Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Powder Measure

+3
PJL
Dr.Don
ShooterSteve
7 posters

Go down

Powder Measure Empty Powder Measure

Post by ShooterSteve 8/10/2013, 9:07 am

Has anyone had experience with the RCBS Little Dandy Powder Measure?  Pros and Cons?  I have used a Lyman 55 forever and when using Bullseye powder, the small flakes get in between the housing and tumbler making it sticky when operating the charge handle.   In my experience, it is the only powder that does this.  Also, when charging larger volumes of cases, I really have to keep an eye on the micrometer adjustments as it can drift.

The Little Dandy measure appeals to me as it has fixed capacity rotors.  This would seem ideal for repetitive loading using the same charges.  I know there are other powder alternatives, I have tried many.  Right now, I prefer to use Bullseye powder for my .45 ACP applications. 

Any comments from your experience with this measure and Bullseye powder would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Last edited by ShooterSteve on 8/10/2013, 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

ShooterSteve

Back to top Go down

Powder Measure Empty Re: Powder Measure

Post by Dr.Don 8/10/2013, 4:07 pm

I have a Little Dandy that I used extensively and with good/consistent results for several years before going the Dillon progressive route.  I found no negatives with it.  If you want a charge weight between two of the existing rotors you can dremel the bottom of a rotor cavity to "tune" the drop to whatever you want.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by ShooterSteve 8/10/2013, 8:58 pm

Thank you Dr.Don.

ShooterSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by PJL 8/11/2013, 4:44 pm

I've just started using one. Is a nice little unit to work with but I have had a problem with the rotor I purchased for Bullseye Powder. The rotor reports to be for 3.2 grains but throws 2.95 ... is extremely consistant though. Also the powder I have has some years on it, in fact was going to post to the guru's on the board what type of effect age, humidity, etc. of a powder has on a volume thrower. That could be more the issue, and if it is how do you account for it? I've been using the powder for years in my Dillion and have loaded at different times of the year and the loads are always good and consistant. That not withstanding though I do enjoy using the Powder Measure.

PJL

Back to top Go down

Powder Measure Empty Adjustable rotor

Post by SantaFe 2/20/2017, 6:30 pm

I found an adjustable rotor for the Lil Dandy that works very well.  Here's the contact info for the guy that makes them:

Bill White
2430 Forrestbrook Drive
Kannapolis, NC. 28083
704-608-4633

I believe he charged me $49 for it.  It's machined stainless and adjusts with a hex plug.  You adjust it then throw charges until you get what you want.  No fancy micrometer dial.
The rotors are machined from Stainless and very high quality.  He supplies the hex wrench to adjust it.
Paul

SantaFe

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor 2/20/2017, 7:09 pm

I have used them intermittently for decades.  A couple of downsides - drums are not cheap, are fixed in size and may vary slightly from the nominal chart.  One can get around all of these, depending on how handy you are.

You can: 
use different powders to vary the load e.g., WST or B'eye for a single drum.

change the volume delivered - the steel is very hard, but can be drilled with a carbide bit.  I used a masonry bit, which can increase diameter or depth.

make your own drums - I turned down some 13/16" drill rod (I am also cheap!).

add a handle to make use easier.  There are two drilled, threaded holes on the end.

All told, an easily adjustable measure like a Hornady is far more versatile - depends on your needs.  My first measure was a Lyman 55.  I hate it and never use it - want to buy one Wink?

Good luck!

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 2/21/2017, 2:06 am

I have a Little dandy powder measure and it works really well. Not as flexible as my Uniflow but it does work well. If you get one you can often find the rotors on EBay and save some money that way.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 2/21/2017, 8:52 am

I've got the 50 grain drum in my Uniflow and the throws are extremely repeatable with Titegroup, CFE and BE-86.  I cannot imagine the LD, with fixed drums, can beat the Uniflow if properly set up.  I tend to tinker so a fixed drum would be a disadvantage to me.  Just my 2 grains, er....cents.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by SantaFe 2/21/2017, 2:46 pm

Bigtrout wrote:I've got the 50 grain drum in my Uniflow and the throws are extremely repeatable with Titegroup, CFE and BE-86.  I cannot imagine the LD, with fixed drums, can beat the Uniflow if properly set up.  I tend to tinker so a fixed drum would be a disadvantage to me.  Just my 2 grains, er....cents.

So, did you consider the adjustable rotor suggested earlier?  I agree that the fixed rotors are a hassle because they don't match the specific grains you might want.  The Little Dandy is very useful for those that want to dispense directly into cases in a loading block by hand holding the powder measure.  Don't knock it if you haven't tried it......it works.

SantaFe

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 2/22/2017, 11:28 pm

Ditto with what SantaFe said, I don't use a progressive press so if the charge I want works with the Little Dandy is correct it is very efficient to put the cases in blocks and charge them all, I also have a uniflow and it works great but it is slightly more cumbersome.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down