Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommendation for barrel welder

5 posters

Go down

Recommendation for barrel welder Empty Recommendation for barrel welder

Post by faraim 6/1/2022, 9:28 am

I have a few "hobby" barrels that I'd like to use for practice fitting to a slide. Does anyone have a welder or gunsmith they could recommend for barrel hood welding? I'll admit that I  have no idea how expensive this might be. Perhaps I should just buy a Kart gunsmith fit barrel. Any comments would be appreciated.
faraim
faraim

Back to top Go down

Recommendation for barrel welder Empty Re: Recommendation for barrel welder

Post by mprince 6/1/2022, 11:06 am

One other possibility is to take the metal banding material that holds stuff to pallets for shipping, use shears to cut it to the approximate width you need and have it silver soldered to the hood, as well as the rear upper lug.  You can then practice filing that down to the proper dimensions.  

As an added bonus, I have been told by a very reliable military gunsmith that this used to be one of the ways to accurize military ball guns for competition.

If you do find someone for this, I would like to know as I have screwed up some expensive barrels that I have been saving.

mprince

Back to top Go down

Post by faraim 6/1/2022, 1:44 pm

Thanks for the idea. I have some steel shims that I bought years ago for scope mount bases that might work. If I find a welder, I'll be sure and post photos of his work.
faraim
faraim

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 6/1/2022, 5:58 pm

A micro tig or laser welder is who you want
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 6/1/2022, 8:29 pm

Small high quality welding jobs are expensive. A lot of people are around who 'can' do the job but, fewer that realistically should. A fair rate would be in the ball park of $100/hr (minimum) plus materials, minimum 1 hour labor.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 6/1/2022, 8:41 pm

Over the years I’ve had many gun parts ruined by Tig welders who claimed they were excellent welders.
Micro Laser Welding is incredible. No signs of heat transfer. Very expensive but worth it. Once you find a good welder, take really good care of him!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down