 more TF/RF fire backers as the ones I brought to the line were soaked through. Had enough issues with the 3rd SF keeping it in the holder due to soggy edges.
No target turner breakdowns (at least in my relays) Huge yes!

All in all, had a wonderful time. Saw a bunch of old friends & met some new ones.
Thanks CMP!
Allen

Al

jmdavis likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5