Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CMP 2023 Distinguished *Service Revolver loads

2 posters

Go down

CMP 2023 Distinguished *Service Revolver loads   Empty CMP 2023 Distinguished *Service Revolver loads

Post by Single_handed Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:58 pm

Hello,
(Preface: I did search, but didn’t find what I was looking for, if there is a thread, I missed it and will close this. Originally posted in equip section, but deleted as it seemed more appropriate here)
I did some gun wrenching, tons of welding and a little machine work and worked myself into a horse trade for a brand new S&W 686-6 Plus, 6” stainless, 7 shot .357/.38 cylinder. I know it’s brand new because I picked it up from Cabelas. Full disclosure; I don’t care a great deal for wheel guns, i respect them and even come to like them. But I love my auto’s. However, since the CMP started a Distinguished Revolver Program, I wanted to chase the badge while I’m chasing the other CMP Dist Badges. When in Rome, Right? Or Reno, wherever.
I’ve been searching through DR loads on the forum and they are all (the ones I can find) dated and for NRA 158 gn loads. Curious what the current consensus is on 2023 CMP Distinguished Revolver loads nowadays?

I have all the accoutrements required for assembling .38 spl ammo save for the bullets as I haven’t decided yet and thought I’d ask here before I pull the digital trigger on some. Been looking (and can source as of today anyway) Hornady 148 HBWC, laser-Cast 148 DEWC & 158 SWC and (mostly) the same for zero, brazos, Missouri, acme etc. I like the idea of coated or plated bullets, but have little or no experience with either. I just don’t love scrubbing lead from bores/cylinders. The consensus on plated seems to be like playing in traffic. You’ll get lucky here and there until you aren’t. I’ve loaded a lot of lead bullets for family and friends. But they just wanted it to go “bang” so I’ll just say my experience for all intents and purposes is nill. Also open to any jacketed bullet loads. Any help, as always is appreciated.
Respectfully,
-Rob

Last edited by Single_handed on Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:28 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited because I lack knowledge)
Single_handed
Single_handed

Back to top Go down

CMP 2023 Distinguished *Service Revolver loads   Empty Re: CMP 2023 Distinguished *Service Revolver loads

Post by CR10X Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:25 pm

The CMP is "Distinguished Service Revolver" and the calibers allowed are 9mm/.38 Special to .45 with any safe, single projectile ammunition. 

The NRA is "Distinguished Revolver" and the caliber allowed is .38 Special with 158 gr. Round Nose or Semi-Wadcutter ammunition. 

You don't have to shoot lead for either.  The CMP provides a wider range of gun / caliber options.

The other particulars are pretty much the same, but read on your own to be sure.  

I would suggest staying away from "plated" but now you have the option of checking out jacketed.

Nobody took over anything.  Just two different competitions now, mostly because CMP didn't already anything for Revolvers.

CR10X

JRV likes this post

Back to top Go down

CMP 2023 Distinguished *Service Revolver loads   Empty Re: CMP 2023 Distinguished *Service Revolver loads

Post by Single_handed Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:31 pm

CR10X wrote:
Nobody took over anything.  Just two different competitions now, mostly because CMP didn't already anything for Revolvers.

Ohhhhhh, I was under that impression. Honestly had no idea that NRA Dist Revolver existed until 2016 and saw the badge th first time. I will edit my post. Thank you very much, Sir!
One of those “you don’t know, until you know.” Sorta deals for me.
Single_handed
Single_handed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down