Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gold Cup 9mm

+3
shanneba
Jon Eulette
Chemist3
7 posters

Go down

Gold Cup 9mm Empty Gold Cup 9mm

Post by Chemist3 Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:32 pm

I recently purchased a new Colt Gold Cup National Match.  I tried 4 different commercial loads, 3 at 115 gr. one at 124 gr. Precision was not what I expected.   While was not match ammo but at 25 yds hand held from rest no brand would group better than 4 in. 

Isse could of couse be me or the ammo. I shot my TOZ 35 same day and did OK so unless there was something about the Colt fit to me (and I do well with my series 70 Nat'l Match in 45ACP), it seems to be the ammo or pistol. 

Does anyone have experience with the 9mm Nat'l Match?  What has anyone found to be a good match 9mm ammo?

Thanks

Chemist3

Back to top Go down

Gold Cup 9mm Empty Re: Gold Cup 9mm

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:57 pm

Match fit barrel does the trick every time! 😳
Unfortunately the GC in stock form is less than desirable. Hopefully you’ll find something that shoots well. Just so you know, proper barrel job with cheap Federal 115 rn holds X at 25 yds.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

BE Mike, ric1911a1 and Dan Webb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Chemist3 Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:35 pm

Jon,

Thanks, my 45 acp did have a bit of work done on it so perhaps that's the difference.  Any suggestions on a smith to do the work or is this so standard that a locally recommend smith is probably OK?  I am past my prime shooting days, switched from NRA bullseye to Int'l when I was in Atlanta and Wolf Creek was operational.  Now shoot just at local weekly match in FL.

Chemist3

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:47 pm

I don't have a gold Cup 9mm but the Eley 9mm Minor 124 grain ammo has been more accurate in my Sig P320 AGX than Winchester or Remington 115 gr FMJ loads.
It is about 100 fps slower velocity than the Win or Remington loads. (Based on the Eley Minor power factor)

ELEY’s new competition 9mm minor power factor rounds

They have 115gr, 124gr and 147gr FMJ rounds available.
Currently only $22.80 / 50 at Killough Shooting Sports (only a few dollars more than Eley 10X 22 LR)

I have both the Eley Minor 147 gr and the Sig Sauer Match 9mm 147 grain ammo but haven't shot them yet.

9MM, 147GR, MATCH ELITE COMPETITION JHP

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by PacFltShooter Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:18 pm

My apologies if this constitutes thread drift, but my Springfield Armory Ronin 9mm out of the box will mostly hold the ten ring at 25 yards with the Federal 115 gr fmj. Surprised me too. Lots of fun to shoot. Haven’t shot it at 50 yet.
PacFltShooter
PacFltShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:08 pm

Chemist3 wrote:Jon,

Thanks, my 45 acp did have a bit of work done on it so perhaps that's the difference.  Any suggestions on a smith to do the work or is this so standard that a locally recommend smith is probably OK?  I am past my prime shooting days, switched from NRA bullseye to Int'l when I was in Atlanta and Wolf Creek was operational.  Now shoot just at local weekly match in FL.
Four names you might want to consider:
Jon, who responded up above has a wonderful reputation
Dave Salyer is my friend who built my 45 and did other work - again, a great reputation (and I think a short waiting list)
KC Crawford - he posts here often, and a lot of people recommend him.
Roddy Toyota - He built the High Standard Victor that I bought here in the forum.

You don't want a "regular gunsmith"; there are things that are done to make a Bullseye gun work at its best.
As Jon pointed out, a precision barrel is a must.

How soon do you want the gun by?  With big matches coming up, there might be a long waiting time.  

(I'm writing back and forth with Dave almost every day, so I can ask him for you if you send me your email.  I can probably find emails for Jon, KC, and Roddy, but you're already corresponding with Jon here - send him a PM.)

Oh, when you said you got a 4" group, what kind of rest did you use?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:44 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:...
Unfortunately the GC in stock form is less than desirable...

How did the gold cup accrue the street cred it has in the general shooting population?

Merick

PacFltShooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:46 am

Merick wrote:
Jon Eulette wrote:...
Unfortunately the GC in stock form is less than desirable...

How did the gold cup accrue the street cred it has in the general shooting population?
I'd recon that the people who gave "street cred" to the GC were judging accuracy distances fired in feet rather than yards, like bullseye shooters do.

Last edited by BE Mike on Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:51 am

Not that it matters, but long before I ever heard of this forum, or bullseye shooting, and I mostly used TheHighRoad forum, the Colt Gold Cup seemed to be up at the top of my list.  I found one, but after one look through the bore, I never bought it.  Yeah, it supposedly was the "best" from Colt, and I thought Colt was as good as it gets.  (If the bore was clean and shiny, I'd probably have bought it.......  It was at a small gun shop three blocks from my home.)

Now I understand better, and to not judge a product by the name, but "Colt Gold Cup" sounded like "the best" to me.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by PacFltShooter Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:01 pm

The Gold Cup is Colts way of trading on their older , pre war, National Match guns.  These were, for the time, decent , legitimate match guns.  As with all things early Gold Cups are better than the later models .
PacFltShooter
PacFltShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down