Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.32 SWL reloading with round nose vs. wad cutter

4 posters

Go down

.32 SWL reloading with round nose vs. wad cutter Empty .32 SWL reloading with round nose vs. wad cutter

Post by croesler 9/16/2022, 6:12 am

Working with Dave Wilson many of us have found very careful loading and weighing of .32 SWL (wadcutter) yields solid results at 50 yds.  I recently happened upon some old Remington round-nose lead ammo (factory) in.32 SW and .32 SWL with round-nose lead (proud of the brass, not buried like wadcutter).  The question arose, is the round-nose shape considerably different in its aerodynamic qualities vs. a wad-cutter shape at 50 yds?  

3 questions before I test to find out: 

1) Would a lead round nose .32 SWL single-loaded in a Pardini .32 SWL be dangerous to test? Obviously this round would not fit in the magazine and the bullet would be engaging the lands.  It likely would not even fit without pressing it into place. 
2) Would a lead round nose .32 SW (short) loaded in same gun be dangerous to test? Probably would fit in magazine and bullet would not engage the lands.
3) Would it be worth bothering?  I.e. Could either of the above show a noticeable difference in stability at 50 yds? 

It WOULD also be possible to load the round nose bullet down inside the SWL case similar to the wad-cutter if the round-nose made a significant difference.  In this case the slug would not touch the rim of the brass, and may require single loading.  The SW on the other hand is the same length as the wad-cutter, so it fits in the magazine and actually seems to load fine although I have not fired it.

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinion. Serious questions looking for knowledgeable answers, so please stay focused / resist temptation to write "leave the mouse gun at home".
croesler
croesler

Back to top Go down

.32 SWL reloading with round nose vs. wad cutter Empty Re: .32 SWL reloading with round nose vs. wad cutter

Post by toddcfii 9/16/2022, 7:44 am

As a point of reference- 38 special wad cutters are in general much more accurate than round nose so I suspect the wadcutter to be more accurate than the round nose in 32 and thus probably not worth the bother.
toddcfii
toddcfii

Back to top Go down

.32 SWL reloading with round nose vs. wad cutter Empty Re: .32 SWL reloading with round nose vs. wad cutter

Post by fc60 9/16/2022, 11:50 am

Greetings,

My concern would be the single loading practice. It would lead to more wear and tear on the extractor when the bolt is closed and the extractor has to force it's way over the rim.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by wascanapistol 9/16/2022, 12:37 pm

I'm doing some load development with .32 S&W Long in both my Walther GSP Expert and Manurhin MR32 Match revolver.

I'm using a 98gr hard cast lead SWC in the revolver that obviously won't chamber in the GSP. Results so far haven't been great; 2 inch groups at 20 yards out of a Ransom Rest with Lapua brass and 1.6 gr of N310.

Using my most accurate GSP load in the Manurhin produces much better results. 1/2 inch groups at 20 yards out of the Ransom with Lapua brass, 1.4 gr of N310 and a 98 gr Lapua hollow base WC.

I have several different .32 bullets I haven't tried yet.

More work to do.

wascanapistol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down