Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CHEAP 22LR IS BACK

+3
james r chapman
BE Mike
C7@71
7 posters

Go down

CHEAP 22LR IS BACK Empty CHEAP 22LR IS BACK

Post by C7@71 Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:34 am

A buddy sent this to me.  It is from a local NC/SC Firearms site.  It was in the “members….as in made a donation…only” section.

22LR Remington golden bullet 525 pack $30 each

vp9c - Member - Charter Life Member - Benefactor

Posted Yesterday at 10:27 AMNewAdd bookmark#1

I saw three of these today in Wally world and picked them up to pass along to members

they were 26.83 Plus tax.

OK…..my comments…..May not be “match quality”, but certainly OK for practice.  I have shot a bunch this past year.  My Browning Buck Mark will reject a few as the firing pin striker seems too light. But both RUGERS have not had any failures.  I will NOT feed them to my SW M41….LOL

C7@71

rimfirewala likes this post

Back to top Go down

CHEAP 22LR IS BACK Empty Re: CHEAP 22LR IS BACK

Post by BE Mike Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:56 am

I certainly wouldn't shoot that ammo in any decent gun, be it rifle or pistol. No copper washed .22 LR ammo gets used in any of my .22's. It also has a history of being inaccurate and unreliable in many guns. The operative word is "cheap" not inexpensive.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by C7@71 Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:14 am

I guess we each have our own standards and specifications.  I have a buddy that regularly shoots, using the standard one handed BE stance….some unbelievable scores.  Using the B-8 target @ 25 yards….a 10 shot Slow Fire string, he will score 97 -98.  We often shoot, in practice, a 20 shot string and he has scored a 98.5 on that.

The Remington ammo is now being produced by CCI People….brought in to run the plant.

The “TheunderDuds”, as they are called, based on a wide sampling of various lots is more of a function of the striker than being a “DUD”.  I  get almost a 100% FIRED result when I take a misfire from my Buck Mark and use it in either Ruger.

I said it was NOT match quality….but my buddy shoots it in a Buck Mark and a Ruger, without any mods….save a good Red Dot.  His Buck Mark is not as finicky as mine.

I will not debate the copper washing, but the ammo in a stock 22 with a normal strike has proven to be way more accurate than most shooters….

So, I was just passing this on as a comment on price and availability….

I could post a picture of one of his target outings that speaks to the reliability and accuracy…..but I don’t think we want to raise this to a behind the barn measuring our manhood level.

C7@71

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:14 pm

Sure! We love targets!!!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Motophotog7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:54 pm

Interesting comments and opinions about "cheap" 22LR ammo. It happens that a few months ago I came across CCI mini-mag "Meat Eaters" at a reasonable price for 300 round packs in a local store. I bought some for the hell of it and put it through my (at that time) absolutely box stock Ruger 22/45 bull barrel model. Only mod was a Ruger rail and cheap red dot.

I shot several training 900's at 25 yards on the correct targets. My objective at the time was to use a gun with a "rough and heavy" trigger in order to try to overcome my "chicken finger" and trigger staging issue - it helped a lot at the time.

The important point was that I shot a couple of High Master level 900 Aggregates with that cheap gun and "nasty copper washed" ammo. All of the flyers were on call and all were of my making. I had no malfunctions or mis-fires. But I do admit that I would not put that ammo through my Pardini!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:23 am

C7@71 wrote:I guess we each have our own standards and specifications.  I have a buddy that regularly shoots, using the standard one handed BE stance….some unbelievable scores.  Using the B-8 target @ 25 yards….a 10 shot Slow Fire string, he will score 97 -98.  We often shoot, in practice, a 20 shot string and he has scored a 98.5 on that.

The Remington ammo is now being produced by CCI People….brought in to run the plant.

The “TheunderDuds”, as they are called, based on a wide sampling of various lots is more of a function of the striker than being a “DUD”.  I  get almost a 100% FIRED result when I take a misfire from my Buck Mark and use it in either Ruger.

I said it was NOT match quality….but my buddy shoots it in a Buck Mark and a Ruger, without any mods….save a good Red Dot.  His Buck Mark is not as finicky as mine.

I will not debate the copper washing, but the ammo in a stock 22 with a normal strike has proven to be way more accurate than most shooters….

So, I was just passing this on as a comment on price and availability….

I could post a picture of one of his target outings that speaks to the reliability and accuracy…..but I don’t think we want to raise this to a behind the barn measuring our manhood level.
I guess I'm confused. I thought the B-8 target was used for timed and rapid fire at 25 yards and the B-16 was used for slow fire at 25 yards. Shooting a slow fire group at the 3"+ ten ring at 25 yards is no great feat. Many precision pistol shooters count on cleaning the short line with their .22 pistols during matches.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by C7@71 Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:59 am

We are not competitive BS shooters….but we have been in a match or two.  Our club stocks and only uses the B8 targets, so we practice with them and occasionally score them….just for the fun of it.  When we have our “Novice BE” outings, our Match Director uses the B16 for SF and the B8 for TF & RF….all at 25 yards.  

My only point was that my buddy, using stock a stock Ruger and Buck Mark with a decent optic and the “HV HP ThunderWhatevers and a NEW TO HIM One Handed BE Stance”, does a pretty good job.  

We novices rarely outshoot our Equipment.  As long as you have a modern gun, with a “in tolerance” chamber and an “average” striker force, the number of duds is miniscule.  I have had the CCI Target SV ammo have a few duds when I shoot my SW M41.  

As I and another poster said….good for practice or plinking.  I would not shoot in my M41 and he said the same about his Pardini….

C7@71

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:22 pm

james r chapman wrote:Sure! We love targets!!!

Still do!!!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:31 pm

This forum is about precision pistol shooting and shooters. Everyone starts as a novice, but many hope to improve along the way to compete in Approved and Registered Matches. If you don't aspire to do this, fine. I have been retired from the sport for years, but am mostly interested in comments about the sport, as it relates to indoor and outdoor matches based upon the rules. I also am interested in ammo and equipment as it pertains to the sport. Anything else is just about plinking. I see enough articles elsewhere about "tack driving accuracy", etc. Such posts, to me, only water down what is normally a great forum. Sorry if I offend you. I am pretty blunt at times.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:50 pm

Insert joke about shooting greased rocks for the short line here…

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:06 am

SmokinNJokin wrote:Insert joke about shooting greased rocks for the short line here…
I thought it was bubble gum and talcum powder.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:48 am

Kindof brings up a point that I make when giving our annual league awards presentation...that winning all this stuff is nice but what really drives the league is not the Masters, but the Marksmen and new shooters, that includes juniors and ladies. 

Dogs ringing, more later

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

RodJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:23 pm

And what drives new shooters is economical equipment and ammo. 

Many new players already have a Ruger, a Buckmark etc and some HS ammo and are looking for something to do with it. That's how I got into Sporter Rifle and others. When they find encouragement and success they venture further. There is a need for entry level 45s as well

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

RodJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:23 pm

bruce martindale wrote:And what drives new shooters is economical equipment and ammo. 

Many new players already have a Ruger, a Buckmark etc and some HS ammo and are looking for something to do with it. That's how I got into Sporter Rifle and others. When they find encouragement and success they venture further. There is a need for entry level 45s as well
This ^^^^

Fortunately I have better ammo than golden bullets but this is a very good point. Last I checked the overwhelming advice to beginners has been a welcoming “shoot what you got”.  I assumed that also meant practice and learn with what you got. 

I have been shooting SR1 targets at 25 yards because I have a bunch of them.  They have a bigger black by about an inch, but I’m still working on getting all shots in the black and shooting X’s. There’s a lot to be learned for beginners (and DISCUSSED even on a PRECISION shooting forum) about sight alignment, stance, personal attitude, trigger finger, positive thinking, etc etc with a Ruger mark pistol and a box of affordable ammo.

I think the point of mentioning 25 yard b8 targets for SF/TF/RF was to qualify what the scores really represent. It was interesting to me, and I am now an official, active competitor with a little card and scores to prove it.  

BE Mike, I’m sorry if I offend you by shooting at the wrong target and mention it here.  Sometimes I even shoot at a blank target.  Or even just point an unloaded pistol at a blank wall and stare. I shoot a lot of x’s and 10s that way.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down