Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most reliable 22 LR for S&W M41

+18
jglenn21
Travlr99
bruce martindale
White hawk
Zepp
LenV
Colt711
Slamfire
Jack H
ak41
Kp321
GME
troystaten
C7@71
donp
james r chapman
Pinetree
handcycle
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Most reliable 22 LR for S&W M41 - Page 2 Empty Most reliable 22 LR for S&W M41

Post by handcycle 10/2/2021, 1:50 am

First topic message reminder :

I get stovepipe once in a while. Also get FTE occasionally with my Model 41.
Seems to be a common issue among 22 semi auto handguns.
I had tried Eley, S&K(Lapua) and others. I find Federal (shiny ones ) ammo most problematic.
So far the S&K Flatnose is my favourite ( no issues at all! Very Happy )
What are your experience? Question

Handcycle
handcycle
handcycle

Back to top Go down

Most reliable 22 LR for S&W M41 - Page 2 Empty Re: Most reliable 22 LR for S&W M41

Post by jglenn21 10/13/2021, 12:58 pm

One thing you should do to increase your reliability is to install a volquartsen extractor.solved many issues with the 41. The 41 suffers from an extractor that is simply too long.. old school fix was to bend the nose down to shorten the claw. The volquartsen is shorter to begin with and works fine.. even better if it's tuned to only grab the rim and not press against the case..

Last edited by jglenn21 on 10/17/2021, 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
jglenn21
jglenn21

troystaten, orpheoet and Travlr99 like this post

Back to top Go down

Most reliable 22 LR for S&W M41 - Page 2 Empty Re: Most reliable 22 LR for S&W M41

Post by Travlr99 10/13/2021, 6:01 pm

GME wrote:The CCI website limits sales to one brick at a time, and charges $12 shipping for each brick.  So, if I bought a case, a brick at a time, the shipping alone would be $120.  What's that about?

I suppose it's all about what the market will bear and maximizing profit.  I also ordered a brick of Blazer for shooting steel and got free shipping, and repeated the order a few times.  But overall Brownells was a better deal (assuming it's still in stock).

Travlr99

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 10/13/2021, 9:09 pm

Travlr99 wrote:
GME wrote:The CCI website limits sales to one brick at a time, and charges $12 shipping for each brick.  So, if I bought a case, a brick at a time, the shipping alone would be $120.  What's that about?

I suppose it's all about what the market will bear and maximizing profit.  I also ordered a brick of Blazer for shooting steel and got free shipping, and repeated the order a few times.  But overall Brownells was a better deal (assuming it's still in stock).

It's more about making it less attractive for scalpers to buy it all up and resell.

zanemoseley

hg401 and handcycle like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 10/14/2021, 2:55 am

handcycle wrote:I get stovepipe once in a while. Also get FTE occasionally with my Model 41.
I had tried Eley, S&K(Lapua) and others. I find Federal (shiny ones ) ammo most problematic.

Handcycle
I had your same issues, (FTE/ stovepipes) with CCI SV on a newer production SW-41. After much reading I sent the pistol and mags to Dave Sams for some tweaking. He said that it is common to need to do that for newer production M41. Below is a link to his site. 

http://www.samscustomgunworksusa.com/

hengehold

handcycle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by handcycle 10/14/2021, 3:31 am

I read that the newer production Model 41 has much issues as well. Not sure exactly why? I always think more testings plus good quality controls should take care of these problems. A brand new gun doesn't automatically mean it's rid of problems. When the latest runs of the Colt Pythons came out a few years ago, many of the pricey revolvers have minor problems. I believe the issues had now been fixed ( not 100% sure )
handcycle
handcycle

Back to top Go down

Post by hg401 10/14/2021, 2:59 pm

hengehold wrote:
 handcycle wrote:I get stovepipe once in a while. Also get FTE occasionally with my Model 41.

Handcycle
I had your same issues, (FTE/ stovepipes) with CCI SV on a newer production SW-41. After much reading I sent the pistol and mags to Dave Sams for some tweaking. He said that it is common to need to do that for newer production M41. Below is a link to his site. 

http://www.samscustomgunworksusa.com/

At the price of a new M41, you shouldn't have to tweak it to function properly.

hg401

Back to top Go down

Post by orpheoet 10/17/2021, 6:38 am

My 41 which is a 1984 runs flawlessly with CCI SV, Eley Club, SK Standard Plus, Wolf Match, and Geco Bolt Action. It has a 6.5 lb recoil spring and a Volquartzen extractor. It is in fact the ONLY .22 I own that has never had an alibi.
orpheoet
orpheoet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2