Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gun, user, ammunition

+2
Merick
Eindecker
6 posters

Go down

gun, user, ammunition Empty gun, user, ammunition

Post by Eindecker 11/3/2023, 12:01 pm

when the gun keeps groups inside a given diameter at a given range of 20 yards.. regardless of powder charge.. ie bullseye, red dot, 2400,  but merely changed impact height by powder brand used.. bullseye hit higher then 2400 but lower then red dot... 

all using same bullet,  is it time to fudge with

sights on the gun

start seating bullets slightly deeper to see what happens

hold muzzle to target and ignore powder burns for a perfect grouping size

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

gun, user, ammunition Empty Re: gun, user, ammunition

Post by Merick 11/3/2023, 1:35 pm

The trick is to post two targets on top of one another, then throw away the top one with the powder burns.

Merick

Allen Barnett, Centerline and Motophotog7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker 11/3/2023, 11:15 pm

This was a rather rough day for me, shooting wise. 

Fiinally got to test my 18.5 grains of 2400 under the matts bullets 

240 Grain Semi-Wadcutter (.430)- 430-240-SWC (mattsbullets.com)

in a brand spanking new this year  smith n wesson 5" 629.  

Results not so good or fun. First shot, the primer BLEW, nice brown blackened hole in the firing pin indentation.  Locked the gun up until i used both thumbs on the hammer. Every round fired fine, just extremely dirty load.  
   Each cylinder has a heavy crud line where the case mouth rested. 

I used my just arrived lewis lead remover... failure..  didnt have the instructions with it, so i over tightened the components and ripped the brass screen off on the forcing cone.. 

THe jb bore paste is the most wonderful thing in the world.  I shall never purchase a handgun without running some through the gun at the gun shop BEFORE doing paperwork. 

I discovered some sad facts about the barrel of this new production gun. 

THe areas of the barrel that have always acumulated huge lead deposits on the rear most face of the lands... have microscopic burrs on the lands that scrape the bullets. 

Some of the lands themselves, and the grooves have short scratches/striations on them...   and one groove has as far as i can see down the barrel from... micro splatter in it.

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by sfcrobertson 11/5/2023, 9:27 am

You need to check the load data for 2400, I see 15.4 as a starting load for 45 colt. Not sure what your are shooting?

sfcrobertson

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 11/5/2023, 12:24 pm

629, 44 magnum

That would be a moderate load for 240 cast.

I’d make sure a heavy crimp for full burning of powder.
Make sure bullet diameter is .001 larger than cylinder throat diameter.
20 yards , should all be same hole probably.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by djperry2 11/5/2023, 1:35 pm

I think if I had a brand spanking new gun with a barrel that bad, it would be going back with a request for a new barrel under warranty.
Darrell

djperry2

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 11/5/2023, 4:04 pm

djperry2 wrote:I think if I had a brand spanking new gun with a barrel that bad, it would be going back with a request for a new barrel under warranty.
Darrell
And, when S&W says “within our specs” 
You’ll do what.

Find better ammo
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by djperry2 11/5/2023, 10:01 pm

james r chapman wrote:
djperry2 wrote:I think if I had a brand spanking new gun with a barrel that bad, it would be going back with a request for a new barrel under warranty.
Darrell
You’ll do what.

Find better ammo

I guess the gun would get cleaned really well and sold with the plan to buy another gun, probably a different brand.

A customer lost due to poor service or quality is usually lost for good. A mistake when corrected is forgivable. Flaunting their low quality standards in your face and telling you "tough" is reason to never buy one of their products again.

Ammo companies have usually made good when they let a bad batch of ammo get out and people complained.

I do think it is a good practice to put a couple hundred rounds of factory jacketed ammo through any new gun to soothe up the barrel before trying lead bullet ammo.

Darrell

djperry2

Back to top Go down

Post by Centerline 11/16/2023, 1:38 pm

I bought a model 69 a few years back and that has been very nice. 18g of 2400 is about as much as I want to do in that lighter gun. I usually like 7.5 unique. They tend to have similar impact points and accurate. I'm surprised it blew out a primer, never had that happen. 2400 is dirty with less than heavy loads, but 18.5 should burn complete if you have a good crimp.

Centerline

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker 12/16/2023, 11:43 pm

djperry2 wrote:
james r chapman wrote:
Darrell
You’ll do what.

Find better ammo

I guess the gun would get cleaned really well and sold with the plan to buy another gun, probably a different brand.

A customer lost due to poor service or quality is usually lost for good. A mistake when corrected is forgivable. Flaunting their low quality standards in your face and telling you "tough" is reason to never buy one of their products again.

Ammo companies have usually made good when they let a bad batch of ammo get out and people complained.

I do think it is a good practice to put a couple hundred rounds of factory jacketed ammo through any new gun to soothe up the barrel before trying lead bullet ammo.

Darrell

Ive had two companies screw me over bad ammunition.. CCI  and a 1999 Olin 22 lr problem. CCI said to stick it. Olin offered me an exchange on the ammunition, but USPS, UPS, and Fedex would NOT let me ship it.

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker 12/16/2023, 11:48 pm

Centerline wrote:I bought a model 69 a few years back and that has been very nice. 18g of 2400 is about as much as I want to do in that lighter gun. I usually like 7.5 unique. They tend to have similar impact points and accurate. I'm surprised it blew out a primer, never had that happen. 2400 is dirty with less than heavy loads, but 18.5 should burn complete if you have a good crimp.
these are brand new first time use by anyone,and first time used hornady dies.. I THINK i have them set up fine, no bullets ahve pulled out from recoil.  They have heavy crimp grooves. 

Ive ordered 3 pounds of Unique. Im thinking its a bullet issue that i need to look into. 

SHooting regular fiocho personal defense had such better accuracy its not funny. Sure only 1" better, but i think 3 groups of 6 rounds that fall inside a 3.5 inch circle with a large number of the holes TOUCHING... versus 6 rounds spread out over a 4x4" section is alot better. 

I wont lie.... i was getting as good of accuracy with my 357 shooting remington 158 swc target loads....

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down