Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sig Romeo 5 1911 Dove Tail Base

+3
javaduke
Wobbley
Rodger Barthlow
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sig Romeo 5 1911 Dove Tail Base Empty Sig Romeo 5 1911 Dove Tail Base

Post by Rodger Barthlow 1/21/2023, 5:29 pm

Look to put a Sig Romeo 5 on my 1911 Ball Gun and want to use a dove tail mount. 
Any one know which mount works with the Sig Romeo 5?

Last edited by Rodger Barthlow on 1/22/2023, 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Sig Romeo 5 1911 Dove Tail Base Empty Re: Sig Romeo 5 1911 Dove Tail Base

Post by Wobbley 1/21/2023, 7:58 pm

The Romeo 5  fits on a Picatinny rail.  The actual mount screws on and is modeled on the concept of the Aimpoin and or Kodiak mount…,

On a 1911 there are a number of dovetails out there.  I looked at the EGW page and couldn’t find on as their dovetail mounts are geared towards reflex sights.

I used one of these on a custom build.  I did have it cut at the rear end of the ejection port cut.  It works well.  https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1684 Sig Romeo 5 1911 Dove Tail Base C40d7610
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 1/22/2023, 8:35 am

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. 
The Sig Romeo 5 base is removeable, and some models come with a interchangeable high mount to fit a pic rail for rifles and the short mount for pistols or rifles.
I've looked at the EGW and think it might be adaptable to the Romeo 5.
I plan on calling them tomorrow and talk with their C S rep.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 1/24/2023, 8:40 am

EGW was no help so I'm thinking a RRA slide racker that can be drilled and tapped for a flat Weaver style scope base will work since I don't want to drill and tap the slide. This pistol is my ball gun and I'm looking for a backup since my primary wad gun is in for a tune up.
A dove tail mount would allow me to change up sights as needed.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

troystaten likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 1/24/2023, 8:56 am

Hi Roger, I can make one for you if you send me the slide so that I can properly fit it. Please PM me if you are interested.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by RADJAG 1/24/2023, 12:10 pm

I am happy to attest that Javaduke is a wizard with 3D printer and milling machine.

He just needs to increase his service charge (from zero) to a reasonable level. IMHO. 👍

RADJAG

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 1/24/2023, 8:27 pm

RADJAG wrote:I am happy to attest that Javaduke is a wizard with 3D printer and milling machine.
And a lathe! Wink

And zero is a good number (except, of course, if it's on your scorecard)

I just thought of a possible way to mate a piece of a Picatinny rail with a Bomar sight base. I still need to see how it works together, maybe make a 3d model in Fusion, but I think it should be possible.
This way it can be installed and tightened in the dovetail just like a regular Bomar sight, and then a Romeo, Aimpoint or any similar small optic can be installed on the rail using their base.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 1/24/2023, 10:12 pm

Thanks for the offer javaduke. The slide doesn't have a Bomar cut and is a standard Colt Mark IV 1911 Gov style slide with a Bomar adjustable rear sight in the factory dove tail. It does have a set screw that locks the sight in the dove tail.Sig Romeo 5 1911 Dove Tail Base Kimg1124
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by RADJAG 1/24/2023, 10:59 pm

The problem with all of the micro tube dots with Aimpoint pattern mounting screws is that you need access to the underside of the mount to fix the dot. The standard "low rise" mount has a dovetail & cross bolt to suit a picatinney/weaver rail. As I'm sure you already know!

The ultimate 1911 mount for an H1 involves a custom milled slide with a low platform and dovetail (KC Crawford can supply such a slide and the excellent Kodiak mount to go with it), but that is obviously drastic and expensive.

Attaching a short piece of rail (or even a flat plate) using a strip of steel dovetail with drilled/tapped holes for screws is possible, I've done something similar a few times, but inevitably the strip of dovetail is quite small and (in my experience) will not stand up to hard use in a 45.

Maybe Eugene could mill up a piece of tough'ish steel with an integral dovetail and tapped holes to cinch down through the dovetail. Then, possibly a low profile flat plate mount could be used to attach the dot to the mount. Somewhat similar to the Aimpoint low profile mount for a Ruger:-  
Sig Romeo 5 1911 Dove Tail Base Arm210

This would be about as low as you can get short of milling the slide.

Just my 2c.

RADJAG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 1/25/2023, 6:52 am

Thanks for the response and suggestions. The slide replacement would be really extreme since the slide and frame has been railed by Bob Kreiger.
Jerry Kiefer got his slide frame rail idea from my pistol when I took it to him to have a new barrel fitted along with a new hammer and sear so fitting a new slide would be too expensive and it would be cheaper to buy a new gun.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 1/25/2023, 7:06 am

I didn't take the time to look, but this might shed some light on what base configurations fit what optics.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/blog/footprints-on-red-dot-sights/

I believe that the Sig is the same footprint as the Aimpoint, but as I stated, I didn't take the time to verify that.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/25/2023, 8:11 am

DA/SA wrote:I didn't take the time to look, but this might shed some light on what base configurations fit what optics.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/blog/footprints-on-red-dot-sights/

I believe that the Sig is the same footprint as the Aimpoint, but as I stated, I didn't take the time to verify that.
I can confirm that. Sig, Holosun and Aimpoint have same base.

I have been asking for some time about dove to rail mount or even dove to Aimpoint direct mount.  I don't think later can be done as the weight would dictate another point of attachment like a screw forward of the dove.  I posted question here some time ago:

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t16996-novak-to-rail-adapter

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 1/25/2023, 8:29 am

Tripscape wrote:
I have been asking for some time about dove to rail mount or even dove to Aimpoint direct mount.  I don't think later can be done as the weight would dictate another point of attachment like a screw forward of the dove.  I posted question here some time ago:

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t16996-novak-to-rail-adapter

Dovetail to the dot direct mount would be tricky, because the mount must be tightened in the dovetail and aligned using set screws, but it wouldn't be possible to reach to those screws, because the base must be mounted to the dot first. I think the best option is the picatinny rail adapter. Easy to make, easy to install and easy to adjust properly, then any dot can be installed on it.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 1/25/2023, 9:34 am

javaduke

Perhaps a tapered end set screw in from the side of the dovetail contacting a steel ball would lock the mount to the slide. One on each side of the dovetail.

Sig Romeo 5 1911 Dove Tail Base ZrG8DCFl
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 1/25/2023, 9:43 am

Yes, I thought about a similar thing (a wedged piece of metal instead of steel ball, but similar idea), but the dovetail is relatively small, there's really not enough material there for this contraption, and it increases complexity too. I prefer less moving parts and more reliability. Even if it works initially, imagine this thing going back and forth under recoil, eventually it will loosen up and fly off the slide at the worst possible moment.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/25/2023, 10:32 am

For Colt dove there is not enough material.  For other configurations there may be more material.  With micro dots having more weight do you think that a forward screw would be needed?  

I LOVE that we are finally discussing these options!  It is very common now to mount a reflex site with a dove adapter.  If we can mount a micro site same way it would be awesome!

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 1/25/2023, 10:41 am

The forward screw IMHO is more for alignment rather than weight support. 
OK, folks, the challenge is accepted, I guess, give me a few days to play with CAD and my mill and I'll see if I can come up with something simple and reliable. If not, the picatinny rail with dovetail option is probably the second best.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 1/25/2023, 12:21 pm

There’s a lot of acceleration in a 45 slide when it’s fired.  Way back in the pistol scope days I recall Leupold did some testing and the found that a 45 slide was experiencing up to 5000g(!) during firing.  That means that a mounting system has to be able to react a load up to 5000 times the weight of the sight.  That may be too much for a dovetail trying to carry a large optic.  A Romeo 5 weighs 140 grams, the Aimpoint H1 weighs 100 grams, but a mechanical rear sight weighs only 30-50 grams.  This means that an Aimpoint or Romeo apply a force 2 to 3 times and an Ultradot is 3 times that of a Romeo 5.

I personally chose reflex sights on some of my pistols on dovetail mounts because I didn’t want to drill the slide.  I’ve found no significant difference in performance between the tube sights and reflex.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 1/25/2023, 7:01 pm

A simple dove tail pic rail is what I was looking for.
I looked at the pictures Photo E scape had in his older post and that is what I was looking for. The Bomar rear sight is locked in the dove tail cut with a single set screw so locking the rail with one screw should work with a little blue lock tight or vibre tite. The Romeo 5 is made to accept different style bases and the one I have is the low base that fits on a pic rail or Weaver style rail.
I'm not looking to put a Ultra Dot Match dot on a dove tail base. A Ultra dot micro might be an option but for now it is just for back up using my ball gun and if I had to get a smaller reflex like the Burris Fast fire it would be cheaper than buying another gun though I would love to have a another .45 and have been thinking of selling or trading my Larry Luttenegger 1911 .38spl wadcutter pistol. For now if I do decide to sell the .38spl Jon has first dibs unless someone wants to offer me a crazy price for it
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 1/25/2023, 7:03 pm

Rodger Barthlow wrote:A simple dove tail pic rail is what I was looking for.
Well, then it's easy to make it. If you can't find one, feel free to PM me and let me know if you are still interested.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 1/25/2023, 8:25 pm

javaduke PM sent.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/25/2023, 8:33 pm

PM sent and you are awesome!!!

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 2/1/2023, 7:33 pm

After talking to javaduke I sent him my slide to have a dove tail scope mount fitted to my slide which he made from my description of what I wanted to do.
When I get the slide back I'll post some pictured or javaduke can when he gets it fitted. 
I can hardly wait to get it back and try it out.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 2/4/2023, 1:57 pm

OK, this is what it looks like:
Sig Romeo 5 1911 Dove Tail Base Img_2510
Sig Romeo 5 1911 Dove Tail Base Img_2511
Sig Romeo 5 1911 Dove Tail Base Img_2512

The slide had a hole drilled and tapped for 6-48 screw so I decided to re-use this hole instead of set screws in the dovetail. The dovetail is standard Colt .330x65deg, it was very easy to cut it with the Brownells dovetail cutter. 
Unfortunately I don't have a setup for anodizing yet (I'm planning to!) so I spray painted it, but most of it will be hidden under the red dot anyway so it's no big deal.

I guess I can make it pretty much for any sight cut, Novak, BoMar, Glock, you name it, and from any metal. The price will always be shipping cost only, although if you want, feel free to supply raw materials for your project. I will happily accept any round or square bar steel, aluminum, brass or bronze. Silver and gold will also be accepted, although I've never machined gold so I have no idea how to work on it Smile Please don't send any uranium or plutonium, they are too heavy and the shipping costs will be exorbitant Smile

javaduke

twillis, Rene and samtoast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodger Barthlow 2/4/2023, 4:31 pm

Man that looks great and I can hardly wait to get the slide back to mount the Romeo 5 on it and see how it works.
Thanks javaduke for taking this project and making it happen.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next