Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

testing brass

+2
Jon Eulette
L. Boscoe
6 posters

Go down

testing brass Empty testing brass

Post by L. Boscoe 7/7/2023, 8:14 am

I shoot 45acp and 22.  The 45 I reload, and I just finished my 10,000 of round reloading since I got back into shooting.  
Some brass, of which I have at least 2000, are showing signs of getting thin, or at least bulging.  I am shooting 4gr of N310 behind either 185 or 200gr bullets, so no heavy loads.
Is there a test method to cull any suspects?  I use a case gage to mimic the plunk test, but lately I have had
a few that got by me and jammed at the range.  I am thinking of getting one of those gages that hold I think 50
rounds at a time, but they are expensive.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

testing brass Empty Re: testing brass

Post by Jon Eulette 7/7/2023, 8:37 am

I function fire guns routinely. I use my brass until it splits. If one gets by me that is split and I reload it, it still holds 10 at 25 yds.
I wouldn’t waste the time messing with them.
But use better brass for matches.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Al, ak41, Allgoodhits, Star loader and L. Boscoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottB 7/7/2023, 10:32 am

I use the EGW Case Gauge Checker.  You can only check 7 rounds at a time but it's only $25.

https://www.egwguns.com/case-gauge-ammo-checker-45-acp-7-hole
ScottB
ScottB

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 7/7/2023, 10:47 am

If. Wuz you,….I’d think of getting 1000 or 2000 rounds of once-fired 45 brass and reserve that for shooting in matches.  Your 10000 are fine for practice and training purposes.  Of the 1-2 thou, I’d also look at buying some Small primed cases! Large pistol primers have been more sporadic in supply for the past several years. Small pistol have been more readily available it seems.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 7/7/2023, 11:19 am

I have found the Shok-bottle 100 round case gauges to be really useful - they catch all of the cracked cases (used to shoot them up in a 45 revolver or break them down and use the components) and any "tight" rounds (I typically run those through a Lee factory die to smooth them out).

https://dawsonprecision.com/case-gauge-for-ammunition-9x19-100-rd-by-shockbottle/

Not cheap, but very convenient if you load large batches and store in 100 round MTM style boxes. Very easy to spot any odd headstamp rounds prior to boxing (I like to reload in batches of same headstamp brass).

Not had any problems with my regular reloads cycling after I started using the shok-bottle. Some purists will complain that a gauge made from Aluminum is not "proper" - nonsense, it is very fit for purpose.

RoyDean

dannyd93140 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 7/7/2023, 1:44 pm

thanks guys: I have enough large primers to make it to 2030, so
not to worry there.  I have 1000 once fired brass I am adding to the circulation, and will add more as the old succumbs.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge 7/7/2023, 1:52 pm

The ways .45 acp brass fails is by either the mouth cracking, or by the narrow portion of the extraction groove gradually collapsing and the case getting too short.  

There is a webpage where a guy reloaded a single case 50+ times, until he felt it was too short.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down