Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

45 acp small primer brass - Fr&@>*¥?!!

+15
hengehold
weber1b
Dcforman
8eightring
troystaten
L. Boscoe
Slamfire
Axehandle
Wobbley
SingleActionAndrew
Multiracer
wascanapistol
shanneba
DA/SA
RodJ
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

45 acp small primer brass - Fr&@>*¥?!!  Empty 45 acp small primer brass - Fr&@>*¥?!!

Post by RodJ Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:50 pm

While loading today I ran across a small infestation of Federal 45 brass with small pistol primer pockets in my mixed brass… while running a Star reloader... Ratzafratzen!! 

Are other manufacturers putting out SP brass? 

Who came up with the idea to change primer sizes?  I want a NAME and lat/lon for his location. 
Mad

RodJ

Back to top Go down

45 acp small primer brass - Fr&@>*¥?!!  Empty Re: 45 acp small primer brass - Fr&@>*¥?!!

Post by DA/SA Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:46 pm

I've seen Federal, Blazer, ICC and one I believe one other that I can't think of.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

45 acp small primer brass - Fr&@>*¥?!!  Empty Re: 45 acp small primer brass - Fr&@>*¥?!!

Post by shanneba Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:30 pm

Winchester made some with a head stamp including NT for NonToxic or aka lead free.

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by wascanapistol Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:42 pm

I have some Speer.

wascanapistol

R*P*DR* and Multiracer like this post

Back to top Go down

45 acp small primer brass - Fr&@>*¥?!!  Empty Small primer brass

Post by Multiracer Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:13 pm

Use it for a ball gun and leave it lay, let the next brass fairy cuss.

Multiracer

R*P*DR*, Pinetree and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:11 pm

Multiracer wrote:Use it for a ball gun and leave it lay, let the next brass fairy cuss.
Man that’s cold. lol

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:24 pm

Some day I'll have amassed enough for it to make sense to trade for fiocchi spp leadfree. I've seen the primers $0.20 shipped which if things continue at $0.12 for leaded primers I could justify the cost.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:07 am

Loaded about a year ago.  SPP brass, 4,3 Bulkseye, 180 Brazos.  Shoots fine!

45 acp small primer brass - Fr&@>*¥?!!  5a74d710
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

knightimac, Fotomaniac and MikeGibbs like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:14 am

Primary 45 ACP loader is a Dillon 1050.  Always threw SP cases out.  When primers got hard to find and expensive, I set up a Dillon SDB to load small primer 45 ACP and started saving small primer cases..  Has worked well so far.  Hauled 4000 small primers home just last week.  Just need to make a special effort to sort cases.  

FWIW 10mm cases run small AND Large too..

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:21 am

Sounds like SP pockets are an STD. Don’t pick up range brass without protection. Thanks everyone.

RodJ

john bickar likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:18 pm

RodJ wrote:While loading today I ran across a small infestation of Federal 45 brass with small pistol primer pockets in my mixed brass… while running a Star reloader... Ratzafratzen!! 

Are other manufacturers putting out SP brass? 

Who came up with the idea to change primer sizes?  I want a NAME and lat/lon for his location. 
Mad

Small primer brass is a real hazard to reloaders using progressive machines. I have read, and heard of a number of accounts of reloading machines blowing up when large pistol primers explode when seated into the primer pocket of small primer brass.

these pictures are not due to large pistol primer/small pistol brass, but they are instructive of what can happen when a pistol primer explodes.

45 acp small primer brass - Fr&@>*¥?!!  8MozVI4

45 acp small primer brass - Fr&@>*¥?!!  RB2czqd

I wish the advice of being diligent would be enough to protect reloaders, but small primer brass will creep into your collection. I do not shoot small primer brass and large primer on the same day, however, after collecting my fired large primer brass at the range, tumbling it, and loading it, I found a small primer 45 ACP above the shellplate of my Dillion 550B. It was not my case, so I am sure that under the tables, chairs, in the grass, was a like new Blazer small primer 45 ACP case that someone else fired, and since it did not look different from my brass, it ended up going home with me.

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:12 pm

Let’s see. On one hand, a bottle of tequila, a wild night across the border, and two weeks of painful urination. 

On the other hand, a handful of “free” range pickups from a helpful shooting buddy, 100 overpriced large pistol primers, poopy pants and a fair amount of drywall work ( if you’re lucky)…

Yeah, I’ll pick door number 1.

Glad I wear both eye and ear protection.  Maybe I should add an eod suit and a pack of astronaut diapers.

RodJ

hengehold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:05 pm

Back when Covid was in full swing, I bought factory loads with abandon, who ever had them in 45acp.  I wound up with a collection of small primer brass, which go into a separate box in case i will ever load sp 45.  My experience with the 550B is that it will not load a LP into SP brass, when the primer push is initiated, very strong resistance is felt.  In my case, if it indeed possible to jam an LP into SP
brass, I was fortunate in not doing it, although I don't see how it can be done on the 550B

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:29 pm

I always try to screen them out but they do seem to sneak in at times.  I have seen them by RWS as well.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by 8eightring Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:12 pm

L. Boscoe wrote:Back when Covid was in full swing, I bought factory loads with abandon, who ever had them in 45acp.  I wound up with a collection of small primer brass, which go into a separate box in case i will ever load sp 45.  My experience with the 550B is that it will not load a LP into SP brass, when the primer push is initiated, very strong resistance is felt.  In my case, if it indeed possible to jam an LP into SP
brass, I was fortunate in not doing it, although I don't see how it can be done on the 550B
I had a SPP brass sneak into my Dillon 650. The extra hard resistance to primer seating was completely lost on me until the primer detonated. Same thing happened to me on a Dillon 1050. The 1050 gives less warning because the primer seats as an empty is being resized at the same time as priming. I hate to have to check each and every empty that goes in the case feeder.
8eightring
8eightring

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:54 pm

I am diligent about picking up only my own brass. I buy 1000 new starline every 2-3 years, and reload it until it splits. Costs me a couple hundred bucks every few years, but the consistency, not having to worry about small primer brass, not worrying about the glock bulge, etc. makes it worth it.

Dave

Dcforman

8eightring and Pinetree like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:45 pm

Some one once gave me 500 small primer cases which I loaded 230 FMJ into for when I am shooting in a field or something like that (non Bullseye). I also intend to use them whenever I shoot IDPA so the A-holes who scurry around and pick up everyone else's brass can pick them up too.

weber1b

8eightring, troystaten and Arthur like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:32 am

I've made a habit of ALWAYS placing my 45 brass in a l00 round case for a good visual inspection of the primers before going into the brass hopper.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:23 am

Axehandle wrote:I've made a habit of ALWAYS placing my 45 brass in a l00 round case for a good visual inspection of the primers before going into the brass hopper.
That’s not a bad idea at all. An extra minute or two per hundred isn’t a lot of time in the grand scheme of things.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:53 am

I mark all my brass after loading. Any brass that comes into my cleaning cycle (which starts by decapping each case with a harvey hand de priming tool) that isn't marked as mine, I lightly hand ream the primer pocket. This makes sure not only that it'll prime easily on the press but also the large primer reamer won't fit in a small pistol primer case, so those get separated. Those inspected, decapped cases go mouth-down into ammo trays so I can then check headstamps and make sure no +P or 460 Rowland cases are present (+P has less case capacity and 460R are too long to chamber). Then the exclusively large pistol primer cases go into the ultrasonic.
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:34 pm

I process my 45 brass as a separate run through.  I use a 1050 with a Mark 7 Autodrive and a small primer will stop the machine at the torque settings I use. So it’s easy to segregate.  The swaging step is where it’s found.  I use the swage as a primer pocket check.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

MikeGibbs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:24 am

New pistol shooter here. I started reloading for pistol about 1.5 yrs ago and the idea of 45acp with SPP seemed like an obvious way to go. I am quite surprised that it has not become the standard for BE shooters. It simplifies the components needed. Can use SPP for anything that I may need for bullseye.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get my hands on enough SPP brass at the time so settled on the large primer brass. Is there some functional reason that SPP brass is not more popular?
-TH

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:02 am

A hundred years of standard practice.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:18 am

While I like the idea of only having to buy one size of primers I have so much large pistol primer 45acp brass it would be a pretty big expense to switch so unless I got rid of all the existing brass and switched to small pistol primer brass it would not be worth the effort.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:12 pm

Large pistol primers are biggerer. 45acp is biggerer. It’s just natural that 45 uses big primers.

RodJ

SingleActionAndrew likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next