Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A day at the range

+8
Pat Nemes
Colt711
Dr.Don
TampaTim
Toz35m
sixftunda
Rob Kovach
Brettitt41
12 posters

Go down

A day at the range Empty A day at the range

Post by Brettitt41 Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:47 pm

Spent some time at the range today trying out several different things with my RO. I had to use the rifle range for my 50yd testing so in between the AR's and deer hunters sighting in I got some rounds down range. I was shooting my own cast 200 lswc (207-8 actually) over 4gn of BE. I started with the stock recoil spring and worked my way down to an 11lb recoil spring to get consistent ejection. While mostly consistent 2 handed on sand bags they would lock the slide back but eject only about 3'. In my normal stance they fell at my feet when not hanging up in the slide. I think I may be limp wristing a little in my stance or the new Metalform mags didn't like my stance. So what to do? Up the charge of BE, go even lower on the recoil spring (mainspring is 19), find a lighter red dot? I'm going to try my Bushnell TRS25 and see how it does before buying something else. All in all a day spent shooting and learning my new weapon was great.

Brettitt41

Back to top Go down

A day at the range Empty Re: A day at the range

Post by Rob Kovach Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:07 am

What is your crimp?  Everything else sounds right for good operation.  Crimp a couple thousandths tighter and see if that helps.  Which red dot are you using now?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brettitt41 Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:20 am

Rob Kovach wrote:What is your crimp?  Everything else sounds right for good operation.  Crimp a couple thousandths tighter and see if that helps.  Which red dot are you using now?
.468 & 1.250 oal and a Bushnell trophy red dot. I got it free through my work exercise rewards program. Ultra dots aren't available through the program, darn it.

Brettitt41

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:27 am

Sounds like everything is right.  If it's very new maybe it's just a little tight and needs to break in some more.
Maybe more oil on the rails---also on the top of the frame.  All over the barrel too.  Sure it's messy but oil keeps your tolerances tight.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sixftunda Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 am

If the rounds are grouping good then I would simply drop down to a nine pound spring.
sixftunda
sixftunda

Back to top Go down

Post by Brettitt41 Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:36 pm

sixftunda wrote:If the rounds are grouping good then I would simply drop down to a nine pound spring.
They appear to be grouping good enough for me 2"-3" @ 50yd, I haven't measured just eyebaling it. I'll see if I can pick up some more springs.

Brettitt41

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:19 pm

If it is new it will still benefit from some break in time.  Going lower than 11lbs could cause lock up to not happen properly.
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by Brettitt41 Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:23 pm

Toz35m wrote:If it is new it will still benefit from some break in time.  Going lower than 11lbs could cause lock up to not happen properly.
Its still pretty new only 50 rnds of factory 230 ball and 95 rnds of my 200 lswc. Maybe I should put the stock spring back in and run a couple hundred factory round through it.

Brettitt41

Back to top Go down

Post by TampaTim Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:15 pm

Most shooters I know that have a slide mounted scope use 4.2 of BE to get it to function all the time.

TampaTim

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:14 am

Mine requires 4.3 of BE with a jacketed 185.  I have noticed also that if I use Winchester primers I need to up it a bit, while CCI's will function reliably at 4.3.  So primers do make a difference.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:08 am

I run a slide mounted 1" Ultradot on a Springfield with Winchester LPPs, 3.8gr bullseye under 200gr LSWC.  I rarely have alibis.

Brettitt, shooting a couple hundred hardballs through it should break it in nicely.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:26 pm

I always shot the 160 or 165, use a slide mount and, load 4.15 of BE for most lots. Lately I was only able to shoot a .38 w/ the 148. I used 2.6 of BE w/ a slide mounted UD. A change to the TRS 25 made 2.5 of BE seem pretty strong.

From the above I would expect using the TS 25 would be good w/ your 4.2 & 200 setup. Also breaking the gun in as mentioned should do it. 3.8 to 4.0 should do the job w/ the 200 after breakin. If you are using an Aimpoint  Comp you might use a 10 lb. sprg.

BE powder WILL VARY a couple tenths lot to lot and I have had to increase as much as .35 for the .45 w/ a particularly weak lot.
Ron

Colt711

Back to top Go down

A day at the range Empty Day at the range

Post by Pat Nemes Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:15 pm

Did you try clamping the frame securely, removing the recoil spring and gently moving the slide back and forth to see you can feel a tight spot or maybe a hanging up somewhere in the travel. I have the RO also and mine has no trouble at all with 3.7 Gr BE with a 200 gr cast SWC taper crimped .002" below the case diameter. This with the factory supplied recoil spring.

The RO is  great gun.

Pat Nemes

Back to top Go down

Post by Brettitt41 Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Made it back out to the range today, despite the weatherman's predictions and the 46 deg temps. Tried a little of all the suggestions you folks posted. Had my TRS25 mounted so less weight on the slide and still had the 11lb recoil spring. 4.0gn of BE while operating fine on the bags still had several FTE's in one handed form. I had made up some 4.2gn BE loads and that was the ticket. No FTE's in one handed bullseye stance in 3 mags of 5. I also brought 100 factory FMJ's and after putting the stock recoil spring back in I proceeded to work on my timed and rapid. I think the 4.0gn load will work in warmer weather and/or after the RO gets broken in good.

Brettitt41

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:50 pm

From the sounds of it, it's working.  As it smooths itself out you should be fine with an 11# and 4.0. 

My setup is very similar on both wad guns, slide mounted Ultra Dot, ammo crimped to .468.  I've been using a 50' indoor and short line outdoor load of 3.5 Clays behind a 196 gr H&G 130 for years with a 12# spring.  When we go outdoors and I use my long line of 4.3 WST I go to a 13# spring and keep using the 3.5 load for the short line.  However, the last 2 rapid fires in a 2700 may not lock the slide back after the last shot.  After you wear in the RO it should run fine.

PS: I've since gone to 3.8 Clays which should take care of the slide lock after the last couple RF.  Haven't shot a 2700 since the switch, so time will tell.

Al

Last edited by Al on Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnusbullets Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:57 am

Keep the ammo in the car running by the heater. Lload a couple mags in car. Go straight to gun and fire. Will see a difference in ejection etc. Few years back army shooter at ft Campbell got 200swc from me, for ipsc.
Called wanted to trade for 230. Couldn't make power factor with load others were using with 200.
Asked temp etc when tested. 38 -40 degrees.
Had him keep ammo as mentioned above. Made power factor no problem. BE powder.
Powder more temp sensative than most think. Allen Fullford found this out years ago.
Set up ammo south Georgia. Went to cold match and higher elevation in Arizona. Ammo wooldnt make power.

Magnusbullets

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

A day at the range Empty ammo cold at rannge

Post by Magnusbullets Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 pm

Keep the ammo in the car running by the heater. Lload a couple mags in car. Go straight to gun and fire. Will see a difference in ejection etc. Few years back army shooter at ft Campbell got 200swc from me, for ipsc.
Called wanted to trade for 230. Couldn't make power factor with load others were using with 200.
Asked temp etc when tested. 38 -40 degrees.
Had him keep ammo as mentioned above. Made power factor no problem. BE powder.
Powder more temp sensative than most think. Allen Fullford found this out years ago.
Set up ammo south Georgia. Went to cold match and higher elevation in Arizona. Ammo wouldn't make power.

Magnusbullets

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Walloch Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Terry is correct with BE and temperature.  4.0 of BE in 80 plus degree Arizona wouldn't function my guns in 45 degree Idaho.

Greg Walloch

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:26 pm

all ammo acts different in cold weather even 22, best way to avoid issues it to load 45 hotter by 2 tenths, as for 22 keep mag in pocket and wrap gun in a towel when not holding it.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down