Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dominant eye question

4 posters

Go down

Dominant eye question Empty Dominant eye question

Post by L. Boscoe 9/20/2023, 11:05 am

I noticed that Rink grips offers an ergonomic grip that has a 7 deg tilt to it for shooters who, like myself,
are left eye dominant but right handed. I have noticed my natural inclination is to have my wrist slightly
tilted to the left.  Is that the 7 deg  showing up? I make a serious effort to hold vertical, but that requires
extra effort and might be affecting my hold.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Dominant eye question Empty Re: Dominant eye question

Post by Jon Eulette 9/20/2023, 12:05 pm

Tough question to answer. In my opinion most Euro grips have too much material removed at the heel position (heel of palm). As a result the heel is unsupported. The 7 degree offset is just adding more material at the heel. Doubtfully it’s too much. I’d go with it! It’s not really a big difference, but in the right direction. 
My statement has nothing to do with eye dominance. 
I can use either eye with any grip and shoot equally well. I believe with normal correctable vision it doesn’t matter. I use a blinder.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

lyoke likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/20/2023, 12:18 pm

Due to medical reasons I have to now shoot LH with right eye.
I have to twist the wrist to get consistent sight alignment.
The 7 degree helps but I think 11-14 would be better.
Start filling in with Bondo!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by L. Boscoe 9/20/2023, 3:17 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Tough question to answer. In my opinion most Euro grips have too much material removed at the heel position (heel of palm). As a result the heel is unsupported. The 7 degree offset is just adding more material at the heel. Doubtfully it’s too much. I’d go with it! It’s not really a big difference, but in the right direction. 
I can use either eye with any grip and shoot equally well. I believe with normal correctable vision it doesn’t matter. I use a blinder.
Jon
The Nill grips I have are a pretty good fit, way better than the slab originals. It is a curiosity more than a shooting
dilemma, as my right eye is useless with AMD.

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Post by kodiakdjd 11/18/2023, 9:22 am

Jon Eulette wrote:Tough question to answer. In my opinion most Euro grips have too much material removed at the heel position (heel of palm). As a result the heel is unsupported. The 7 degree offset is just adding more material at the heel. Doubtfully it’s too much. I’d go with it! It’s not really a big difference, but in the right direction. 
Jon
Jon,

Struggling Marksman . . . close to Sharpshooter but . . .

After 17+ years of weekly shooting, struggled last few years shooting left handed, right eye dominant with occluder on left eye. I am left handed.

Bench sighted volguartsen 22 and marvel custom pro pistols but was shooting both with groups to the right consistently.

I had been steering them in for slow fire, but TF and RF would go back to natural aim and all group to the right.

The guy that helps me run our Bullseye leagues told me to adjust the sights since i was grouping to the right.

Now they are back in the center at natural point of aim and stance and just need to decrease the wobble area.

But do to recent elbow, shoulder pain on my left side, a physical therapist, told me to shoot right handed for a while.

I used to be about the same left or right handed.

Here is the issue . . .

But now I am grouping in the center left handed, but if I shoot right handed in any combo or right eye/left occluded or right eye (which is blurry), etc., the groups are to the left.  I switch back to left handed and back in the center?

Is there something I am doing wrong trying to shoot right handed?

I could adjust my sights for righted but then my left handed shooting (as a natural lefty) would be grouping back to the right?

I assume I should be grouping in the center shooting lefty or righty? We have a 80+ Marine who holds tight and shoots equally well both righty or lefty (he might be ambidextrous and also has 60+ years of experience).

Should I just reduce my shooting time and stick with shooting left handed when I can?

Thanks,

Dan

kodiakdjd

Back to top Go down

Post by kodiakdjd 11/18/2023, 9:55 am

P.s. I am using a Matchdot red dot,

Dan

kodiakdjd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content