Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Range Box re-think?

+4
John Dervis
Sa-tevp
troystaten
Russ OR
8 posters

Go down

Range Box re-think? Empty Range Box re-think?

Post by Russ OR Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:11 pm

Is carrying our Bullseye pistols in "finger clamps" the ideal way? - More than once my range box has tipped over in car trunk- a couple times dis-lodging the pistol(s) from the clamps.
Consider a Range Box designed to do/carry EVERYTHING except the pistols-inc'g spotter mtd on lid.  - - Multiple pistols carry separately in a secure set-up. 

I have a small home-made range box like above - used it my 1st 4 years of BE; It does carry 1 pistol, in a Doskocil box, for 1 pistol days at the range. I use it for 22 indoor shooting.

2¢ -- Russ

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Range Box re-think? Empty Re: Range Box re-think?

Post by troystaten Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:27 pm

I have a Strong box case and for a while I took the finger clamps out and just carried the pistols in rugs inside the box.  I just switched back just because it seemed like a good idea.  If you are worried about the box and guns getting bounced and banged around I would suggest putting them in rugs and taking the finger clamps out.

troystaten

Bubba Blaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:28 pm

I liked rvlvrlvr's idea of a Gun Ho case: take out the fingers and use MidwayUSA gun rugs. I found a piece of wood dropped in the back of the tray behind the upper siderails kept the tray from sliding out.

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5109-how-do-you-use-your-pachmayr-type-gun-cases#38752  (Check out his stickers too.)

I also have a Strong Box case I took the fingers out of and used a Hyskore 6 Gun Pistol Rack cut down to 4 to hold pistols more securely. I run a strap over all the pistols to keep them in place. The downside is the rack can't fit anatomical grips.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:07 pm

I never really liked the finger style of clamp for exactly the same reason.  The guns weren’t all that secure and from time to time they would come loose in transit. I made an entirely new tray with 4 individual stalls that are padded.  The guns rest in place at a downward angle with the front half of the gun inside the stall and the grip portion easily accessible.  The muzzles are all pointed down range.  The only negative I have found was that the box went from a 5 gun to a 4 gun since I made the slots wide enough to accommodate scoped guns (my first prototype had the slots too close so the scope mounts hit each other). This should work for anatomical grips too but since I don’t use those, I can’t prove it.  One more modification was a simple tether so the drawer will extend but not fall out. I used some short nylon strapping which has proved to be very durable for 10 years or so now.  

I’m not too good at posting pictures but I’ll give it a shot to give you an idea of how I did it. 

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:08 pm

Pictures of the drawer. 

Range Box re-think? Everno20

Range Box re-think? Everno18

Last edited by John Dervis on Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed the pictures)

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:29 pm

Some ditch the tray and replace it with several drawers, each holding two guns.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:11 pm

I think the finger clamps were designed for Revolvers, When I was shooting matches like Police L where revolver was required and .22 was added the clamps held revolvers well and did a good job with my K.38 and K.22. As pistol type requirement was relaxed and semi-autos were allowed first with.22 the clamps worked well with .22 like the High Standard that had somewhat the same round barrel. But when I started using the 1911 like .38 National Match and the S&W 52 the finger clamps did not hold well. I did have a box that had wooden fingers that the opening were somewhat rectangular rather than round, it did hold the rectangular frame like pistols much better. The top of the opening when closed on the pistol was smaller than the width of the pistol and didn't allow the pistol to be removed unless the clamp screw knob was loosened. On other clamp fingers that had small oval like openings that the tops of the finger held the flat surface of the 1911 like pistols did not hold flat sided pistols well.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:37 am

I removed the fingers from my box and replaced them with modified foam pistol rack for a safe. Mine was from Hyscore but here is a similar one on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/Handgun-Cabinet-Accessories-Customized-Firearms/dp/B0872RTGL5/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2OEFLPAD0LUQY&keywords=hyscore+pistol+box&qid=1647865947&sprefix=hyscore+pistol+box%2Caps%2C59&sr=8-1

The picture of the final product is below. The foam rack holds my pistols securely and prevents them from bumping against each other.

Range Box re-think? Pistol10
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:23 am

I built my box and have the strong case type gun securing mechanism. For some stuff it works great, other stuff not so much. I use my gun box for the range stuff I need such as spotting scope, oil, screwdrivers, ECI, ect. I keep the guns in a pelican case or a backpack. I found this to work better for me.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down