Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you need to crimp wadcutter bullets when reloading?

+13
RodJ
willnewton
Star loader
1911a145
rkittine
bruce martindale
desben
STEVE SAMELAK
Wobbley
james r chapman
Jon Eulette
John Dervis
docderm
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do you need to crimp wadcutter bullets when reloading? - Page 2 Empty Do you need to crimp wadcutter bullets when reloading?

Post by docderm Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

[ltr]Post[/ltr]
 by 
[ltr]DocDerm[/ltr]
 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:58 pm
Hi, all
I would appreciate your input on the above question. 32 Smith and Wesson as well as 38 special.

Some folks on the Internet seem to argue that there is sufficient neck tension from just pressing the word cutter into the mouth of the case to hold the wadcutter bullet immobile.

Others caution that crimping a wadcutter bullet can put excess pressure on the cartridge case leading to bulging of the case.

What can go wrong if there is no crimp or if the crimp is insufficient? These rounds are going to be used in a Pardini HP and a Smith & Wesson model 52.

What is best practice?

Thanks

docderm

Back to top Go down

Do you need to crimp wadcutter bullets when reloading? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you need to crimp wadcutter bullets when reloading?

Post by mustachio Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:27 pm

This is the crimp I use on my HBWC for my 52
Do you need to crimp wadcutter bullets when reloading? - Page 2 Uh07f7z
mustachio
mustachio

james r chapman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Do you need to crimp wadcutter bullets when reloading? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you need to crimp wadcutter bullets when reloading?

Post by oldsalt444 Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:28 am

Yes, a crimp is needed - period.  Ensures consistent ignition and velocities which leads to better accuracy.  Some use a roll crimp which is typical in 38 Spl dies.  All well and good.
In my case, I have a 52 with a Clark barrel 1:10 twist.  I switched to a taper crimp die since this barrel headspaces off the case mouth, not the rim.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2