Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

diopter for front sight

3 posters

Go down

diopter for front sight Empty diopter for front sight

Post by Russ OR 2/3/2023, 9:59 pm

Very interesting discussions-other posts- on diopter for front sight.
I had cataract surgery 7 years ago. went for distance, not close option lenses.

I'm legal to drive w/o glasses, but with slight astigmatism still I wear RX glasses for shooting (I partially occlude the non-shooting eye lens w frosted tape). - For iron sights I tape (a little frog tape top & bottom) a 1.25 diopter reader lens onto dominant eye side of my glasses. Works better than anything else I've tried.
Reading glasses on sale regularly at Costco for $12.99 / 3 pair.
Reader lens came from a broken pair of readers I'd been using for computer.

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

diopter for front sight Empty Re: diopter for front sight

Post by xmastershooter 2/3/2023, 11:13 pm

Hi Russ, how have you been?  I commend you on your ingenuity and experimentation.  I had cataract surgery on both eyes a couple of years ago and I can relate to your discovery.  I now have 20/20 in each eye with no residual refractive error.  My focus is “clean, clear and stable” with no interference with haze of any kind. About a year later, I had the posterior capsulotomy which will eventually occur to everyone after cataract surgery. Clear corneas, single focus intraocular implants and healthy retinal maculas...., a grand senior shooter’s dream.

xmastershooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Russ OR 2/4/2023, 12:28 am

xmastershooter wrote:Hi Russ, how have you been?  I commend you on your ingenuity and experimentation.  I had cataract surgery on both eyes a couple of years ago and I can relate to your discovery.  I now have 20/20 in each eye with no residual refractive error.  My focus is “clean, clear and stable” with no interference with haze of any kind. About a year later, I had the posterior capsulotomy which will eventually occur to everyone after cataract surgery. Clear corneas, single focus intraocular implants and healthy retinal maculas...., a grand senior shooter’s dream.

I'm pretty good- -- for an 8 year now Grand Senior. 
-- Last year I had the Laser treatment to clear some cloudiness that commonly happens after cataract surgery (would that be posterior capsulotomy?).
This afternoon I shot my Hammerli 160 Free pistol. I could see the sights very clearly.- Hoping to shoot the International Sectional at Portland this year.

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by shootingsight 2/4/2023, 10:54 am

There was just a thread on best glasses for bullseye where we discussed the focal point you get by adding various lens powers to your prescription.  You are correct - stacking a lens has the same optical effect as adding power to a lens prescription.  For pistol, I believe 1.25 is a little too strong, I believe between 0.75 and 1.00 is the right strength, soas not to make the target too blurry to see, but there is swing room for personal preferance, and also because your might have rounded up, or down to create your lens.

shootingsight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down