Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dillon Square deal B for newbie to reloading

+5
CR10X
Russ OR
Jack H
Chris Miceli
Mightyheb
9 posters

Go down

Dillon Square deal B for newbie to reloading Empty Dillon Square deal B for newbie to reloading

Post by Mightyheb Fri Mar 31 2017, 23:06

I apologize as I am sure this has been asked before but not in the past couple of years. Do you see any problem with someone new to reloading using a Dillon square Deal B vs a Single stage press. I will not be loading for rifle. I will most likely only load 45 ACP and maybe someday 9mm but not in the near future.  Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated
Mightyheb
Mightyheb

Back to top Go down

Dillon Square deal B for newbie to reloading Empty Re: Dillon Square deal B for newbie to reloading

Post by Chris Miceli Fri Mar 31 2017, 23:13

Get the Dillon square deal or 550, if you buy a single stage it will last you forever, but after your first 100 rounds you'll wonder why you didn't get a progressive of some kind.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Dillon Square deal B for newbie to reloading Empty Re: Dillon Square deal B for newbie to reloading

Post by Jack H Sat Apr 01 2017, 01:22

The 550 is far better if you think you will need ever a single function.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Dillon Square deal B for newbie to reloading Empty SDB vs 550B

Post by Russ OR Sat Apr 01 2017, 01:57

My 1st reloader: 
Dillon Square Deal B. - Used it for 12-13? years. It got me to a couple "on" matches & a Master Card. - Talking to Dillon once, they suggested I send it to them for a re-build/upgrade. Total cost to me: the shipping to send it to them.
Note: Only the SDB specific dies will work in it.- other mfr dies/ other Dillon Dies-won't work in the SDB.

A couple years ago I got A 550B (manual indexing-not auto indexing). I like the 550B better. Rock Solid & Simple and it holds the die settings more securely.
Sold my SDB for $120.00. The new owner has already gotten a few free parts from Dillon, including a new blue nylon block that holds the die settings.

On the 550B -remember: When the handle goes up the shell plate gets indexed !!!
Good luck, Russ

Russ OR

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sat Apr 01 2017, 07:18

When I started I loaded on a Squared Deal for .45 until I got enough money for a 650. The Square Deal will / can produce more than acceptable loads and is generally a good choice for the next step above single stage for a bullseye shooter on a budget. (Made master with loads from Square Deal, so the press will not be an issue). 

The 650 simply saves some time and can use regular dies.  Any Dillon you buy will generally return most of your money (even the Square Deal) if you decide this ain't the sport you thought it was or simply move to another press. 

Since you live in NC, you can borrow mine if you'd like to try one out.  It's been boxed up since the third 650 was installed and I quit shooting all those other "non bullseye" calibers. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Wells Sat Apr 01 2017, 10:40

Amother vote for the Dillon 550/550B, or 550C.

Last edited by Gary Wells on Sun Apr 09 2017, 10:18; edited 1 time in total

Gary Wells

Back to top Go down

Post by Mightyheb Sat Apr 01 2017, 11:41

CR

I sent you a PM
Mightyheb
Mightyheb

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Sat Apr 01 2017, 11:57

The Square Deal B is smaller, cheaper and easier to set up than other progressive presses. 

The priming system is a bit finicky and flips the occasional primer, but maybe that is just my machine. 

It is possible to switch the seater and crimper dies, but is otherwise pretty fool proof. 

The working area is pretty small and can be hard to see and sometimes to get fingers in there.

As mentioned it uses proprietary dies. They load good ammo, but you can't use standard dies so if you want a Redding Seater or a Lee Factory Crimp (as many do) you have to take the round our and put it in a single stage. I did this a few years for Camp Perry ammo, but decided it wasn't worth the effort (until I am HM in the running for the championships).

The available calibers are limited. It's fine for common pistol calibers but there's no option to load rifle or oddballs.

There is no option for a powder check stage, but if you pay attention and don't move shells around it's pretty hard to get a double charge or no charge in a progressive (unlike the 550).

Dillon's warranty and customer service is great as mentioned. I can't remember ever being charged for replacement parts. Usually as soon as I explain the problem they will say "we'll send you ... and that should fix it" and go on to explain any details about installations.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by KenO Sat Apr 01 2017, 20:22

I have a SqD, and a 550. The SD is all you need for pistol, the stroke is shorter, and it self indexes. The 550 with the long stroke isn't really needed, we only are resizing an inch of brass, the rest of the stroke is wasted motion. I can load faster with the SD than the 550, contrary to what the Dillon ad says.

I clean the brass, don't use any lube, and run them total progressive, (no separate priming/sizing, etc).

But.... if you do want to load other calibers, the SD is not a press you want to change calibers on, keep it as a dedicated .45 only. And, if you want to load rifle, the SD is a no go.

In summery, if you want to load various calibers, or rifle, go with the 550. If you just want just one caliber, the SD is just fine. I've had no primer issues at all with it, I have had a couple minor things with the 550, and none with the Hornady LNL AP. Maybe I'm just lucky.

I only load rifle on a single stage Rockchucker.

KenO

Back to top Go down

Post by Left handed troglodyte Sat Apr 08 2017, 15:12

Have the SDB for all my pistol calibers - with all the add-on options.
See no reason or desire to upgrade... 9mm/38spl/357/40/44spl/44mag/45acp.

it does everything I need - with a small footprint; useful in small spaces.

Left handed troglodyte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down