Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ammunition selection for FGW Marvel

5 posters

Go down

Ammunition selection for FGW Marvel  Empty Ammunition selection for FGW Marvel

Post by JimTMich 10/28/2021, 10:20 am

I have been using CCI SV in my FGW Marvel conversion for several seasons successfully from new.

At the end of last season I opened a new case of CCI-SV and was getting a FTF almost every magazine (same on all 4 plastic FGW magazines).

I talked to FGW and they indicated they had seen that on some lots of CCI-SV.  They indicated to get different lot of ammo or different mfg.  They said they could open up the chamber but that would reduce accuracy.  I got a few bricks of CCI-SV from another lot and it works fine.  (I have had to add a drop of light oil on the first round of every mag since new or I get failures.  So I wouldn't mind finding another round to get out of that issue)

Given the current ammo situation it's hard to find ammo to try.  I see Champions Choice has Eley Bullseye Pistol X and Eley Club in stock.  The button on the conversion is with Eley Tenex but that's beyond my commitment for winter league.    Impressively the 0.637" 50 yard test button was shot with Eley Target. (not tenex)

What ammo has worked well for your FGW Marvel conversions?  If I'm going to search for new ammo, I would like to try what others have had success with.

Last edited by JimTMich on 10/28/2021, 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : looked at test button)

JimTMich

Back to top Go down

Ammunition selection for FGW Marvel  Empty Re: Ammunition selection for FGW Marvel

Post by chiz1180 10/28/2021, 11:25 am

I have an older marvel but also have a modern production barrel that I have an irons rib on. In my experience, neither barrel has been picky on ammo that will function. I have had good luck with Aguila, Geco semi-auto, CCI, and federal. I probably have also shot some sk and eley as well, though not sure which flavors.

Somethings that I have found helpful with conversions in general, keep the chamber, breach face, and bolt face clean.
chiz1180
chiz1180

JimTMich likes this post

Back to top Go down

Ammunition selection for FGW Marvel  Empty Re: Ammunition selection for FGW Marvel

Post by Dcforman 10/28/2021, 1:01 pm

I have a new Marvel, and it has run quite reliably on SK Pistol Match and Pistol Match Special. Also on the old CMP Eley. No extraction/chambering issues with CCI, other than a couple duds.

Dave

EDIT: I should mention I have a steel slide Marvel.

Dcforman

JimTMich likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis 10/28/2021, 2:50 pm

I have an older Marvel that runs fine on CCI SV and the bulk pack Eley that CMP was selling until last fall.  You say your problem is FTF - is that failure to fire or failure to feed?  I'm reading as feeding so try cleaning off the lube on the bullets.  You can rub them on a rag and that should work.  I have read others using a chemical too (Mineral spirits maybe??) with the rag and that cleans the excess lube off. 
It's not exactly the same but I came into a qty of old .45 cal Star Bullets recently that have the black plastic like lube on them and it gave me fits for feeding.  I had 3 alibis in one 900.  Before the next match I shot, I wiped down everyone of the bullets before I put them in my ammo box and didn't have one failure during that entire 2700.

Good Luck.
John

John Dervis

JimTMich likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 10/28/2021, 3:26 pm

AGULIA SUPER EXTRA SV, PMC, CENTER X. SEE IF YOU CAN BORROW A GSG MAGAZINE. I FOUND THE POLY MAGS CASED MALFUNCTIONS. SWITCHED TO GSG MAGS WITH NO PROBLEMS.
THE AGULIA SE SV , THOUGH SV HAD A SLIGHT BUT NOTICEABLE INCREASE IN RECOIL AND BARK WORKS WELL.
I TOOK A CHANCE AND BOUGHT 2 CASES WHEN IT WAS $189 PER CASE DELIVERED. WORTH EVERY PENNY. JP

JIMPGOV

JimTMich likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 10/28/2021, 4:11 pm

I also use GSG mags exclusively in my Marvel. My Nelson likes basically any poly mag, including the cheap Brownells ones. But the Marvel is happiest with the GSG's.

Dave

Dcforman

JimTMich and Motophotog7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down