Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CCI Mini Mag??

+2
Wobbley
JGW006
6 posters

Go down

CCI Mini Mag?? Empty CCI Mini Mag??

Post by JGW006 Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:08 am

If you have shot CCI Mini Mag 22lr, would you comment on its general performance?  I’m shooting a Ruger MK II (and somewhere I have a Model 41 that I need to find).

Edit - I found in my “stash” 400-500 rounds of the 22lr Mini Mags and a couple thousand rounds of Federal Premium Auto Match (or Gold Medal Auto Match, I forget the exact label) 22lr.

JGW006

Back to top Go down

CCI Mini Mag?? Empty Re: CCI Mini Mag??

Post by Wobbley Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:27 am

If your Federal Auto  Match are in bulk, they are likely loaded to 1200 fps which is a tad hotter than CCI SV.  It functions fine in my S&W 41.  

As for Mini-Mag CCI, it will be ok in your Rugervand very likely fine in a 41.  S&W sets up their 41s for CCI SV ammo.  But I don’t know of any specific limit on using SV ammo only in the 41.  The High Standard 22 auto target pistols DO have a restriction against other than SV ammo, but I don’t think there’s an official restriction for the S&W.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:57 am

Caution on HV in the 41.  The rear heavy half of the slide has been known to crack at the corner joining the front lighter half.  Jerry Keefer had a pic in his gallery of a welded repair of such a crack.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Dan Webb Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:30 pm

Jack H wrote:Caution on HV in the 41.  The rear heavy half of the slide has been known to crack at the corner joining the front lighter half.  Jerry Keefer had a pic in his gallery of a welded repair of such a crack.
I have that crack on my m41. This gun has NEVER been fired with even one round of high velocity ammo. Every round fired through this gun has been CCI sv, other than a couple of boxes of CCI pistol match. I wouldn't take a chance with mini-mag. SV is readily available for the same price as MM.

Dan Webb

Back to top Go down

Post by JGW006 Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:13 am

Thank you all.

JGW006

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:38 pm

I put 1000's of rounds of Win Super X thru my A series 41. I paid the price later when it stopped functioning with SV ammo. I had to replace the bolt. 

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by tomd999 Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:20 pm

Hiya,

The Ruger MK2 will run CCI mini-mags until you get tired of loading them into the mags. I have one I've used for instruction for the last 30 years or so that I run the cheapest ammo I can get, the only things I've replaced is the firing pin return spring and the recoil spring assembly. 

The 41's would likely need an extra power recoil spring to keep the slide velocity down with high velocity ammo and I would recommend a shock buffer to eliminate the metal to metal slap of the slide every round. I've seen a couple 41's damaged by a constant diet of HV ammo over years. 

My three 41's all have reduced Wolff springs (7# for Aguila SE in practice, 6.5# for Eley or SK at matches) and a Buffer Tech shock buff in them, I find the pistols cycle smoother/less jarring with that setup. (I cut the shock buff in half with a sharp blade, it's a bit thick and I had few failure to pick up the next round as the bolt was just about clearing the rear edge of the mag with the thick buffer, with the shorter buffer, no issues.)

tomd999

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down