Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swaging Primer pockets on SP 45 ACP Brass

+8
john bickar
8eightring
SteveT
james r chapman
DA/SA
SmokinNJokin
Wobbley
Axehandle
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Swaging Primer pockets on SP 45 ACP Brass Empty Swaging Primer pockets on SP 45 ACP Brass

Post by Axehandle 1/9/2022, 10:29 pm

Using my Dillon swaging tool. I see vertical mounts for this thing. You guys like one better that the other?
www.dillonprecision.com/super-swage-600_8_8_25263.html
This one doubles the cost of the tool but looks pretty good...
www.ebay.com/itm/165157736304

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Swaging Primer pockets on SP 45 ACP Brass Empty Re: Swaging Primer pockets on SP 45 ACP Brass

Post by Wobbley 1/9/2022, 10:55 pm

I don’t think ANY of my SP 45 brass has crimped or grossly undersize primer pockets.  So why are you swaging?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Swaging Primer pockets on SP 45 ACP Brass Empty Re: Swaging Primer pockets on SP 45 ACP Brass

Post by SmokinNJokin 1/9/2022, 11:39 pm

I have run a lot of brass through one, i mounted it to a pc of plywood so handle can work through entire range of motion, then rigged rubber bands to flip the arm up, can blast through rifle brass pretty rapidly. Can show you if you are interested in making one.

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 1/10/2022, 5:15 am

Wobbley wrote:I don’t think ANY of my SP 45 brass has crimped or grossly undersize primer pockets.  So why are you swaging?
Perhaps he has a load of ICC head stamp crimped small primer brass.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 1/10/2022, 5:16 am

I stopped using WWII brass, several wars ago!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 1/10/2022, 8:20 am

All of this is my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

That vertical mount looks like a solution in search of a problem. It looks nicely made and if you had to swage cases all the time in a smaller shop it might be worth it, but it's not necessary and I'm not sure a vertical orientation would be any better than horizontal, other than taking up less bench space.

You only need to swage brass once, so I don't need it to be out on the bench all the time. Mine is mounted to a piece of 2x4 that gets clamped to the bench when I need it. It has to be mounted at the end of a board or bench because the handle rotates down below the mounting line. That's my only complaint about the Dillon Super Swage. I only use it for rifle cases.

Most 45 brass is not crimped. Are you sure about what you've got? Is the number of cases worth the cost and effort?

I recommend the Ballistic Tools Primer Pocket Swage Gage. At first I was swaging too much. I then adjusted to just barely let the Go gage fit and it is working better now.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 1/10/2022, 8:41 am

I've got a bunch.

Swaging Primer pockets on SP 45 ACP Brass PrBJmizl
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring 1/10/2022, 12:51 pm

I used a lot of TZZ 45 when I was in the military. A good amount of it had tight primer pockets.
8eightring
8eightring

chiz1180 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 1/10/2022, 3:00 pm

FWIW the years I was issued brown box hardball (1978-1995) it ALL had crimped primers.  White box hardball (Match) did not.  Reloaded a bit those years.  Just culled brown box hardball brass.   These days my 45 loading is done on a Dillon 1050.  It swages primer pockets.  Now I want to load small primer 45 ACP on a Dillon SDB.  For some reason I was thinking mine were crimped.  Just went to the loading bench, punched out a dozen primers and verify they are NOT.  Doesn't matter, I still want to vertical mount the Dillon swage too I've owned 30 years.  Just looks like a good idea to me.   Of course I've only been doing this since '74 and owned and used the Dillon swage tool since '92.   I'll admit I'm here to learn... Smile

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 1/10/2022, 4:33 pm

Axehandle wrote:FWIW the years I was issued brown box hardball (1978-1995) it ALL had crimped primers.  White box hardball (Match) did not.  Reloaded a bit those years.  Just culled brown box hardball brass.   These days my 45 loading is done on a Dillon 1050.  It swages primer pockets.  Now I want to load small primer 45 ACP on a Dillon SDB.  For some reason I was thinking mine were crimped.  Just went to the loading bench, punched out a dozen primers and verify they are NOT.  Doesn't matter, I still want to vertical mount the Dillon swage too I've owned 30 years.  Just looks like a good idea to me.   Of course I've only been doing this since '74 and owned and used the Dillon swage tool since '92.   I'll admit I'm here to learn... Smile

I have the Dillon Super Swage and I will admit that the "Speedy Swage Mount" doesn't look like something that I need, but it does look like something that I didn't realize I wanted until you posted the link Laughing
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 1/10/2022, 4:54 pm

Facilitator is the proper term. lol!

Axehandle

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 1/10/2022, 6:28 pm

addiction enabler
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 1/10/2022, 7:41 pm

Another shiny thing to explain to my wife.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Bubba Blaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 1/10/2022, 10:07 pm

Somewhat related. For my limited swaging needs, I currently have an rcbs die solution in a single stage press. What benefit does the Dillon tool (and by extension linked gizmo) have?
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 1/10/2022, 10:17 pm

Speed
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 1/11/2022, 11:06 am

chiz1180 wrote:Somewhat related. For my limited swaging needs, I currently have an rcbs die solution in a single stage press. What benefit does the Dillon tool (and by extension  linked gizmo) have?

I seem to remember (don't quote me on this) trying the RCBS primer pocket swager and I recall that I was not able to get the level of adjustment needed to fully swage the primer pocket (I think it didn't go deep enough). The Dillon Super Swage is more adjustable. This was on .223 brass.

I'm not trying to sell you a gizmo you don't need, unlike some people on this forum Laughing
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 1/11/2022, 11:43 am

john bickar wrote:
chiz1180 wrote:Somewhat related. For my limited swaging needs, I currently have an rcbs die solution in a single stage press. What benefit does the Dillon tool (and by extension  linked gizmo) have?

I seem to remember (don't quote me on this) trying the RCBS primer pocket swager and I recall that I was not able to get the level of adjustment needed to fully swage the primer pocket (I think it didn't go deep enough). The Dillon Super Swage is more adjustable. This was on .223 brass.

I'm not trying to sell you a gizmo you don't need, unlike some people on this forum Laughing
Thanks for the comparison, I could see the Dillion tool having more adjustment and being far more beneficial for rifle.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring 1/11/2022, 9:47 pm

chiz1180 wrote:
john bickar wrote:

Thanks for the comparison, I could see the Dillion tool having more adjustment and being far more beneficial for rifle.
Hi Chris, I have used the RCBS swage in a single stage press also. It works fine on 45ACP and 9MM brass although I think somewhat slower than the the Dillon swage. I am retired and old so I don't get in a hurry.
8eightring
8eightring

chiz1180 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 2/2/2022, 3:53 pm

Ordered the Speedy Swage Mount   to vertical mount the Dillon Super Swage. Mine should be here Monday.  Captured the Ebay pictures but I'll wait until I can post my own.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 2/3/2022, 10:52 am

Axehandle wrote:Ordered the Speedy Swage Mount to vertical mount the Dillon Super Swage. Mine should be here Monday.  Captured the Ebay pictures but I'll wait until I can post my own.

Interested to hear how it works out, especially how sturdy of a mount you need for the Speedy Swage. I usually mount the Super Swage on a less sturdy surface than some of my other presses/devices.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 2/3/2022, 4:42 pm

For the record I mount my loading tools (RCBS Rockchucker, Redding Ultramag, Dillon 550, SDB) on appropriate lengths of 2x12.  I then C clamp the tool to the bench where I want it to be.  My expectation is that I will do the Speedy Swage Mount the same way.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 2/3/2022, 6:41 pm

Axehandle wrote:For the record I mount my loading tools (RCBS Rockchucker, Redding Ultramag, Dillon 550, SDB) on appropriate lengths of 2x12.  I then C clamp the tool to the bench where I want it to be.  My expectation is that I will do the Speedy Swage Mount the same way.

I built the NRMA Reloading Bench, which is about as solid as one could wish. I do have some reloading tools (including the Dillon Super Swage) set up on other, less-sturdy, platforms, which is why I ask.

I would build another NRMA Reloading Bench, but I do value things like "staying married" and "what my kid will need to deal with when I die" Laughing
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 2/3/2022, 8:37 pm

That is some fancy reloading bench!  Me?  I run a braced 2x12 the length of my 20 foot deep shop.  Clamped on the 2x12 are 5 Dillon 550s, 3 Dillon SDBs, a RCBS Rockchucker and.... The picture below is 4 of the 8 on the 2x12.  You can see they are each on a separate piece of 2x12.   The Dillon 1050 is on the other side of the shop. 
Swaging Primer pockets on SP 45 ACP Brass R3qtrNa

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich/WIS 2/4/2022, 7:39 am

Wonder why it was crimped, only 45 SP brass I am familiar with if FC and Blazer, neither of which are crimped.

Rich/WIS

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 2/16/2022, 4:57 am

Mount arrived without the all the hardware.  Contacted the source and he immediately supplied what I needed.  Haven't mounted it yet but can speak to the robustness and overall quality of the mount.  Dang thing looks as good as the pictures.
Dillon Super Swage 600 custom Speedy Mount assembly directions - Bing video

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next