Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduction to Bullseye

+11
fc60
Sparky_D
Randy_D
SaraiEsq
shanneba
john bickar
JRV
BE Mike
DA/SA
Wobbley
RoyDean
15 posters

Go down

Introduction to Bullseye Empty Introduction to Bullseye

Post by RoyDean Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:59 pm

We had a club meeting today and one of the important topics was "how to attract new participants"?

I know that this is a pressing subject for all Bullseye clubs these days - aging membership, lack of new blood.

At our club there is a very active Public Range and at least a dozen new members come for the introductory "walk around" each week. Most of them probably see the very impressive and immaculate 40 lane Bullseye range with the 50yard target line and are totally daunted by the prospect of shooting handguns on our wonderful range (Good! No, bad - cause we will never attract new blood if they are scared to even step on to the range!). The "run and gun" section is hugely popular, hundreds of competitive shooters, a few of them come to the Bullseye range to sight in guns, use the Ransom Rest, etc., but they never dare/desire to come to a Bullseye event. I bet that this story is similar in so many other clubs across the country.

So, we want to create some full color leaflets to give out to incoming new members and to leave in a display at the Public Range. Something along the lines of the tourist attraction leaflets you find in Tourist Info Bureau's everywhere.

I am guessing that other clubs or organizations have already trodden this path before and so, rather than re-invent the wheel, I am hoping that some of you might be able to send me some examples of leaflets they might have or know of.

All advice and suggestions gratefully accepted.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Introduction to Bullseye Empty Re: Introduction to Bullseye

Post by Wobbley Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:34 am

Ever though of holding a Bullseye Bootcamp?  Stu Konefsky has been looking for a place to hold one in November….
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:33 am

Wobbley, the club has held many Bullseye clinics and suchlike in the past, but they have not proven useful in attracting new interest.

Getting the word out to existing, new and prospective members is our current objective. The club has about two thousand members, but only maybe 20 regular Bullseye shooters. Sad.

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:08 am

My club has over 1000 members and I get two to five shooters for a monthly Bullseye match. This is with only a 25 yard range shooting .22, which I would think would be less intimidating to new shooters than a normal 50/25 yard range.

We now live in a world where people want instant gratification and Bullseye isn't very good at offering that!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Larryb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:03 am

Over the years it seems to me that one-on-one is the best way to attract and keep new bullseye shooters.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:13 am

This carries over from another thread, but bullseye needs visibility on the platforms where people my age are exposed to competitions.

I can find (and pre-register for) USPSA, IDPA, PRS, and MultiGun matches near me using an interactive map on Practiscore.

To get information on bullseye matches, I have to navigate individual club websites and (hopefully) end up on the correct email list. I say “hopefully” because many gun club websites are filled with dead links, old results, and outdated contact information.

Bullseye also needs the governing organizations (NRA and CMP) to give a hoot about modern social media marketing. USPSA and IDPA have done a phenomenal job, coordinating with sponsoring manufacturers and shooters, and filling YouTube and Instagram with content about firearms safety, shooting technique, and finding matches. I’ve yet to see anything resembling those efforts from NRA, CMP, sponsors, or high-level competitors. The competition content posted now is limited and old with minimal production value.

Difficulty and costs (either time or money) are not barriers to entry. PRS and PRS22/NRL22 are expensive all-day sports, but they are fast-growing. A USPSA carry optics rig—the most common rig in the most common division (CZ Shadow 2 with Trijicon SRO)—costs as much or more than a decent starter .22 from Ruger or Browning and a used SARO. .22 Only keeps costs way, way down. Exposure and engagement are the big barriers.

JRV

John Dervis, straybrit, Dockokol, chopper, Fezzik68, RoyDean and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:22 am

JRV wrote:This carries over from another thread, but bullseye needs visibility on the platforms where people my age are exposed to competitions.  

I can find (and pre-register for) USPSA, IDPA, PRS, and MultiGun matches near me using an interactive map on Practiscore.

To get information on bullseye matches, I have to navigate individual club websites and (hopefully) end up on the correct email list.  I say “hopefully” because many gun club websites are filled with dead links, old results, and outdated contact information.

Bullseye also needs the governing organizations (NRA and CMP) to give a hoot about modern social media marketing.  USPSA and IDPA have done a phenomenal job, coordinating with sponsoring manufacturers and shooters, and filling YouTube and Instagram with content about firearms safety, shooting technique, and finding matches.  I’ve yet to see anything resembling those efforts from NRA, CMP, sponsors, or high-level competitors.  The competition content posted now is limited and old with minimal production value.  

Difficulty and costs (either time or money) are not barriers to entry.  PRS and PRS22/NRL22 are expensive all-day sports, but they are fast-growing.  A USPSA carry optics rig—the most common rig in the most common division (CZ Shadow 2 with Trijicon SRO)—costs as much or more than a decent starter .22 from Ruger or Browning and a used SARO.  .22 Only keeps costs way, way down.  Exposure and engagement are the big barriers.

Good points. I have been thinking about this a lot. One of the things that I think that our State and National associations can do, that would take limited effort, is to provide dedicated anonymous disposable forwarding email addresses for Match Directors. Also, NRA should stop requiring a mailing address for registering a match.

I run a lot of matches (league and 2700s); I run at least 26 matches per year. I'm happy to have actual or potential shooters email me directly about them, and I'm happy to set them up for success (ask Roy Dean). I'm happy to promote the matches here and on social media.

I have zero interest in posting my home address or my email address publicly on the Internet.

I recognize that California is a special beast (we're "just west of the United States"), but I don't need every anti-gun whats-their-face emailing me or knowing my home address.

So yeah, it's an "in-club." Sorry about that. I do what I can to promote the shooting sports, but I also need to protect myself and my family. (And yeah, I'm Internet-savvy enough to know that anyone can find out my email address and where I live, but I don't need to make it any easier for miscreants.)
john bickar
john bickar

CarpeXRing and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:35 am

The fact that the NRA maintains an updated list of bullseye (and other) matches by State, format, match director, and match director’s email—but chooses to make that list available only as a monthly PDF on a specific page of the SSUSA website—is sad.

The information is there. It’s just hard to find in the first instance and irrelevant/incomplete (it almost always omits the name, phone number, street address, and website of the shooting venue itself).

JRV

john bickar and Larryb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:31 am

The NRA could setup the competitions with a web site similar to the NRA Training site.
It includes contact and location information and a signup section.

It allows searching by Training type, state or Zip code.
Search for Courses | NRA Training (nrainstructors.org)

If the Competition part of the NRA could implement a similar site with search capabilites for all the types of Competitions (with a search list like Precision Pistol, EIC Rifle. shtotgun etc.)
with search capability it would be very useful. I emailed the NRA about doing that, but the reply was just to check the coming events page on SSUSA.

Another possibility is holding a NRA Day Event for Bullseye if the NRA Day program still exisits... Brownells was a Sponsor.
It doesn't seem the NRA Day web page link I found searching is still there but the "NRA Day Planning Guide" is still there - nra-day-planning-guide.pdf

NRA Day event themes are: 
• Safety and Firearm Education 
• Basic Shooting 
• Youth Hunter Education Challenge 
Competition 
• Youth Sportfest 
• Shotgun 
• 3 Gun Experience 
• Special Interest 

The Competition Event introduces all participants to the thrill and challenge of formal competitions. 
This type of event provides a setting for participants to learn how to compete in a specific shooting sport, what rules govern the sport, 
proper selection and use of equipment, and how to refine the skills and techniques needed for shooting competitions, tournaments and championships. 
Competition Events can be provided in any shooting discipline that is governed by a set of competition rules (e.g. conventional pistol, smallbore rifle or BB gun). 
To host a Competition Event, the club must determine the participant levels (beginner, intermediate, or advanced) and have a program for one or all levels.

shanneba

JRV likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:55 am

Several years ago (I say this a lot lately) I started a club bullseye pistol team. We started out just training together. More seasoned shooters would coach tyros. We ended up traveling to matches together and shooting team matches together. No matter the skill level, everyone was a member of the team. We bought shirts and caps and even had our own flag. It seemed to stir up a lot of interest and attract new shooters. Those who for one reason or another who didn't shoot on a team at any given match were support personnel, i.e. coaches, scorers, etc. They also shot in individual matches.
BE Mike
BE Mike

shanneba likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraiEsq Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:13 pm

I am a new shooter.  I love this sport already.  I got into shooting generally because I was tired of being afraid to do things.  I discovered Precision Pistol specifically because a friend was involved in it -- and when I stopped by Nationals everyone was absolutely warm and welcoming.  :-)

Two thoughts here.

NMCx3

It takes a full day to shoot a 2700.  The NMC can be shot three times in about 90 minutes, give or take.  I think it would be cool to have an introductory event where folks get to try the regular NMC (at 50 and 25 yards) with three different pistols -- a .22, any CF, and a .45.  That gives people a taste of what it is (and in three calibers!) without obligating them to a full day of shooting.  And, depending on the level of shooter it attracts, pistols could be provided.  (That's how I have been able to shoot in matches mostly -- loaned pistols.)  I have no idea how this could be organized or publicized.  

One idea that floated through my brain at 2 a.m. was having (for example) room for six (6) shooters (the number, not the pistol lol) on the line.  Two shooters would fire .22, two would fire any CF, and two would fire .45.  Go through the NMC for all six at the same time (the commands are the same, eh?), then have the shooters rotate to the next caliber and repeat; rotate, repeat.  Instead of needing six pistols of each caliber, you only need two.  A single coach/mentor/safety officer could shepherd each caliber (or the whole group if there aren't too many tyros on the line).  

My thought on including the 50 yard target is that 1) it provides a truer representation of the discipline; 2) it can be a challenge which will appeal to a certain kind of person; and 3) it makes the 25 yard distance seem close (just like the RF makes TF seem long).

Maybe this is a dumb idea.  Maybe it is totally unworkable.  I welcome feedback.

Lady Sure Shots & Literature

I went to this event at Range USA last month -- ladies only shooting with an optional class one Saturday morning a month before the range opens -- and there was a surprising amount of interest in competitive shooting.  In total there were 18-20 shooters; about 6-7 went through the 10 minute class (front sight alignment).  Of those in the class, three had questions about competitive shooting; others looked at me with interest when I started shooting one handed, etc. on the range.  I plan to take some kind of literature/brochures to the next event, because there is interest to be nurtured there.  Not sure what that will entail, but I am on the lookout for quality handouts ... or the raw information to make them.  It might also be worth putting together a quick presentation on competitive shooting in the future for such events.

There was another thought brewing in my brain, but work calls.
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

Jack H, shanneba, JRV and targetbarb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:23 pm

Just to get new shooters into the sport there is the NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program.

The CONVENTIONAL BULLSEYE PISTOL QUALIFICATION starts with just slow fire requirements for Pro-Marksman and Marksman and then adds Timed and Rapid fire for a Sharpshooter.
The entry level awards start at just 40 /100 points slow fire, then adds timed and rapid fire for Sharpshooter, and then shooting a full 300 for the Expert and Distinguished Expert  Qualifications.

Allows Indoor or Outdoor shooting and ranges from 25 feet to 50 yards using the approiate targets.

mqp-guide-book.pdf (nra.org)

Pistol Qualification
Defensive Pistol I Qualification
Defensive Pistol II Qualification
Conventional Bullseye Pistol Qualification
Air Pistol Qualification 

For the younger crowd, who may be instant gratification oriented,  there are Patches, pins and certificates available-

Qualification Awards - Qualification Awards (nrahq.org)

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Introduction to Bullseye Empty Response from a new shooter....sort of

Post by Randy_D Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:14 am

This is response to an old post.  It was said that finding matches is part of the problem and this is true for me but not the whole issue for most.  I have wanted to get back into bullseye for a long time, finding a match was a major issue, then the CMP said they would have the events at the Western Games, that got me interested again.  I sent an e-mail to one match in Phoenix a couple of years back looking for basic information but never received a reply, hardly inviting.  It was not until a fellow high power rifle shooter asked if I wanted to go to a match at Phoenix Rod and gun (we live in Tucson) that I got back in and fired my first 2700 in 42 years, the last being when I was in the Marines.  Did I do well?  Hardly but had fun and am hooked again, just wish there were some closer than 100 miles away but again finding them is the issue.  I really do think posting them on the CMP would help get the word out, one stop shopping for matches

Both High Power Rifle and Bullseye shooting are difficult to master and I guess not exciting enough.  Too equipment can be a challenge and new shooters need to be aware that you can start with minimal equipment and be aware of that.  Bullseye like HP most shooters will loan all they need, they just need to show up.  The CMP was a boon to HP Rifle with the Garand matches, it might be wise to have a similar event with pistol for new shooters to get their feet wet. Then too fewer and fewer are exposed to guns and the media definitely does not help in this regard but as in all things we do what we can, always be the ambassador, be friendly and helpful, a gruff curmudgeon is not the best foot forward.

Both HP Rifle and Bullseye are hanging on by a thread, the CMP has been instrumental into breathing life back into the corpse but then it leaves it up to us to help it along.

On the subject I also want to tip my hat to Roy Dean for offering to loan one of his pistols to me to shoot in this coming Western Games match, did not know me one iota but went the distance to make every effort so I could shoot, thank you sir!  My RRA came in and I will be at the games both Rifle and pistol and look forward to seeing you on the line.

Randy

Randy_D

Jack H, ermakevin, onlylead, TonyH, RoyDean, RodJ, JRV and targetbarb like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky_D Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:42 pm

I know the original post was from last year, but I recently joined and wanted to share my experience on how I was "recruited" to join Bullseye Shooting.

I got into Bullseye Shooting through a free class my club (private range) put on.
It was titled "Advanced Pistol Marksmanship" and included many fundamentals in the classroom and an actual 25 Yard Slow Fire, Timed, and Rapid Relay on the range, complete with scoring.

I got hooked and signed up for the Spring League that day!

We actually had a good percentage of the class join the Spring League and a few of us continued into the Summer League.

Until that initial class, I had no idea how to get involved and always thought I wasn't "good enough" to compete.
Boy was I wrong! All the established shooters were welcoming and helped me a great deal. I went from mid-200's to low 400' in that one league!

Just a thought to consider offering classes to help introduce people who, like me, had no idea how to even get started.

Sparky_D

John Dervis, ermakevin, djperry2 and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:03 pm

Greetings Sparky_D,

By chance, was the club the Paul Bunyan club in Puyallup, WA?

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Sparky_D likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:05 pm

Sparky,

That’s great to hear your experience. And it sounds like a few others from you club have also been bit by the bug.  Glad to have you in the sport.

Good luck.

John

John Dervis

Sparky_D likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparky_D Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:34 am

fc60 wrote:Greetings Sparky_D,

By chance, was the club the Paul Bunyan club in Puyallup, WA?

Cheers,

Dave

Nope, TRRC in UP.

I'll hopefully be shooting the Fall League at Paul Bunyan though.

Sparky_D

Back to top Go down

Introduction to Bullseye Empty INTRO TO BULLSEYE

Post by CarpeXRing Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:32 pm

We started an "Introduction To Bullseye" clinic at our club.  Twice a year, we advertise this with a flyer that I shotgun out to all match directors in the PACNORWEST region, post it in the newsletter, and social media as well.  We fill the classroom every time and pull in new shooters from every class.  Not a lot, but out of 20 or so attendees, we get a couple of new shooters.  In the two and a half years since starting, we are back to a full line at matches and should be looking at multiple relays in the not too distant future.

We offer it free, with the state association paying for the .22 ammo and admin costs for handouts (runs about 50-60 bucks).  About three hours of classroom with three (ish) hours of range time.  We run the attendees through an NMC to familiarize them with shooting each of the stages, and get enough volunteers to place a coach (experienced BE shooters in our region) on three or four firing points so they get one-on-one training.  The volunteers loan their guns so the attendees need only to bring eye and ear pro.  While I teach the class, the volunteer coaches attend and offer input.  Works great!

We recently started receiving ammo donations so cost is negligible.

Included in my handouts, I have a feedback form that helps me tweak the curriculum and make improvements.  One of the most notable comments is that "they've never heard of bullseye."  I think a little advertising goes a long way.
CarpeXRing
CarpeXRing

John Dervis, Fezzik68, SingleActionAndrew and JHHolliday like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SaraiEsq Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:40 pm

CarpeXRing wrote:We started an "Introduction To Bullseye" clinic at our club.  Twice a year, we advertise this with a flyer that I shotgun out to all match directors in the PACNORWEST region, post it in the newsletter, and social media as well.

Would you attach/post a flyer so we can see how you attract folks and what the curriculum is?  :-)
SaraiEsq
SaraiEsq

Back to top Go down

Post by Fezzik68 Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:32 pm

+1 for the flyer, I'd like to shamelessly plagiarize your ideas to start doing the same clinic.
Wouldn't mind seeing a curriculum or video to align our club with the same agenda.

My challenge to our teams this year is to introduce one new shooter per member this season.
We have got to start replacing our members before they age out.

Fezzik68

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarpeXRing Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:41 pm

SaraiEsq wrote:
CarpeXRing wrote:We started an "Introduction To Bullseye" clinic at our club.  Twice a year, we advertise this with a flyer that I shotgun out to all match directors in the PACNORWEST region, post it in the newsletter, and social media as well.

Would you attach/post a flyer so we can see how you attract folks and what the curriculum is?  :-)

Just changed over computers so those files are on my old laptop.  I'll post them up asap!
CarpeXRing
CarpeXRing

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:26 pm

I do a class based on my eBook Feeling Center but actually did the book based on the class

Seems to work

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

djperry2 and CarpeXRing like this post

Back to top Go down

Introduction to Bullseye Empty Re: INTRODUCTION TO BULLSEYE

Post by CarpeXRing Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:20 pm

Here's the flyer from our last intro and the slides in a pdf doc as well.
Attachments
Introduction to Bullseye Attachment
Bullseye Clinic Flyer 04-02-2023.pdf You don't have permission to download attachments.(181 Kb) Downloaded 23 times
CarpeXRing
CarpeXRing

SaraiEsq likes this post

Back to top Go down

Introduction to Bullseye Empty Re: INTRODUCTION TO BULLSEYE

Post by CarpeXRing Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:26 pm

Looks like I don't have permission to post docs, so if you're interested in a copy of the slides and flyer we use, shoot me an email: carpexring@gmail.com

Cheers!
CarpeXRing
CarpeXRing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down