Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kimber (Officer size) question

3 posters

Go down

Kimber (Officer size) question Empty Kimber (Officer size) question

Post by AZ10X Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:30 am

Since the Kimber Ultra Carry is a non bushing type barrel to frame fit, should there be any play between the upset end (muzzle) of the barrel and the frame with it partially disassembled (guide rod out) and just sliding the barrel into what it would be at lock-up position?
Attachments
Kimber (Officer size) question Attachment
image002.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(42 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
AZ10X
AZ10X

Back to top Go down

Kimber (Officer size) question Empty Re: Kimber (Officer size) question

Post by Steve in Allentown Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:45 am

A more definitive answer would be gained by simply removing the recoil spring, pushing the slide into battery, and attempting to push the muzzle around.  In a perfect world it wouldn't move at all.
Steve in Allentown
Steve in Allentown

Back to top Go down

Post by AZ10X Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:54 pm

Steve in Allentown wrote:A more definitive answer would be gained by simply removing the recoil spring, pushing the slide into battery, and attempting to push the muzzle around.  In a perfect world it wouldn't move at all.
Did that and there is a little latteral play.  There is none in my other 1911's with bushing and non bushing types.  I would think this effects accuracy.
AZ10X
AZ10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve in Allentown Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:58 pm

It will affect accuracy to one degree or another.  Exactly how much is unknown.  I would shoot it supported from a bench at whatever distance you deem appropriate.  If your skill and the pistol's mechanical accuracy result in a group size that satisfies you, you're golden.  If not it's time to ask a 1911 bullseye 'smith for help.

Of course, your shooting skills may or may not be sufficient to wring the last bit of mechanical accuracy out of the pistol.  Lord knows mine can't anymore.
Steve in Allentown
Steve in Allentown

Back to top Go down

Post by AZ10X Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:39 pm

Steve in Allentown wrote:It will affect accuracy to one degree or another.  Exactly how much is unknown.  I would shoot it supported from a bench at whatever distance you deem appropriate.  If your skill and the pistol's mechanical accuracy result in a group size that satisfies you, you're golden.  If not it's time to ask a 1911 bullseye 'smith for help.

Of course, your shooting skills may or may not be sufficient to wring the last bit of mechanical accuracy out of the pistol.  Lord knows mine can't anymore.
As soon as I can borrow a Ransom rest I'll test it from the bench.  It just infuriates me that Kimber can seem to produce a good barrel, both interior and exterior, any more.  It seems like since they moved their plant to Alabama their products have gone to hell.  This isn't the first Kimber barrel issue I have experienced. 🤦‍�
AZ10X
AZ10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve in Allentown Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:27 pm

I worked on a BUL/Magnum Reserach .45 1911 with a bull barrel a couple of months ago.  The barrel muzzle wiggled around and the lower barrel lugs did not contact the slide stop cross pin.  As you can imagine, accuracy was mediocre.

I discovered the interior of the slide had been machined to accept a barrel bushing.  I offered to fit a new standard .45 barrel to correct the lack of accuracy but the owner declined saying it was accurate enough as self-defense/home defense weapon.

Unfortunately, your little pistol is too short to utilize a barrel bushing.  Everyone sings the praises of Kimber customer service to fix issues.

Maybe you can talk the Kimber folks into fitting a new barrel for free.  lol!
Steve in Allentown
Steve in Allentown

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:07 pm

AZ
I had one of those years ago and found that, for whatever reason, I wasn’t able to shoot it very well and had some reliability issues. Have you shot it much and if so experienced good reliability?

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by AZ10X Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:49 pm

I have shot probably 400 rounds though it.  No FTE or FTF issues eventhough Kimber indicates that you can expect some prior to a 500+ round break-in.  Many of the past issues could be attribuable to the sub standard mags that Kimber used.  I have not used the stock mag as I replaced it with a Wilson Combat from the get-go.  Accuracy leaves alot to be desired.  I am in a real dilemma since no one makes an after market barrel for the Ultra Carry and my past experience with Kimber customer service regarding barrel issues was terrible.  The only reason I bought it was because of the size and the only other reasonable choice was a Colt Defender which my pistolsmith cautioned me against.  I do have a Crimson Pro Carry (commander size) that has been a gem.  I guess 1 for 2 is about par.
AZ10X
AZ10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down