Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dedicated lower for conversion

+5
hengehold
WillH
chiz1180
NukeMMC
AndyLueck
9 posters

Go down

Dedicated lower for conversion Empty Dedicated lower for conversion

Post by AndyLueck 6/5/2022, 11:56 pm

I have been using my SRO as a lower for both 45 and my Advantage Arms 1911T conversion.  My initial thought on it was to keep the same trigger pull for both guns.  I thought I would be better at 45 if I had the same trigger for 22.  

I have not been in the habit of shooting 22 aside from matches.  My thought was that twice as many 45s are shot in a 2700.  So I gain twice the reward for my efforts.

As a result of this my 45 scores are consistently better than my 22 scores.  I am coming to realize that there is a muscle memory involved in shooting that doesn't just involve the trigger weight.  It also has to do with the weight of the pistol and the mechanics involved in the recoil.  Last winter I shot an air pistol league.  Because of that I think my 22 SF has gotten better.  But my TF/RF are lacking.  

My experience with AP leads me to believe that the guns are unto their own.  For those of you shooting a conversion, do you use a dedicated lower for your conversion?  Or swap them at matches?  If I go with a dedicated lower, what weight should I target for the trigger?  What is the requirement for EIC and for 2700s?

AndyLueck

Back to top Go down

Dedicated lower for conversion Empty Re: Dedicated lower for conversion

Post by NukeMMC 6/6/2022, 2:22 am

Minimum trigger weight for a 22 in NRA Precision Pistol is 2 lbs. CMP requires the same for its EIC or Match 22 pistols.
NukeMMC
NukeMMC

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 6/6/2022, 6:02 am

I have a few different conversions mostly on dedicated lowers, one I can switch back and forth between a 45 but I rarely do. The trigger weight in all of them are all between 2-3.5lbs. Try a few different pull weights and see what feels the best and go from there. Also something to consider, a good trigger job effectively negates differences in pull weight.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Sa-tevp likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WillH 6/6/2022, 6:35 am

I have dedicated lowers for 22 and 45.  Main reason for me was convenience.  Not having to do equipment change between 22 and CF stages makes me feel less rushed and more focused during a match.  I set the trigger pull on the 22 to be close to the 45 (3.5 lbs) so there is one less thing different during the transition.  KC roll trigger kits in both.  However, that probably boils down to personal preference so maybe try both lighter and heavier 22 pulls to see which is better overall for you.
WillH
WillH

Sa-tevp likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 6/6/2022, 6:44 am

I recently went through the same decision. Swap lowers or get a dedicated lower?

I decided to get a dedicated lower for the .22 conversion and had the gunsmith provide two separate springs depend on what weight trigger I want to shoot with. I had him make a 2 lb spring for the rimfire agg and a 4 lb trigger to match my service pistol. My plan is to shoot a 4 lb trigger in everything until I get distinguished with a service pistol then transition to the other equipment allowances such as lower trigger weights, red dot scope, etc.
-TH

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 6/6/2022, 10:48 am

AndyLueck wrote:

I have not been in the habit of shooting 22 aside from matches.  My thought was that twice as many 45s are shot in a 2700.  So I gain twice the reward for my efforts.

As a result of this my 45 scores are consistently better than my 22 scores.  I am coming to realize that there is a muscle memory involved in shooting that doesn't just involve the trigger weight.  It also has to do with the weight of the pistol and the mechanics involved in the recoil. 
The reason you need to shoot at least a third of most training sessions with the 22 is to refine your shot process with a.) better accuracy, and b.) much lower recoil that aggravates poor process.  That is why your training sessions should have 22 to start to determine if your process is ready for the increased recoil of the 45.  I always shoot at least 50 rounds with the 22 to get my groove going. Then I break out the 52 or a wadgun for further training.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

WSR32 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLueck 6/6/2022, 5:18 pm

NukeMMC wrote:Minimum trigger weight for a 22 in NRA Precision Pistol is 2 lbs.  CMP requires the same for its EIC or Match 22 pistols.

thanks

AndyLueck

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 6/19/2022, 7:30 am

I know a few High Masters that use the conversion with trigger weight 3.5 pounds. plus a few ounces to avoid weight disqualification. Others that have other type .22 also set the same. Being the conversion allows for the one gun method of shooting bullseye. The change in weight is not noticed so practice with any gun is about the same except recoil. Naturally everyone knows I'm related to one! Adam and I have talked about trigger weight in that some triggers that lift 3.5 pounds but not 1/4 pound more feel like they lift 5 pounds while others feel like 2 pounds! A bit exaggerated yes. The key is to get one that will lift legal weight yet feel lighter and break at a consistent weight. Legal weight means noting to the shooter other than meeting the requirements of the rules so as not to be disqualified. When shooting the actual weight that's required to release the Hammer is important and must be consistent. I set my trigger to release the hammer every time at +/- 1 ounce! Having a trigger that changes weight from shot to shot is not good!

Froneck

Steve B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 6/20/2022, 12:25 pm

I have a dedicated lower for my conversion, built by the same guy as the 45.  The triggers between the 2 are as close as possible to being identical in terms of roll and pull weight.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 6/20/2022, 1:50 pm

I have a 45 that is a complete and it's own gun, and I have a Nelson that rides on it's own dedicated frame. So two complete guns. My Nelson's trigger is set to about 2.25 pounds. My 45's trigger is just over 3.5 pounds. They are different animals and each requires training and focus to learn their nuances and how I need to approach the use of each gun.
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

james r chapman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down