Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dillon Square Deal for high quality ammo

+3
dan allen
Rob Kovach
HenryA
7 posters

Go down

Dillon Square Deal for high quality ammo Empty Dillon Square Deal for high quality ammo

Post by HenryA Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:48 am

Does anyone here have experience with loading .45 ACP on a Dillon Square Deal?
If fed quality components and operated properly, will it make high quality bullseye ammo right out of the box?
Tell me about it please.

HenryA

Back to top Go down

Dillon Square Deal for high quality ammo Empty Re: Dillon Square Deal for high quality ammo

Post by Rob Kovach Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:54 am

Yes, it will make quality .45 ACP with hardly any fuss.

The only 2 problems I have with them is the handle isn't as strong as the higher Dillon models so seating the primers fully isn't as positive.  But go ahead and push the heck out of it--if it breaks, it's lifetime guaranteed. The other issue is the dies are a unique diameter and thread pitch--so only "square deal" dies can be used.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Dillon Square Deal for high quality ammo Empty Re: Dillon Square Deal for high quality ammo

Post by dan allen Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:36 am

I love everything about the Square Deal except the priming system especially changing between large and small primers. I have removed the priming system from mine and prime with a Lee hand prime. The first time through I remove cases at station two and prime a bunch and then start them at station two again and finish. It takes a bit longer this way but works well.

dan allen

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:40 pm

The SD is a great pistol only loader but if you are going to do more than just a couple calibers I'd look into the 550 which will also do rifle.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by HenryA Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks.
I'd never change calibers, so as long as the dies that come with it are good, I'll be happy.
The priming issues concern me. Is the priming system adjustable or are you stuck with however it happens to work (or not work)? I'd never change from LP primers so maybe its not that big a deal?

HenryA

Back to top Go down

Post by dan allen Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:00 pm

The dies are fine. The priming system is adjustable and can be made to work. I just got tired of messing with it.

dan allen

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:17 pm

I have been using a SDB for 15+ years now.  I just broke the handle and got it replaced in less than a week.  I push it so it touches the stop every time to make sure the primer is seated. I use it for all of my 50yd loading for 45.  Since I rarely change between small and large primers I do not have any issue with the priming system.  Switching does take a little longer vs my 550 but if you are only going to load 45 you should not have any problems.  I think it is a great starting point for getting a press.  I started with the SDB and then added a 550 to my bench and use both.
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:03 pm

If you pay attention to the details, components,powder drop, crimp, OAL and consistency, most any press will make quality ammo. Even the best press will load crap if these things are not done.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HenryA Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:40 pm

DavidR wrote:If you pay attention to the details, components,powder drop, crimp, OAL and consistency, most any press will make quality ammo. Even the best press will load crap if these things are not done.

Got that part down.

I've been reloading since I was 12 and thats been a looong time ago. The press in question looks a little cheesy, but if it works it works. And thats really my question. I loaded on a Green Machine back in the day and those things took real persistence and dedication. I'd probably buy one of those if it was priced right. I'd really like a Star but not likely to find one that I'd pay for. In these days of "reloading shortage madness" its hard to find anything and when I do its crazy priced.

I have mountains of other reloading gear for all the other things I shoot but want to crank out 45s at a higher rate with the least monkeying around and money spent. That's the sole purpose of the Square Deal for me.

HenryA

Back to top Go down

Post by xringshooter Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:20 pm

I have a Dillion SD "B" that I bought used four or five years ago.  I use it exclusively to load .45 Auto with large pistol primers.  This machine has probably loaded 10,000 + rounds, and just keeps on ticking.  I like everything about it!  With minor seating adjustments, I load 185 grain cast lead and JHP bullets, and 230 grain RN FMJ ammo. Dillon has replaced a few minor parts that wore out free of charge, even after I told them I had purchased it used. They are the absolutely best people to deal with in the reloading industry.

xringshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:34 pm

The really only drawback to a Square Deal is the dies, they are only made by dillion and you cant interchange normal industry standard dies in the machine. If you can afford one step up to the next dillion, then from there to the 1050 all take normal sized dies.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:35 pm

I would have to agree with DavidR.  It is a little annoying I am not able to use dies I have for .38 and .32 on my 550.  I have to use them on the SDB only.

If you are just going to focus on 45 only then you may not be concerned about it.  I was not when I was only loading .32.  I will most likely not buy any new dies for the SDB since i have a 550.
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:01 pm

I was only going to load .45 when I started loading and was ready to buy a Square Deal but the store owner asked me one simple question - are you sure you're only going to load pistol?  Great question.  Back then I was only shooting pistol for fun and wanted to cut costs.  Even though I was convinced it was overkill at the time I ended up with the 550. 

Since then I got into competitive shooting both rifle and pistol.  I added a case feeder to the 550, then I added an additional press, a 1050 Super with a Mr Bulletfeeder.  I do all my load development on the 550.  The 1050 is for production.

Dave

Last edited by dronning on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarity)
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:30 am

HenryA wrote:Does anyone here have experience with loading .45 ACP on a Dillon Square Deal?
If fed quality components and operated properly, will it make high quality bullseye ammo right out of the box?
Tell me about it please.

There is a Square Deal B set up for .45ACP for sale in Commercial Row
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t2277-wts-dillon-sdb-in-45-acp
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down