Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help with scope creep

+10
jjfitch
rich.tullo
rrampe
Cmysix
Kp321
BE Mike
javaduke
Rodger Barthlow
Tripscape
DA/SA
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Please help with scope creep

Post by Tripscape 12/20/2023, 4:11 pm

Got a revolver with weaver base and rings, and a long eye relief scope.  All in very deep blue high polished. Looks great, but since all parts are polished I am having scope creep that is rotational to the right.  Even clamped very tight the scope rotates slightly but noticeably to the right after few reloads.  

I know there are many methods to tighten up the play, but which would be best for high polish to high polish? I am thinking blue Loctite, is that the best solution?  Note - not looking to remove or alter any material on scope or rings. 

Thanks!

Tripscape

Posts : 837
Join date : 2019-03-23

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by DA/SA 12/20/2023, 5:02 pm

One wrap of very thin paper  around the scope where the rings contact it.

Thin like the page of a phone book used to be.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Posts : 1389
Join date : 2017-10-09
Age : 68
Location : Southeast Florida

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Tripscape 12/20/2023, 5:11 pm

Interesting.  I figured painters tape is a no go since adhesive part actually provides a thin layer of lubrication.  
Paper only - makes sense as paper is a mild abrasive. Why thin though?  I would think thinner the paper the less abrasiveness?

Tripscape

Posts : 837
Join date : 2019-03-23

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Rodger Barthlow 12/20/2023, 7:16 pm

I have always used aluminum foil under my scopes and have never had one to slip or roll. Paper will soak up oil or water so I wouldn't use it.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Posts : 337
Join date : 2013-08-10

Gustavo1957 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Tripscape 12/20/2023, 7:26 pm

Will the foil mar surfaces? How and how much to use?

Tripscape

Posts : 837
Join date : 2019-03-23

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by javaduke 12/20/2023, 10:49 pm

I used electrical tape, just one thin strip inside the lower half of the ring is usually enough.

javaduke

Posts : 716
Join date : 2012-07-04

https://eb-custom.us

mbmshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Rodger Barthlow 12/21/2023, 8:13 am

Tripscape wrote:Will the foil mar surfaces? How and how much to use?
I have never had a problem with the foil marring the finish on a glossy scope or semi-gloss finish.
What I have seen on a semi-gloss finish is some of the foil rub off leaving a light silver flaking which can be wiped off with a oil cloth. The semi-gloss finish being rough acks like sandpaper.
I cut the foil so it will incircle the whole tube, so you get equal pressure all the way around the scope tube.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Posts : 337
Join date : 2013-08-10

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by BE Mike 12/21/2023, 8:22 am

I've always used a small piece of the tan masking tape on the inside of the rings. Works for me.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Posts : 2473
Join date : 2011-07-29
Location : Indiana

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Kp321 12/25/2023, 10:09 pm

Powdered rosin in the rings is non marring and will keep the scope in place.

Kp321

Posts : 227
Join date : 2019-06-17

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Cmysix 12/26/2023, 3:36 pm

Shim plastic, different thicknesses get the five pack
Cmysix
Cmysix

Posts : 337
Join date : 2022-12-23
Age : 66
Location : Opelika Alabama

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Tripscape 12/26/2023, 5:12 pm

Thank you all. Will try your suggestions in coming 2 weeks.

Tripscape

Posts : 837
Join date : 2019-03-23

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by rrampe 12/26/2023, 5:20 pm

I've always put a drop or two of blue Loctite on the rings since i was using it on the fasteners anyway.

rrampe

Posts : 18
Join date : 2023-10-21
Location : Honeoye,NY

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Tripscape 12/26/2023, 5:35 pm

Here is the setup. I need to fully disassemble to assess curvature of the rings. Maybe they are not perfectly concentrical, in which case I will shim with suggested paper, aluminum or plastic. Revolver is 19-5, but I will shoot 38 special only, no magnums. Previous owner did the same, but barely used it. Gun is as new with almost no indications of use.

Please help with scope creep Screen54

Tripscape

Posts : 837
Join date : 2019-03-23

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by rich.tullo 12/28/2023, 9:52 am

Kp321 wrote:Powdered rosin in the rings is non marring and will keep the scope in place.
+1
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Posts : 1927
Join date : 2015-03-27

Foundryratjim likes this post

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Dental type rubber band from kids braces.

Post by jjfitch 12/28/2023, 10:13 pm

Tripscape wrote:Here is the setup. I need to fully disassemble to assess curvature of the rings. Maybe they are not perfectly concentrical, in which case I will shim with suggested paper, aluminum or plastic. Revolver is 19-5, but I will shoot 38 special only, no magnums. Previous owner did the same, but barely used it. Gun is as new with almost no indications of use.

Please help with scope creep Screen54

I have used the small rubber bands from kid's dental bands, natural rubber and non-marring!
jjfitch
jjfitch

Posts : 142
Join date : 2012-08-31
Age : 77
Location : The Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Tripscape 12/28/2023, 10:48 pm


I have used the small rubber bands from kid's dental bands, natural rubber and non-marring!
THANK YOU!  That makes all the sense to try first. It happens that my kids just had braces and had to wear those thin rubber bands to pull bottom and top teeth together.   I will stack several to make a wider ring. They are perfect diameter and very sticky. Your comment made my light bulb glow.

Tripscape

Posts : 837
Join date : 2019-03-23

jjfitch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Tripscape 1/5/2024, 4:55 pm

Reporting back:
Upon removing the rings found that there was tons of oil all over the inside rings and scope. No idea why.

Paper, foil and rubber bands were a no-go as I could stil manually rotate the scope after tightened. Do not have rosin to try.

Blue loctite was applied and feels very tight. Will try next week at the range.

Ps. Centering a reticle was a major headache with this ring type.

Tripscape

Posts : 837
Join date : 2019-03-23

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Rodger Barthlow 1/5/2024, 8:20 pm

In your pictures if I'm seeing right the rings look like the older Weaver style rings that hook on one side and has two screws to draw the rings down when tightened.
I would be looking for a different set of rings.
Rodger Barthlow
Rodger Barthlow

Posts : 337
Join date : 2013-08-10

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Rubber bands!!

Post by jjfitch 1/5/2024, 8:31 pm

Tripscape wrote:Reporting back:
Upon removing the rings found that there was tons of oil all over the inside rings and scope. No idea why.

Paper, foil and rubber bands were a no-go as I could stil manually rotate the scope after tightened. Do not have rosin to try.

Blue loctite was applied and feels very tight. Will try next week at the range.

Ps. Centering a reticle was a major headache with this ring type.
If the rubber bands and proper torque aren't working, then you have an issue with the rings unable to apply the proper friction! 
Are you applying torque in the neighborhood of 18-24 inch pounds to the ring tightening screws? Smile
jjfitch
jjfitch

Posts : 142
Join date : 2012-08-31
Age : 77
Location : The Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Froneck 1/6/2024, 7:33 am

Machines that have Morse, B&S or other type tapers to hold tapered shank drills or tapered tool holding devices such as a drill chuck applying Talcum Powder to the taper before inserting it will lock the shank and hole so it will not spin. Also makes the 2 hard to separate. Very little is used, clean the taper of oil, dust it with Talc and wipe it off with a clean dry cloth. that is all the talc that is needed!
 Do the same with scope rings, prevents movement but easy to dissemble when required since it will not stick and rings will seperate to remove the scope.

Froneck

Posts : 1673
Join date : 2014-04-05
Age : 76

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by -TT- 1/6/2024, 8:33 am

Froneck wrote:Machines that have Morse, B&S or other type tapers to hold tapered shank drills or tapered tool holding devices such as a drill chuck applying Talcum Powder to the taper before inserting it will lock the shank and hole so it will not spin. Also makes the 2 hard to separate. Very little is used, clean the taper of oil, dust it with Talc and wipe it off with a clean dry cloth. that is all the talc that is needed!
 Do the same with scope rings, prevents movement but easy to dissemble when required since it will not stick and rings will seperate to remove the scope.

It's getting harder and harder to find real talcum powder, guess we'd better stock up! I like this idea much better than rosin, tape or aluminum foil.
-TT-
-TT-

Posts : 608
Join date : 2016-10-18

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Common blackboard chalk!

Post by jjfitch 1/6/2024, 10:08 am

-TT- wrote:
Froneck wrote:Machines that have Morse, B&S or other type tapers to hold tapered shank drills or tapered tool holding devices such as a drill chuck applying Talcum Powder to the taper before inserting it will lock the shank and hole so it will not spin. Also makes the 2 hard to separate. Very little is used, clean the taper of oil, dust it with Talc and wipe it off with a clean dry cloth. that is all the talc that is needed!
 Do the same with scope rings, prevents movement but easy to dissemble when required since it will not stick and rings will seperate to remove the scope.

It's getting harder and harder to find real talcum powder, guess we'd better stock up! I like this idea much better than rosin, tape or aluminum foil.

If the rubber bands and proper torque don't work and you can't find talc, maybe common blackboard chalk will work for your purpose! 
Just use a file to shave some chalk powder off where needed! Smile
jjfitch
jjfitch

Posts : 142
Join date : 2012-08-31
Age : 77
Location : The Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Tripscape 1/6/2024, 10:48 am

Rodger Barthlow wrote:In your pictures if I'm seeing right the rings look like the older Weaver style rings that hook on one side and has two screws to draw the rings down when tightened.
I would be looking for a different set of rings.

Yes, an older style. Pressure on the top may or certainly is not applied throughout. Bottom is cut very nice though. I applied loctite liberally and will see how it all holds. Thank you all who provided responses!

Tripscape

Posts : 837
Join date : 2019-03-23

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Froneck 1/6/2024, 3:02 pm

Loctite requires metal contact to harden. Use on aluminum and stainless steel requires a hardening agent to speed the hardening. When ever I use loctite on anything other than steel I put a drop on a clean steel plate, stir it around like mixing epoxy then applying it to what ever I need the loctite. Scopes and rings are anodized then dyed to get the color desired so loctite may not harden in scope rings. In addition another coating might be applied to get that nice surface finish That's why I have loctite contact steel before use on non steel items.

Froneck

Posts : 1673
Join date : 2014-04-05
Age : 76

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Tripscape 1/6/2024, 4:10 pm

Is that with all loctite or specific colors? I used blue.

Tripscape

Posts : 837
Join date : 2019-03-23

Back to top Go down

Please help with scope creep Empty Re: Please help with scope creep

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum