Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NRA Classification Clarification Question

5 posters

Go down

NRA Classification Clarification Question Empty NRA Classification Clarification Question

Post by Jwhelan939 Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:57 pm

Evening all. I just wanted to check that I was understanding the rules correctly. 

A new shooter will not gain classification until they have 360 shots. So if they shoot 2 2700s their initial classification will be the average of those 540 shots? Let's say they earn a classification of marksman. If they shoot master scores in their very next 2700 will they be reclassified as a Master? Or does a new ranking always have to come from an average of atleast 360 shots?

Just making sure I have it down. Thank you!

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

NRA Classification Clarification Question Empty Re: NRA Classification Clarification Question

Post by Wobbley Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:19 pm

It’s a “rolling average”.  Once a series of shots are used for your classification, they get archived and are no longer used.  It is, however, not automatic.  So if you shot a 2700 every weekend, you might not get reclassified after every second 2700 .  They do run reclassifications more often before the Nationals so you can get a surprise in the mail before you travel.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Jwhelan939 and Avalanche like this post

Back to top Go down

NRA Classification Clarification Question Empty Re: NRA Classification Clarification Question

Post by CR10X Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:05 am

To be a little more specific, its a "rolling average" but based on the scores reported for each tournament over a minimum of 360 shots.  

If a shooter shoots the .22 Aggregate and Centerfire Aggregate in a 2700 tournament, then they only have 180 shots in the database. The SR1 report would then show the total score over 180 shots for that record.  If the competitor only shot the .22 Aggregate in the next tournament, then the report is that score over 90 shots and they would not reach the 360 shot level for potential recalculation / reclassification.  

So the database carries both the scores and number of shots for that score for each competitor by tournament (no matter what the the total tournament shots would have been).  And to make things more complicated, if the tournament does not report the results in a timely manner, then the scores for a later tournament might get posted before the earlier tournament (date wise).  That's what creates one of the issues they have to deal with when running classification calculations.  

So, just remember to keep an eye on your scores / number of shots for each tournament.  Its probably a good idea to see what's actually been reported and in the data base.  You can also see your results that were posted for you on the NRA website.  Once you register on the NRA website, 

https://competitor.nra.org/

you can find your activity on the website. 

Then if you have any issues, it would be a good idea to drop an email to the nice people at the NRA stats office or the tournament director. 

CR

Last edited by CR10X on Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:16 am; edited 4 times in total

CR10X

farmboy and Jwhelan939 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:10 am

Thank you!

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:07 am

Two things:

Does the Temporary Score Record Book still exist, or that no one knows what it is, or that no one uses it anymore?

Does the other classification rule no longer exist?

Considering, as example pistol only, one is only "unclassified", if they have no other NRA Pistol Classification in any pistol discipline. If you have an NRA discipline in any pistol discipline then that is your classification until you receive an NRA classification in the specific discipline that you are starting new. One is unclassified, if they have never fired in any NRA shooting competition at all, using a pistol. Let's not commingle rifle with pistol regarding these topics. 

Temporary Classification Score record book. One can only shoot "unclassified" or "unclassified master" one time. After one has fired any shots for record in a sanctioned or registered match, then they have a "temporary classification" based on their score average from that match. That being determined by the number of shots fired and their score earned. The percentage of points earned relative to possible points establishes their temporary classification until such time that their moving average changes with the next match points, or they receive a classification card from NRA. It is the competitor's duty to keep scores recorded in the Temporary Classification book and show to match director if asked, until such time that a classification card is received by the competitor.

Perhaps, I am just old and this has all changed. My guess is, that it still exists, just unfollowed procedures. My guess is that if a brand new shooter signed up for a first time match and asked the MD for an NRA Temporary Score Record Book, they may get the deer in the headlights look. Heck, if the MD asked the NRA to send them copies of the NRA Temporary Score Record Book, the MD make get the deer in the head lights look from the NRA.

Any old timers out there? If I wrong on all of this, please jump in.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:06 pm

The rule book is your friend:

19.14 Score Record Book is the section.  In fact, although it is not as simple as asking something on the forum, the whole rule book answers a lot of questions in an authoritative way.  And, that's not all - It's Free!  There may still be clarification opportunities, but the book is a good place to start.  I recommend it for all competitors.  Also take note, that some rules change.  Be sure to keep up with frequent checks for changes.

BTW, "Sec.19. National Pistol Classifications," has all kinds of classification info, such as assigned classification, as mentioned.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:26 pm

Ed Hall wrote:The rule book is your friend:

19.14 Score Record Book is the section.  In fact, although it is not as simple as asking something on the forum, the whole rule book answers a lot of questions in an authoritative way.  And, that's not all - It's Free!  There may still be clarification opportunities, but the book is a good place to start.  I recommend it for all competitors.  Also take note, that some rules change.  Be sure to keep up with frequent checks for changes.

BTW, "Sec.19. National Pistol Classifications," has all kinds of classification info, such as assigned classification, as mentioned.

I did look in the book before posting. I was looking at 19.16. My main point of confusion was if classification was based off of 360 shots every time, or just the first time. Thank you for the help though.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:18 pm

Jwhelan939 wrote:I did look in the book before posting. I was looking at 19.16. My main point of confusion was if classification was based off of 360 shots every time, or just the first time. Thank you for the help though.
Sorry about the way it came across.  I was really responding to Allgoodhits on his thoughts per assigned classifications and temporary score book.  And just as a general item for all.  I was kind of trying to cover your OP with the mention of "clarification opportunities."  I must agree that a lot of newer shooters come to our match having fired a previous one, in which they received no Score Record Book, because they didn't know of such a thing, which is in agreement with Allgoodhits' suggested observations.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Richard Ashmore, Jwhelan939, Allgoodhits and lakemurrayman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down