Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Pistol Shooting"

+4
DA/SA
Gustavo1957
bruce martindale
jwax
8 posters

Go down

"Pistol Shooting" Empty "Pistol Shooting"

Post by jwax 12/21/2023, 7:48 pm

I find many Precision Pistol shooters have zero interest in reading about how to shoot better, and some can't get enough written material to improve their scores. To each their own.

Whichever you may be, "Pistol Shooting" by Hans Standl was published in 1975, and has many of the common factors of becoming a better shooter. Author was an Olympic competitor in the 1960's, and his training methods are beneficial even today.

Found a copy on ebay.
jwax
jwax

croesler likes this post

Back to top Go down

"Pistol Shooting" Empty Re: "Pistol Shooting"

Post by bruce martindale 12/21/2023, 9:02 pm

I feel your pain…

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Pinetree, Gustavo1957 and JRV like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gustavo1957 12/22/2023, 7:36 am

Time of year to be Thankful, especially  for Bruce's continual help in the precision shooting process !
Last Friday night I didn't shoot my 280 average, 273 instead in CNY League. We traveled 1.25 hours to get there and then rushed into 1st string. I should have waited. Real mistake was not reviewing my shooting card and getting my mind lined up to trigger control finger. It took me a couple days to realize what I did incorrectly. Mostly I jerked the trigger with lower shot placement after reviewing targets.  Other team members also had lower scores.

I was able to redeem myself in Wednesday night Schoharie Pistol League with a 290. Match was only 20 minutes away which is a plus. I spent more time with physical training: Shoulder stretching with resistance bands, extended weights and timing holds with hand extensions and  finger strength devices - I have 3 different ones. Dry fire trigger activation for muscle memory.
"Pistol Shooting" Target10
I'm fortunate to have been able to see Bruce in person 2x's to  give his presentation on Bullseye shooting. 

At 66 my goal is to improve to 285 average. And contemplating would a new gun help?

Wishing everyone Happy Holidays !

Gustavo1957

bruce martindale and JHHolliday like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 12/22/2023, 8:05 am

Nice work!
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 12/22/2023, 8:08 am

"Pistol Shooting" Img_1713"Pistol Shooting" Img_1713

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 12/22/2023, 8:11 am

"Pistol Shooting" Img_1716

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 12/22/2023, 8:12 am

Keep a journal?"Pistol Shooting" Img_1717

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 12/22/2023, 9:12 am

Someone said “ Go big, or go home “ well I have enough background so Im going big.

I have training sessions planned for Central NY, Long Island, NH, Ohio, and check this: even India.

I can't Bikar, l’m no BZ, JZ, Hendo or AMU god but I coached SAFS at Camp Perry and l have gotten enough shooters shooting much better than ever before. you’re interested, see the Feeling Center banner ad on this home page for contact information and I’ll try to figure something out for your group too. It aint gonna be easy but it sure will be good! Thanks all and Merry Christmas

Last edited by bruce martindale on 12/22/2023, 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total

bruce martindale

ermakevin, Gustavo1957 and samtoast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 12/22/2023, 10:41 am

bruce martindale wrote:Keep a journal?

I dont know how it's supposed to work but if I write something down my inner self then feels free to forget that information.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 12/22/2023, 10:47 am

Reread them, often

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax 12/22/2023, 8:34 pm

Interesting that nowhere in the Hans Standl book does he mention keeping a journal. Perhaps a journal is a modern addition to tracking and improving ones skills.
Again, to each their own.
"Pistol Shooting" Books10
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by hammerli 12/23/2023, 11:07 pm

Gustavo1957 wrote:Time of year to be Thankful, especially  for Bruce's continual help in the precision shooting process !
Last Friday night I didn't shoot my 280 average, 273 instead in CNY League. We traveled 1.25 hours to get there and then rushed into 1st string. I should have waited. Real mistake was not reviewing my shooting card and getting my mind lined up to trigger control finger. It took me a couple days to realize what I did incorrectly. Mostly I jerked the trigger with lower shot placement after reviewing targets.  Other team members also had lower scores.

I was able to redeem myself in Wednesday night Schoharie Pistol League with a 290. Match was only 20 minutes away which is a plus. I spent more time with physical training: Shoulder stretching with resistance bands, extended weights and timing holds with hand extensions and  finger strength devices - I have 3 different ones. Dry fire trigger activation for muscle memory.
I'm fortunate to have been able to see Bruce in person 2x's to  give his presentation on Bullseye shooting. 

At 66 my goal is to improve to 285 average. And contemplating would a new gun help?

hammerli

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 12/24/2023, 7:30 am

Gustavo1957 wrote:Time of year to be Thankful, especially  for Bruce's continual help in the precision shooting process !

With a sight adjustment, your SF score might have improved a little! Having said that, I can no longer shoot those scores. Good for you!
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax 12/24/2023, 8:16 am

So much for discussing the book. Anybody else read it?
Merry Christmas!
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 12/24/2023, 10:08 am

I have read it and many others as evidenced by the photos above. 

Sad thing is even at my peak, I didn’t know what l now know, but back then I couldn’t/ wouldn’t do what I do now. 

I’ll look at it again John. MC&HNY

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 12/24/2023, 10:30 am

Glancing through it, it’s shocking that there is next to nothing on the technique of gripping. All the guns shown, even US made revolvers employ droop grips. It’s been said that many a top level International shooter is crushed with a 1911. They talk a lot about breathing but I’ve been doing that ever since the doctor slapped my mother…

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

"Pistol Shooting" Empty Pistol Training

Post by jjfitch 12/25/2023, 5:06 pm

No love for the "US-AMU Pistol Training Guide"! 
It's a PDF and can be downloaded in a couple of formats. Wink

Last edited by jjfitch on 12/25/2023, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by jjfitch 12/25/2023, 5:06 pm

No love for the US-AMU Pistol Training Guide! 

It's a PDF and can be downloaded in a couple of formats. Wink
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Merick 12/26/2023, 11:47 am

I have a 1960s amu pistol manual, and it has illustrations copied from yur yev, which would not be available to the public in print until 1985.

Merick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down