Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The case for bullets feeders...

5 posters

Go down

The case for bullets feeders... Empty The case for bullets feeders...

Post by 10sandxs 8/10/2023, 8:52 pm

So I bought a bullet feeder a while back and was dissapointed that it didn't feed lubed bullets well as the excess lube gums up the mechanism. (It works great with jacketed or coated bullets).

But, pulling off the feeder and just placing bullets in the tube allows using lubed bullets by placing them in the tube and pressing down on the "upstroke" of the press.  This preseats the bullets square in the case and with photoescapes powder dies, makes for more consistant and accurate ammo. If I had it to do over again, I would have just bought the die and tube. The motorized feeder is nice, but doesn't reduce time much over the tube. 

If your using jacketed or coated bullets. It runs like a champ and you can get into a nice rhythm which also makes better ammo...

[url=https://servimg.com/view/19524070/378]The case for bullets feeders... 20230812The case for bullets feeders... 20230810[/url]

10sandxs

PhotoEscape likes this post

Back to top Go down

The case for bullets feeders... Empty Re: The case for bullets feeders...

Post by Wobbley 8/10/2023, 9:13 pm

Lubed are ok, but I’ve just about abandoned lubed bullets.  I’m tempted to strip the lube and coat the ones I have….
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

10sandxs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 8/10/2023, 10:06 pm

Wobbley wrote:Lubed are ok, but I’ve just about abandoned lubed bullets.  I’m tempted to strip the lube and coat the ones I have….
I shot lubed cause I had them... once they're gone... all coated for me...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 8/11/2023, 10:49 am

I have seen lubed bullets that were “dusted with white powder” which was supposed to be a counter to the stickiness of the lube and allow them to be used in bullet feeders. I have no idea on what powder was used (talcum?)  but I know it was a thing…?.???
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 8/11/2023, 10:50 am

Double Alpha has new style dropper that helps alleviating sticking while loading lubed lead.  With a little bit of work it is not difficult to convert old style droppers as well by one selves.  Or just buy Tensioning Spring Assembly from DAA - https://www.doublealpha.biz/dropper-tensioning-spring-assembly

The case for bullets feeders... Img_6510  

I think, bigger issue is clogging of the seating die.  Especially micro adjustable ones.  I have to clean it very often.

AP

Last edited by PhotoEscape on 8/11/2023, 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addet text.)
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 8/11/2023, 12:16 pm

Mica, I think.

My Redding starts 'snapping' the floating stem after awhile. Clear sign to pull it down and dig the goo out. I never notice an issue with seating depth changing. Although a little bit of lube does collect in the nose area, which is a close fit to the bullet, it stills seats off the shoulder.

Likely the snapping stem prompts me to clean it more often than I might otherwise.

Read an article many years ago pushing the idea lubed bullets seal the bore and prevent leading by creating a hydrodynamic lube system under acceleration, which is a fairly large number of 'G's' when you consider how fast even a wimpy bullseye load gets going in 5".

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 8/11/2023, 9:26 pm

Here's my way of solving feeding lubed bullets. Made them in the 90's before all the newer feeders. Basically an upside down Green Machine feeder made for a Dillon 1050. Don't even have to look while placing the bullet.
The case for bullets feeders... 45_sea12
The case for bullets feeders... 45_sea13

Wes Lorenz

fc60 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down